Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris_Baker

Mrs Alicia Palmieri VAD Archangel

5 posts in this topic

A quick Google and forum search reveals nothing about poor Alicia, who according to CWGC died on 15 May 1917. She has no known grave and is commemorated on the Archangel Memorial.

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/471973/PALMIERI,%20Mrs%20ALICIA

I thought she may have gone down with a ship or something but hers is the only death on that date who is commemorated on the memorial.

Any knowledge?

I sent Jim Strawbridge a lot of info about Alice Palmieri in 2011 for his register of women casualties so he might see this and reply. If not I'll post it here later.

Aled

Thanks, Aled. It is only idle curiosity on my part, so no rush.

Alicia was a VAD nurse. With information from Aled and my own researches what I have about her is as follows :-

Remarks: Alicia was born a British subject around 1872 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. She trained at the New York City Hospital and was later Superintendant at the Yellow Fever Hospital, Havana, Cuba under Major General William Crawford Gorgas, US Army Medical Corps. It was during the Spanish American War that she met her husband, Jean Baptist Palmieri (born 1/3/1868 in Ponce, Peurto Rico). Records show that she had been in New York around 1898 and on the 10th September 1911 she had arrived in El Paso, Texas on the Nacionale de Mexico from her home in Torreon, Mexico. She was on her way to Los Angeles. She was shown as aged 39, married, of fair complexion, dark hair and blue eyes. She was one of five nurses who left Waterloo on the 29th April 1915 bound for Kragujevac, Serbia via Salonica. In 'The Ladies Field' of 23rd October 1915 is a photograph of her and a brief report :- “Sister Palmieri nursed the typhus-stricken Serbians at Kragujevac under conditions calculated to daunt the bravest. Subsequently they were able to move into two buildings formerly used as stables, after having the floors cemented and the whole place fumigated and white-washed. Sister Palmieri is now temporarily in France”. In September 1916 she was deputed for duty to the Russo-Serbian Unit. Worked as a nurse at Petrograd, Russia. She gave her next of kin as Miss McMann, 21 Woodfield Crescent, Paddington, London. There is a photograph of her in the British Journal of Nursing (8th May 1915, page 387). Her husband registered for the US draft in September 1918 in San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas. He was shown to be a naturalised citizen, a government employee and living at 222 Camargo Street, San Antonio. He gave his nearest relative as Marjorie Palmieri (born 27th January 1912). This is probably a daughter born to him and Alicia. Marjorie’s mother’s maiden name was given as Vandewil suggesting that this was Alicia’s maiden name. He served in Belgium and returned to New York from Le Havre on the 23rd November 1920 aboard the SS La Savoie. When he applies for a passport in 1921 he gave his address as Santurce, Porto Rico. CWGC. YMP6 and YH show as Mrs Alice Palmeiri.

Very good stuff, Jim. Thank you. An interesting story indeed. Perhaps she died in Petrograd - I guess that would come into scope of the Archangel memorial.