Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wcfree2

royal Hibernia Military School

7 posts in this topic

My grandfather and his brother were both students at Royal Hibernia in Dublin prior to enlistment at age 14, my GF into the Royal Artillery.

My understanding is the school was for sons of soldiers serving overseas. Are there any sites which would provide info on the students and what the curiculum would have been?

Thank you

Warren

My GF was also at this school along with his brothers. In his case, his father was dead. He left at 14 and went into the Camerons as a boy soldier.

When I enquired a couple of years back on the Duke of York's School, I was given to understand that their records went to the National Army Museum. I've not checked that out (yet) but they may also have those of the Royal Hibernia. If any one knows more about this I'd be please to learn from them.

Regards

Edwin

Nominal rolls are held at the National Archives:

WO 143/78 Nominal roll of boys joining the Royal Hibernian Military School 1847 Jan 01 - 1877 Dec 31

WO 143/79 Nominal roll of boys joining the Royal Hibernian Military School 1878 Jan 01 - 1907 Dec 31

Also these:

WO 143/26 Royal Hibernian Military School, alphabetical index 1910-1958

WO 143/27 Royal Hibernian Military School, boys' index book [c1803-1919]

TR

Warren

There was a book published a few years ago called "The History of the Royal Military School, Dublin, which I bought at the time and have somewhere, but I have just spent the last 20 minutes looking for it, and for the life of me I can't find it anywhere. It must be in a box in the attic, the builders are in you see. I didn't find any copies for sale on ABE Books but did find a reference for it in the Library of Congress Catalogue. Hope this is of some use.

http://catalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.c...Sf-tCP2REUFaWe9

Regards, Tommy.

Warren

Whilst looking for something else I have found an article in Volume XXVI of the Irish Sword entitled - "The last Roll Call of the Royal Hibernian School Military School, 1924." Nothing on the curriculum I'm afraid but a complete list of the last roll and a fantastic picture of the last pupils headed up by the last Adjutant Major S W Harris, Royal Irish Regiment, taken at Shorncliffe in June 1924.

Regards, Tommy.