Remembered Today:

david west

24th Field Ambulance

80 posts in this topic

A though on these three, will try to dig a bit more later. 5th OBLI was reduced to a cadre and surviving men dispersed to other Bns in April 1918.  Although one of these first served overseas with the 2nd, my guess is they were all part of this dispersal.

Dear Johntanner,

Your help is very much appreciated!

With kindest regards,

Andre

On 01/04/2017 at 00:29, aldlb57 said:

Dear Sotonmate,

I found this Sherwood Forester in dispatches. I wonder if he could be our man.

What do you think?

With kindest regards,

Andre

G.Lowe Sherwood Foresters.jpg

Andre

This soldier died on 15 June 1918 while serving with 9 Battalion Y&L in 33 Infantry Brigade of 11 Division.

Dear Sotonmate,

Thanks for this information. 

Apart from the fact that options are narrowing down (which is always good news), it still remains that there are so many sad stories of men not coming home. 

This is one of them.

With kindest regards,

Andre

ID: 80   Posted (edited)

Andre

Yesterday at Kew. 2/Lieutenant/Lieutenant Dudley Frederick WILKINS.

British Army Lists 1918/1919 have no apparent entry for DFW in either Index or West Yorkshire Regiment pages.

Indian Army Lists sampled 1919/1920/1923/1930/1935 don't show him either.I checked the List of Departures in each one in case there was a premature discharge, but none seen.

Re-checked the WO338 Index. WO338/221/1 has no entry.

Re-checked WO339 and WO374 Officer files, no result. In this case the papers may have followed him to whatever he did next, and they MIGHT be with the Indian records in the British Library, London. More likely that he has records here but not in the public domain due to my later info about him serving again, but could be in parts in both places !

Some facts: Born Camberwell London 1895.In 1911 he was living with parents Frederick and Hannah at 7 Rosslyn, Ellers Road, LEEDS. Yorkshire, and 2 brothers and a sister.

He worked in a clothing factory where Dad was the Manager and he a Tailoring Trimmer. I suspect that he met his future wife there,married 1929 in Leeds, Cora Elaine ARNOLD was a Dressmaker Apprentice, so feasibly in the same factory ! They had 3 children : Patricia, June 1932,Terence A,10 May 1936 and Linda (?) R, June 1943.and still in Leeds.

I came across him again in military mode in 1939. Still living in Leeds he had been mobilised in the Territorial Army and served as a Battery Quartermaster Sergeant (if you have to use this title again the abbreviation is BQMS !), number 864018 of 66 Anti-Aircraft Regiment of the Royal Artillery. Discharged to Class Z Reserve on 17 Aug 1945 as over-age (50). This info suggest that he was in the TA between the wars .

Need to explore links from the children in the hope that you can find a descendant. Found one possible, Patricia seems to have married a TILLOTSON in Dec 1962 but have got no further due to "tempus fugit" !

Edited by sotonmate