Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mrfrank

Pte Alfred Goor - Lincolnshire Regiment

6 posts in this topic

Would anyone be able to provide any further information on this individual - he was a relative of one of my neighbours.

The only information that I have is his Lincs Regt service numbers from the MIC and this actual medals. These are 4931 [is this low number indicative of him being a pre-war regular?] and 201804.

Many thanks in advance.

The latter 201804 number suggests 4th Bn a Territorial Bn, check his medal card on Ancestry for "Theatre first served in" and "Date of entry therein" if there is something for both it'll narrow it down.

Edited to add, forget that, looks like his service record is on Ancestry http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?MS_AdvCB=1&db=BritishArmyService&rank=1&new=1&so=3&MSAV=2&msT=1&gss=ms_r_db&gsfn=alfred&gsfn_x=XO&gsln=goor&gsln_x=XO&_F0003C18=4931&dbOnly=_F0003C18%7C_F0003C18_x&_F0003C18_x=1&dbOnly=_F0003CA3%7C_F0003CA3_x&uidh=000 if you're not a member, take the free trial.

Sam

Hi

According to the Medal Roll for Alf Goor, he served initially with the 1/5th Battalion, transferred to the 1/4th at some point, then back to the 1/5th.

If you would like a copy message me with an email address and I'll send you a copy.

Dick Whitworth

I forgot to mention that at the time of transfer to the 1/4th, he had his pre-war TF number, when he went back to the 1/5th, he had his new TF 1917 number.

telling us he went back to the 1/5th in or after 1971.

DW

He has some service records available on ancestry.........again if you message me, i will forward them to you.

In fact, it looks like the Medal roll could be wrong....he joined up 23.11.1915 in Spalding, where you would expect a Lincs TF man to join the 1/4th Battalion.

There it is on one of the pages, he joined the 1/4th, went to the 1/5th, and back to the 1/4th....they got the battalion listing the wrong way round.

Lived Kirton, near Boston, Lincs

Landed in France 14.11.1916

Posted to 1/5th 29.01.1918

No mention seen of the 3/4th Battalion.

DW

He transferred to the 1/5th when the 1/4th was disbanded. There was also a Frank Goor transferred to the 1/5th 27675, formerly 7th btn. Know very little about him i'm afraid except that he was likely to be a south lincs man.

S.