Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
steve fuller

German Unit identification & information?

14 posts in this topic

Im curious to find out what german units would have been involved in the attack on Montagne Bridge over the Crozat Canal on 23 March 1918, The maps i have give unit designations, but my ignorance doesnt allow me to know who they were! The designations read:

13.L

47R

3/Jager

If they are identifyable, is there likely a text from these German Unit's 'baise' readily available (diaries etc)? I imagine it would make interesting reading, certainly for me anyway!

Thanks again

Steve

Steve,

Without having my reference books at hand I would say you are looking at the 13th Landwehr Division, 211th Division, 47th Reserve Division and I am not sure of the other. I do not recall there being a Jäger division with the number 3, it most likely indicates a regiment or battalion unit. I would need to see my records first.

You will need to see what regiments formed these units in order to determine if there are any regimental histories available. As to other records and documents, most were probably destroyed in WWII bombing raids so the printed regimentals would be your best bet.

Ralph

You will need to see what regiments formed these units in order to determine if there are any regimental histories available.

Hi Ralph

Unfortunately, I have NO idea about the German Army as it stands. OK mate, Ill have a look around and learn about em!

Thank you

Steve

Steve check this link out, it might help??.

German Units ww1

Let me know if it does.

Glynn.

Ralph,

you are right, even without your reference books :)

The 13th Landwehr Division, 211th Infanterie Division and 47th Reserve Division belonged to 18th army.

Steve, which unit are you precisely looking for?

Hinrich

Steve, which unit are you precisely looking for?

Hinrich

Hi Hinrich

Im actually trying to establish which Units were involved in 2 specific 'action'. 21 to 23 March 1918, St Quentin area. Specifically attacking the Montagne Bridge over Crozat Canal, and fighting around Mennessis, and the fighting around Faiilouel on 23rd March.

The units I listed are shown on a British map as the German units fighting in that area. As well as identifying them, its probably very ambitious :huh: but Id be very interested to read THEIR accounts of the actions, and compare to the Beds Regiment's accounts.

And, as if I havent said it before once or twice, thanks Glynn!! :D

Steve

Hello Steve,

here are some informations regarding regimental accounts. Is that what you are looking for?

13. Landwehr Division, March 29th 1918

Landwehr Infanterie Regiment 15 no regimental history

Landwehr Infanterie Regiment 60 no regimantal history

Landwehr Infanterie Regiment 82

v. Trotha, Paul

Das Landwehr Infanterie Regiment Nr. 82

Erinnerungsblätter Preußen, volume 74

published by Stalling; Oldenburg 1923

211. Infanterie Division, March 29th 1918

Infanterie Regiment 27

Werner, Bernhard

Das Königlich Preußische Infanterie Regiment Prinz Louis Ferdinand von Preußen (2. Magdeburgisches) Nr. 27 im Weltkriege 1914-1918

Deutsche Tat im Weltkrieg, volume 5

published by Bernard & Graefe; Berlin 1933

Reserve Infanterie Regiment 75

Mahnke, Dietrich

Kriegstaten und Schicksale des Reserve Infanterie Regiments Nr. 75 1914/18

published by Hauschild; Bremen 1936

Infanterie Regiment 390

Schad, Adolf

Infanterie Regiment Nr. 390

Erinnerungsblätter Preußen, volume 286

published by Stalling; Oldenburg 1928

47. Reserve Division, May 5th 1918

Reserve Infanterie Regiment 218 no regimental history

Reserve Infanterie Regiment 219 no regimental history

Reserve Infanterie Regiment 220

Aeckerle, Emil

Geschichte des Reserve Infanterie Regiments Nr. 220 1914 - 1918

published by the author; Wiesbaden 1959

33 pages!

I hope this helps.

Hinrich

Hello Steve,

here are some informations regarding regimental accounts. Is that what you are looking for?

Hinrich

Hello Hinrich

I think this is what Im looking for, yes thank you very much indeed!

Excuse my ignorance again, but what are the dates listed with each unit? Are they the dates they cover until or when they were written?

Ive seen a book referred to 'German Units in WW1' or similar; is this likely to go into enough detail to identify which of the units attacked Montagne Bridge and Failleoul, or is it a case of going through the books 1 by one until I strike lucky?

Many thanks again

Steve

Hello Steve,

Excuse my ignorance again, but what are the dates listed with each unit?

It is the date, when they were published.

or is it a case of going through the books 1 by one until I strike lucky?

I am afraid, that's what you have to do, if you want to get exact informations.

Hinrich

Aeckerle, Emil

33 pages!

I hope this helps.

Hinrich

Dear Mr Hinrich !

I'm looking for that book by Emil Aeckerle - I live in Poland and looking for informations about 47 R.I.D. during Limanowa-Lapanow battle on eastern front from 2 december 1914 to 17 december 1914. This reserve division fought heavily with russians in some villages 25 km south from my home. Have You any idea where can I find this book. I met on internet family of the fallen soldier from 220 R.I.R. (died from wounds on 7-th december 1914) - they asked about any documents in Bundesarchiv in Freiburg but found nothing (all documents from this division were burnt on allied bombardment on Potsdam in april 1945).

T.I.A.

Radek

Aeckerle, Emil

33 pages!

I hope this helps.

Hinrich

RIR218 had a regimental association which published a newsletter called "Kameradschaft" from, it appears, 1926 to 1940.

RIR219 also had a regimental association (Bunde ehem. 159er/219er) that published a newsletter, which may contain first person narratives, a serialized history of the regiment, etc. The regimental history for IR159 might have information about RIR219.

Dear Mr Hinrich !

I'm looking for that book by Emil Aeckerle - I live in Poland and looking for informations about 47 R.I.D. during Limanowa-Lapanow battle on eastern front from 2 december 1914 to 17 december 1914. This reserve division fought heavily with russians in some villages 25 km south from my home. Have You any idea where can I find this book. I met on internet family of the fallen soldier from 220 R.I.R. (died from wounds on 7-th december 1914) - they asked about any documents in Bundesarchiv in Freiburg but found nothing (all documents from this division were burnt on allied bombardment on Potsdam in april 1945).

T.I.A.

Radek

In addition to the information I previously posted, you might be interested in the regimental history of RIR217, as it was part of the division during that period:

Link zu diesem Datensatz http://d-nb.info/578639459

Titel Das Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment Nr 217 im Weltkriege : Nach d. amtlichen Kriegstagebüchern / zsgest. Hans Schulze

Personen Schulze, Hans

Verleger Eisleben : Ed. Winkler

Erscheinungsjahr 1932

Umfang/Format XI, 312 S. : mit Skizzen, 1 Taf., 20 S. Abb., 2 Kt. ; gr. 8

Einband/Preis Lw. : nn 8

also if you google "47. Reserve-Infanterie-Division" there is a pdf file that begins with "Zur Geschichte der GARNISON HALBERSTADT". On scan #10 there is a brief account of the regiment.

Ken S , thank you very very much. If You'll need some help about eastern front (Especially West Galizia) you may count on me.

Sincerely Yours

Airacobra

Ken S , thank you very very much. If You'll need some help about eastern front (Especially West Galizia) you may count on me.

Sincerely Yours

Airacobra

Thanks kindly for the offer. I have a few future plans that may require that.