Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris

German plane of FA62 - 3rd April 1916

6 posts in this topic

Wonder if any avaition experts could clarify or add to the info i already have surrounding an incident on 3rd April 1916. A small note in a diary of the 1/5th Lincs desribes a German plane brought down behind our lines on 3rd April 1916. At the time the location would have been behind Vimy Ridge. From info in 'Casualties of the German Air Service' i am sure this would make it a plane of FA62 recorded as piloted by Lt. Hans Ziemssen (death location given as Ecoivres). I am presuming the observer is Lt. Walter Kube listed next to Ziemssen in the book and death location given as St. Eloi (presuming this to be St Eloi next to Ecoivres and not the one up near Ypres).

Does anyone have any more info on the German plane, and or any more information about who shot it down or how it crashed, then this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

are you aware this is Immelmanns unit, so could be the highest scoring German unit before Jasta 2 got into its stride.

This Albatros was blue coloured and was engaged by a 18 Sqn Vickers FB5 Lt A L Findley/Lt Scott. After a 20 round burst the German broke clear but then ran into another Vickers from 11 Sqn and Capt D M Rawcliffe/Sgt Woodfield delivered the killer blow. lt crashed and the crew were killed. Location given as Souchez.German artillery completed the destruction.lt was the last definite kill for the FB5.

Hello Nils

Thank you for the additional information, exactly what i was looking for. I am aafraid i was ignorant of the history behind the German unit so thanks for adding to my knowledge. Slight bit of a mystery still concerns the grave of one of the two German airmen.

Ltn. Hans Ziemssen is straightforward, buried in Ecoivres Military Cemetery near the crash site, in grave French plot 1 Row B Grave 6.

I am nearly 100% sure that his observer Walter Kube is buried next to him in Grave 5 , however the details i have from the CWGC for this grave are H. Kube 23rd Oct 1918. Now maybe i have made a mistake in the recording of the data but surely H Kube must be Walter Kube of 3rd april 1916?

Thanks again nils

Chris

Hello Nils

Thank you for the additional information, exactly what i was looking for. I am aafraid i was ignorant of the history behind the German unit so thanks for adding to my knowledge. Slight bit of a mystery still concerns the grave of one of the two German airmen.

Ltn. Hans Ziemssen is straightforward, buried in Ecoivres Military Cemetery near the crash site, in grave French plot 1 Row B Grave 6.

I am nearly 100% sure that his observer Walter Kube is buried next to him in Grave 5 , however the details i have from the CWGC for this grave are H. Kube 23rd Oct 1918. Now maybe i have made a mistake in the recording of the data but surely H Kube must be Walter Kube of 3rd april 1916?

Thanks again nils

Chris

The CWGC arent 100% accurate so go with your gut feeling.The wreck caught fire so I D ing the bodies may not have been easy.

H for W and 8 for 6 are fairly likely errors from when the CWGC records were scanned and computerised. Ask th to check the original printed registers

Hi,

The Albatros will be an armed C-type

Cnock