Remembered Today:

beestonboxer

Nurse Question. House Sister ?

6 posts in this topic

I am looking in to a nurses service record QAIMNSR and there is a letter in it mentioning service as a House Sister serving at No 6 General Hospital, can anyone give me any details on the duties of a House Sister please? this will hopefully make parts of the letter that are not quite so clear a little clearer.

Thanks Tim

Could it be Home Sister ?  In civilian hospitals this title was often given to the sister in charge of the Nurses Home.

NGG

I'm sure it will have been 'Home' Sister. Back in 2008 the wonderful Sue Light wrote in answer to a question of mine about Home Sisters: 

"The term Home Sister was widely, and I would say exclusively, used for the nurse who was responsible for overseeing a Nurses' Home - both the domestic arrangements and staff discipline. She was a sturdy soul, who had eyes in the back of her head, at least four pairs of ears, magic shoes that let her creep up on wayward nurses misbehaving, and the ability to go without sleep for weeks on end, enabling her to sit up all night, every night, just waiting for late-comers to climb in a window. I seem to recall that she passed away circa 1970.

I, and millions of other nurses, KNEW THAT WOMAN  :wacko: "

Thank you for the replies I expect Home Sister is correct , I have been looking at the letter again and it seems to be in context with the rest of the letter. Letter as follows.

Sister M.S Barwell QAIMNSR worked with me as Home Sister in the 6th General Hospital from 11/3/18 to 3/10/18 she did excellent work in the home taking a great interest in the staff and self  appointing herself in seeing to their comfort she was good tempered, tactful, energetic and reliable, and kept an excellent tone amongst the staff.

Photo taken during her service with the PCANSR during the 2nd Boer War. 

photo barwell.jpg

Home Sisters - their role during war was somewhat different to the role mentioned by the wonderful and sorely missed Sue Light.

A Home Sister in a hospital outside of England had to organise both the accommodation and feeding of the hospital nurses, not an easy job in some countries where 'western' food was not easily obtained, where foreign nationals did not speak good English and had a different work ethic, and suppliers were unreliable. There are some wonderful stories about the work of these women, and how valued they were by their colleague nurses.

cheers

Kirsty

On 4/14/2017 at 06:02, kjharris said:

Home Sisters - their role during war was somewhat different to the role mentioned by the wonderful and sorely missed Sue Light.

A Home Sister in a hospital outside of England had to organise both the accommodation and feeding of the hospital nurses, not an easy job in some countries where 'western' food was not easily obtained, where foreign nationals did not speak good English and had a different work ethic, and suppliers were unreliable. There are some wonderful stories about the work of these women, and how valued they were by their colleague nurses.

cheers

Kirsty

Thank you for the extra info regarding the duties of a home sister very interesting. she was also the first nurse to hold the position of embarkation officer during WW1, a nurse of some considerable experience by the time the war had started.  Tim.