Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John Gilinsky

Verlustlisten ONLINE 1914 complete and 1915 nearly so

103 posts in this topic

http://www.wbc.poznan.pl/dlibra/publication?id=129687&tab=3

This is the direct link to a Poznan, Poland library's major digital collections available online for free of the official Imperial German Army's casualty lists as published in the Army Orders.

ALL of 1914 has been digitized and much of 1915 as well.

For the general description of other digitized collections of materials by or affiliated with this Poznan, Poland library's collections see:

http://www.wbc.poznan.pl/dlibra/collectiondescription

Hope this helps people.

John

Thanks John, what a great find!

I thought these documents were lost in february 1945? (If they are Prussian, that is).

Any idea if/when other years will be published?

Roel

Note that you need the free djvu browser plugin to open these. Once installed, works like a charm!

Caminova Inc. - Free DJVU Plugin

This is a fantastic resource...thanks for sharing this!

-Daniel

PS I added this resource to my 'Researching a German Soldier' page...

You are welcome gentlemen and thank you for your compliments. I know that the completeness and the practical continuity from August 1914 to latter 1915 also makes tracking officially reported casualties far more easier now at least for the German Army. I would suggest a polite bilingual (Polish / English) email(s) to the Poznan Poland library to inquire if or when they intend to put up the latter part of 1915 and onwards of these Verlustlisten (produced until I believe at least March 1919).

John (aka Hans)

I've sent an email, will post an answer as soon as I get one

Roel

Gueten werk Soldat! Herr Gilinsky!

Stay tuned : I may have other really neat links for primary sources!

Hans (aka John)

Just got this very quick reply to my email (sent earlier this evening) asking about Verlustliste from other years:

If we find it in our libraries we will provide it to Digital Library of Wielkopolska.

Best wishes

Mirosław Górny

Poznań Foundation of Scientific Libraries

Just got this very quick reply to my email (sent earlier this evening) asking about Verlustliste from other years:

If we find it in our libraries we will provide it to Digital Library of Wielkopolska.

Best wishes

Mirosław Górny

Poznań Foundation of Scientific Libraries

Great news...I guess we'll just have to peek in now and again and see what gets added.

-Daniel

Hello John,

indeed you are a star!! You made a very valuable find and it´s great that Polish sources are delivering their treasures online for us.

I would be very glad to get also the casulaty lists of the next years.

Fritz

Danke fuer ihre komment Herr Fritz!

Hans (aka John)

Kanada

N.B.: Upon re-examination of the actually currently available issues a correction is in order - only up to FEBRUARY 1915 (from August 1914) are online currently and NOT latter or late 1915 issues. Nevertheless a cooperative venture between say Hungary, Rumania, Bulgaria for example who were Central Powers during the war and would have undoubtedly received multiple copies of such lists probably should turn up many more issues!

John

Can't wait, I'm sure there's a lot more waiting to be (re-)discovered...

Bob Lembke has some concerns regarding the Polish Library link. See HERE

Mike

Gentlemen;

I was very excited when I saw this source for accessing the Verlustlisten, but when I tried to I could not open it, and then a pop-up appeared on my computer offering software that said that it could open the files (I think - memory of exact scenario imperfect), and also assuring me that it was a Microsoft-approved product. In a weak moment I down-loaded it, and it has started doing uninvited things on my computer. It is called RegWorks, and a bit of research suggests that it is not very good in doing what it is intended to do - "register cleaning" - that this activity is a dubious idea possibly more dangerous than useful - and that the people behind it (Chinese,. I think) do various fast and loose things with your billing and credit card #s if you gave them one.

I am suddenly exausted, it is about 2:18 AM here, but I wanted to caution people about this. I am puzzled why this program (which does not seem to do file conversions) popped up. A lot of computer scams and viruses come out of Eastern Europe, largely due to educated smart people with little job opportunities for their computer skills, possibly the RegWorks people have some "marketing" arraingement with some Polish hackers. Maybe not.

However, watch out for this RegWorks. I am going to attempt to get professional advice on how to completely get rid of this parasitic software. I saw a letter from a Microsoft official denying that it is a Microsoft-approved product.

Bob Lembke

PS: But I am excited at the prospect of accessing the Verlustlisten, which I have considerable interest in. John, thanks for your work. My comments are no reflection on your work.

Gruss aus Philadelphia,

Bob Lembke

Bob Lembke has some concerns regarding the Polish Library link. See HERE

Mike

Mike kindly helped me re-discover this thread, which I could not despite poking about for quite a while. (I mess about in many corners of this great Forum.) So I posted somewhere else, and Mike spotted my warning and guided me back here. Thanks, Mike.

You can research this RegWorks yourself, but I did a bit and found a great number of complaints, and a few elaborate positive attestations that seemed just too perfect and probably were forged plants. There is a lot of buzz that this "registry cleaning" or "register fixing" itself is a humbug and probably will do more damage than help.

Anyone else have this pop up? I use Windows 7 as an operating system, and Windows Explorer.

