Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dave8888

ww1 german poster?

18 posts in this topic

Hi all, first off, i didnt know what subforum to post this in, hope this is ok. I purchased this old poster today, lovely artwork and depiction. I am having difficulty in tracking down the artist.It has the wording at the bottom of the poster but i cannot make out the letters to translate it!!!!

It has the artists name but is unreadable but it says 1935 next to his signature.

Hope some one can help ( i dont even know what language it is, looks like German but in strange script).

post-56111-0-19133800-1330979275.jpg

post-56111-0-13559200-1330979286.jpg

post-56111-0-85576200-1330979299.jpg

Middle image...word...kameraden.

This poster is in Tommys Bar also and is a link to "I had a comrade".

Evocative and moving image!

TT

Middle image...word...kameraden.

This poster is in Tommys Bar also and is a link to "I had a comrade".

Evocative and moving image!

TT

Thanks so much TT. Tommys Bar is in Ypres, am i right?Also, what did you mean by 'link to' ' i had a comrade' ?

"Ich hatt' einen Kameraden" is a German military lament, a bit like "Flowers of the Forest" It is sung, and dates back to Napoleonic times. The Foreign Legion also use it.It is saluted when sung or played.Quite moving.

Thanks guys, it's a terrific picture, I can't stop looking at it!

I'm going to have it professionally framed , will be quite expensive, it's 69" x 89" !!

Can anyone decipher the other wording?

Very nice poster, your lucky to own it. Evocative and moving to say the least.

VR

Very nice poster, your lucky to own it. Evocative and moving to say the least.

VR

Thanks VR, right time right place comes to mind ;-)

Can anyone decipher the other wording?

I can certainly read it (I do so 3-5 hours a day, most days), but I can't see it.

Bob Lembke

Can anyone translate this part?........

post-56111-0-24110700-1331064074.jpg

Tommys bar is in Poziere, Somme. See my avatar, this is a cracking poster too and I had it framed at a cost but well worth the money!

TT

Hi Bob, I've enlarged the words ( last picture ). Can you translate/see it now ;-)

Hi Bob, I've enlarged the words ( last picture ). Can you translate/see it now ;-)

Just saw this.

A bit odd (and more difficult) as the inscription is printed (I assume), but the script is not printing script (i.e., Fractur), but handwriting script (i.e., Suetterlin and/or Kurrent), usually somewhat harder. I read 1-2-3 hours of Fractur a day, but have not read Suetterlin for a year or two. But, after warming up my brain for a couple of minutes:

Verlag Fritz Mauk Freiburg i. Lr.

Verlag is "printing house" or "publisher"

Fritz Mauk is the name of the publisher.

Freiburg i. Lr. is the location of the publishing, a city named "Freiburg" ("Free City") "im" = "in" "Lr. ", some geographic entity abbreviated to Lr.. If it was a. it would have been "am" or "on", as on a river, as in Frankfurt a. M., or Frankfurt on the Main (River). (My German geography is really bad.)

Bob

Got it?

Just saw this.

A bit odd (and more difficult) as the inscription is printed (I assume), but the script is not printing script (i.e., Fractur), but handwriting script (i.e., Suetterlin and/or Kurrent), usually somewhat harder. I read 1-2-3 hours of Fractur a day, but have not read Suetterlin for a year or two. But, after warming up my brain for a couple of minutes:

Verlag Fritz Mauk Freiburg i. Lr.

Verlag is "printing house" or "publisher"

Fritz Mauk is the name of the publisher.

Freiburg i. Lr. is the location of the publishing, a city named "Freiburg" ("Free City") "im" = "in" "Lr. ", some geographic entity abbreviated to Lr.. If it was a. it would have been "am" or "on", as on a river, as in Frankfurt a. M., or Frankfurt on the Main (River). (My German geography is really bad.)

Bob

Got it?

thanks Bob,that's great. Much appreciated indeed.

This forum just goes up and up in my estimation each time I need help on things!

You truly are a 'learned' man...........

I'm getting this framed on Saturday at a local store, bit pricey but well worth it, doesn't look 'right' laying on my rug with 4 bottles holding it down!!!!!!!!

Also, the poster is almost like a card , not too solid as it obviously rolls up, and the white 'framed' border and back has an aged yellowish tinge.

I think it must be a very old print.

Can you still buy this print anywhere today?

Thanks.

Can someone tell me where i can buy this print

Thank you all.

Bob you got to prctise more....

the city name is "Freiburg i. Br.." for Freiburg im Breisgau

the center image says "Kameraden"

dave 888 now I bought a copy of this poster of e bay mentioned it on the forum to maybe help I was then crashed and burned dont know why I bothered hope you enjoy yours as much as I do

Biff :thumbsup:

Print - not poster