Remembered Today:

AliceF

German cemeteries in France

580 posts in this topic

Thank you Jan.

Have you got something about those coffins made of terra-cotta I spoke about in my post #553?

On 11/05/2017 at 20:43, AliceF said:
On 25/04/2017 at 17:26, PascalMallet said:

Mons-en-Laonnois?

From time to time I still try to see if I can find out more about the cemeteries in post #552.

Could read the name Kasten, and there are two soldiers with the name Kasten buried in Mons-en-Lannois in 1917, but that is not really a proof, I know

I can read Hermann on that cross and it fits with KASTEN Hermann died 11/05/1917, so I think we can confirm that picture too.

17 hours ago, PascalMallet said:

Thank you Jan.

Have you got something about those coffins made of terra-cotta I spoke about in my post #553?

I have never read or seen anything about them.

There are some very interesting documents in your files, thanks for making them available. Unfortunately I had hoped to find in them also some information about the concentrations by the French in the early post-war years. Was there nothing about that in the archives?

Jan

Hi Jan,

I didn't took pictures of everything, but I didn't see anything about concentrations except lists where the bodies came from and they are in Dropbox. I didn't read ref. 19860710/2 (see content in PDF on Dropbox) and maybe it is interesting for you. Can you be more precise about what you need? I guess you have already asked VDK and ZAK archives. On Monday, I have to phone to VDK's French agency (called SESMA) for St-Laurent-Blangy cemetery, maybe they will give me some tracks about that matter.

I also have been told about another bunch of archives to see in Paris (I go there next week), as well as in Lille, but I guess it is more about cemeteries than moves. Maybe you can also read the book "Le Ballet des Morts" by Béatrix Pau, ISBN 978-2-311-100006-8, though it speaks 95% about French soldiers.

Pascal

On ‎2017‎-‎05‎-‎17 at 23:39, PascalMallet said:

As I told you, I ask a contact to take pictures at Dannevoux cemetery and I got them in the afternoon. Here are two, others are in Dropbox/Dannevoux

Hi,

thanks so much for following this up, Pascal! A pity that the violets are not there anymore, but things change. That's just how it is. But very nice to see an actual photo of the grave.

Christine