Remembered Today:

Alibear27

Hoole War Memorial, Chester

33 posts in this topic

Hello again, check your forum mail for a message. Regards, Jules

2nd Lt Thomas Carline 18th Kings Liverpool Regiment

Thomas Carline was born on 17 Dec 1887 at 93 Francis St, Chester, the third son of John and Elizabeth Carline; his father was a Post Office clerk and later a superintendent. He was baptised at St John the Baptist church on 21 March 1888. The family moved to 19 Hamilton Street in Hoole and the 1911 census describes Thomas as a clerk with a soap manufacturer (Lever Bros.); he lived in Port Sunlight after his marriage to Edith Hallam in Q4 1917 and is also named on the Port Sunlight Memorial which commemorates Lever Bros employees. In 1911 his father had bought a plot of land on Grove Road and built ‘Leaholm’ where Dorothy (daughter of Thomas’s brother John and his wife) was born in 1912. It is not clear when Thomas joined up but it must have been early in the war as he was awarded the 1915 Star. He rose to be Company Quartermaster Sergeant in The Kings (Liverpool Regiment) and was promoted to temporary 2nd Lt attached to the 15th Battn Lancashire Fusiliers. Thomas was killed on 30 September 1918 during the Battle of the St Quentin Canal, when the 46th (N Midland) Division stormed the Hindenburg Line at Bellenglise and took 4000 prisoners and 700 guns. He is buried in the Uplands cemetery at Magny-la-Fosse, in the St Quentin district of Picardy.

Nice biography Mike!

Thomas Carline had joined the Kings Liverpool as early as September 1914. After officer training for the Lancs Fusiliers he had only been back at the front for 2 weeks when he was killed.

Photo :

post-41657-0-91356900-1363599686_thumb.j

Thomas W Baker (Hoole War Memorial) was my Great Uncle.

Annie Baker, his sister, was my grandmother and the family lived in Sumpter Pathway, Hoole.

He was a railway clerk before signing up for WW1

He died in March 1918, and is commemorated at Pozieres.

Any further information would be very welcome.

Thank you - Jane

Hi all,

Thanks to a your hard work and assistance from Hoole History and Heritage Society we are down to 6 names we can't identify -

I. Jones

J. Lauder

T. Leonard

H. Meacock

H. Morris

A. Reynolds

We've also unearthed about another 30 Hoole men who lost their lives and are not listed on the memorial mostly via the newspaper archives. It would have been interesting to see how they collated the names for inclusion, but no paperwork has come to light as yet.

Thanks in advance,

Alison Greenwood

Hi all,

Thanks to a your hard work and assistance from Hoole History and Heritage Society we are down to 6 names we can't identify -

I. Jones

J. Lauder

T. Leonard

H. Meacock

H. Morris

A. Reynolds

We've also unearthed about another 30 Hoole men who lost their lives and are not listed on the memorial mostly via the newspaper archives. It would have been interesting to see how they collated the names for inclusion, but no paperwork has come to light as yet.

Thanks in advance,

Alison Greenwood

On 15/05/2010 at 17:05, KevinBattle said:

WILBRAHAM FW 407162 25TH BN 25/01/1921 THE KING'S (LIVERPOOL REGIMENT)

WILBRAHAM F 4130 1ST/5TH BN 11/08/1916 CHESHIRE REGIMENT

Pictures of both cn be found HERE

Simon

I am researching a lady Annie Roberts aged 20, originally from Holyhead, who lived in Lightfoot Street Hoole when she died of the Spanish Flu on the 12th November 1918. She had been in the WRAF at Ledsham. I was wondering if anyone had any information about her that they are willing to share?

Phil Roberts