Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sepoy

The Birmingham City Battalions Book of Honour by Sir William Bowater

6 posts in this topic

Dear Forum Members

I am currently researching 2nd Lieutenant Harry Alfred Pattman who initially served in the 1st Birimingham Battalion (as 776 Private) and then the 2nd Birmingham Battalion.

I understand that the "The Birmingham City Battalions Book of Honour" by Bowater has photographs of each Platoon of the Birmingham City Battalions, and I would be extremely grateful if anyone could help me with details of his Platoon and possibly a scan of the relavant photograph.

Pattman was educated at King Edward's School, Birmingham, but I have failed to track down any school register detailing his time there. Again, any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Sepoy

Contact Terry Carter author of the excellent 'Birmingham Pals' and a member of the GWF

The roll of men granted a commission lists him as serving with the 1st Bn, the 14th:

14/776 Pattman, H. A. 14/10/14

Comrade in arms of my great-grandfather - see signature!

Can't see him in the lists of men - perhaps seeing his commission was in Oct 1914, he wasn't with the battalion when the list was compiled or the photos taken?

Alan is right - Terry C is your expert - I'm a dilettante!!

Good luck

However - 'The Service Record of King Edward's School Birmingham' has listed under record of service:

PATTMAN, H. A. (1902-9, y)

Oct. 1914 Sec. Lt., 15 R. War. R. Nov. 1915 Lt., 17 Bn. May

1916 Lt., A.S.C., M.T., Ireland. 1918 R.A.S.C, Workshop Off.,

France.

Looks like plenty of leads there...

Simon and Alan

Thank you so much for your help. I have a copy of his Service Papers and was attempting to fill a few holes.

I was just hoping that the Birmingham Book had a photo of him, but I will take your advice and contact Terry later this week. Unfortunately, Pattman is not mentioned in his book.

Many thanks

Sepoy

Morning Sepoy

I've been through my book twice, once by number and the second time by name, and can not see him on the 14th, 15th or 16th Battalion, or any of the attachments. I would definitely agree with Simon, and drop Terry a line.

However, if someone does uncovering on a page I'm more than happy to send you a copy.