Bob Lembke

Bob

The files are in DjVu format and a browser plug-in is available from here http://www.caminova.com/en/downloads/download.aspx?id=1

Once they're visible in the browser, I tend to use CutePDF (http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp) to print them out as PDF files for later user. You could also save them as DjVu files and use something like Irfanview (http://www.irfanview.com/) to convert them into JPG or similar image files.

I'm afraid I can't help much with the REGWORKS problem but I expect all the major ati-virus makers - Norton, MCAfee, KAspersky etc - will have a tool for cleaning it up.

Glen

By the way, I see they now have 1st MAy to 15th June 1918 online too. :thumbsup:

Bob

The files are in DjVu format and a browser plug-in is available from here http://www.caminova.com/en/downloads/download.aspx?id=1

Once they're visible in the browser, I tend to use CutePDF (http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp) to print them out as PDF files for later user. You could also save them as DjVu files and use something like Irfanview (http://www.irfanview.com/) to convert them into JPG or similar image files.

I'm afraid I can't help much with the REGWORKS problem but I expect all the major ati-virus makers - Norton, MCAfee, KAspersky etc - will have a tool for cleaning it up.

Glen

By the way, I see they now have 1st MAy to 15th June 1918 online too. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the several items of good advice. I have Kapersky, chosen and installed by the engineering university computer clinic that I was sent to last year when I suffered an absolutely terrible virus attack. I will read their material carefully and proceed. Recently I was very impressed; I had seen something interesting on the Internet while surfing about, I moved my cursor to click on it, and Kapersky popped up a message in my face, saying, roughly: "Do not even think of clicking on that item! It as absolutely loaded with viruses and malware. Leave the room quietly." I spend about 11 hours on the computer a day, and have never seen such a message from Kapersky before or since (but I do see evidence that it occasionally knocks out a virus), so I am impressed.

I started this warning on the "Soldiers" sub-forum above this sub-forum, but Mike kindly guided me back to this original thread (I looked for 15 minutes and couldn't find it); there is more discussion there on this topic, including good advice from Egbert, but I just suggested that any further discussion of this narrow RegWork question occur here. However, I think that this sub-topic is played out, but as a last word: Avoid this RegWork, do not invite it into your home.

Thanks, everyone.

Bob

Considering the international scope of interests and the diverse softwares involved and not being a computer whiz I can only suggest common sense. I have successfully accessed the 1918 summer listings (August) that the library has recently posted. Again I would strongly recommend a polite concise email to the library thanking them for doing this and for continuing to think of researchers internationally.

Danke

Hans (aka John)

I agree with Hans. When I had to download a program I had never heard of to open files I had never heard of the word "malware" also came to mind.

Then again: if I'd be an internet-criminal with the intention to affect as many pc's as possible, I wouldn't use "Deutsche Verlustliste" from World War I as a decoy for the virus of whatever I'd want people to install.

So I took the chance, and I'm glad I did. What a great find! (and no "RegWorks"-popups)

The only problem is: I cannot find my great-grandfathers name. He was KIA 14-05-1918, but he doesn't show up in the list of that date. I've been checking up to 17-5, but nothing.

He was gefreiter in RIR 238 from Baden. Could that be an explanation?

(EDIT: Just found the answer: the Verlustliste mention the wounded/MIA/fallen from Preußen, Bayern, Württemberg, Sachsen, Marine & Schutztruppe).

If anyone can help me out with Verlustliste from Baden...?)

Roel

The date of the respective list should be the date on which it was issued and not the date of the casualty, which appears after the soldier's name. Casualties for Baden are included in the Prussian list.

The only problem is: I cannot find my great-grandfathers name. He was KIA 14-05-1918, but he doesn't show up in the list of that date. I've been checking up to 17-5, but nothing.

He was gefreiter in RIR 238 from Baden. Could that be an explanation?

(EDIT: Just found the answer: the Verlustliste mention the wounded/MIA/fallen from Preußen, Bayern, Württemberg, Sachsen, Marine & Schutztruppe).

If anyone can help me out with Verlustliste from Baden...?)

Roel

His family was notified iirc in september 1918, 4 months after his death. Does this mean I have to look in the Verlustliste of late august/september?

Roel

That will likely be when his name appeared on the list. There seems to a considerable variation in the time between casualty and being listed on the Verlustliste. Others here can provide a better answer as to how this worked.

Today the website stopped loading on my computer. Not sure if this is a problem with the site in general, or with my computer. Earlier I was having issues with the 1918 lists loading. Perhaps there is a connection.

Can't get a connection now either...

Can't get a connection now either...

Now some entity is attempting to bill me for services I never heard of. This is in line with some complaints about RegWork that I saw on the Internet. I did scan the RegWork system with my Kaspersky anti-virus system and it did not identify an actual virus in the package. But a virus would not service the purposes of this general pain in the butt. Perhaps tomorrow I will try to get rid of this with Kaspersky's utilities.

I am sure that the conversion utilities that have been recommended by forum Pals are fine. But if this RegWork system surfaces and offers to do the conversion for you, jank out your garlic, crosses, and holy water.

Bob

Sorry. Just researched and the surprise invoice is from my Internet supplier radically changing their name after a merger. Never notified me. This business is making me paranoid. But I saw multiple reports of multiple billings from RegWork for non-functional software on a computer complaints forum.

Bob