Remembered Today:

Longton1971

Fenton (Stoke-on-Trent) War Memorial

33 posts in this topic

Can anyone help identifying these individuals on the Fenton war memorial in Stoke-on-Trent? A friend has been trying to track down the records of the 498 people on the memorial, but has been unable to find details on the 29 listed below. The idea is to rededicate the memorial, which is inside the former Fenton town hall, and provide a commemorative booklet. 

1. Adams J.H.

The following may be this officer, but he does not appear to have any connection with Fenton: 2nd Lieutenant John Hanna Adams 8th Battalion, North Staffordshire Regiment (Prince of Wales’s) Killed in action 18 November 1916. Age 25 Cemetery/Memorial: GRANDCOURT ROAD CEMETERY, GRANDCOURT. C. 38 Son of Emily F. Adams, of Annadale, Whitehead, Co. Antrim. 
2. Barnett A. 68
3. Biddle D.H. 71 
4. Bosson H.
5. Birtles Henry 
This could be Sergeant 100042 Henry Joseph Birtles RAF 28th Training Sqdn who died  22nd April 1918 age 22 Cemetery/Memorial: Old Rode (All Saints) Churchyard. Grave ref 747 Grandson of Henry and Emma Birtles, of Hall Green, Scholar Green, Stoke-on-Trent 
6. Chapman G.A. 122 
7. Collis James 124 
8. Daniel W.H 135 
9. Davies Percy 147
10. Freeman. E. 
11. Hemmings R. 203 
12. Hill William 213 
13. Harrison G.W. 246 
14. Johnson W 269 
15. Johnson A.J 271 
16. Knowles A 289 
17. Martin F 315 
18. Mitford F. 330
19. Mitford H.J. 331
20. Nixon Herbert 342 
21. Pickering R. 
22. Robins William 399 
23. Rhyles Willaim 400 
24. Smith Frederick 427 
25. Stokes Charles 428 
26. Smith W.H. 433 
27. Swettenham E. 455 
28. Williams R. 470 
29. Webb R 496 

The numbers relate to the individual's position on the memorial, which are not in strict alphabetical order. It's a fine memorial made from individual Minton tiles. 

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Richard

IMG_0059.JPG

A possible for H. Bosson, on the St Edward's Hospital, Cheddleton, memorial plaque  - Sergeant Harry Bosson, 1st North Staffords. He's not named on the Cheddleton village memorial (nor included in 'A Debt of Honour,' the book about the men of Cheddleton and Leekbrook who were WW1 and WW2 casualties), so not local to Cheddleton.

Thanks for that. He's certainly a possibility. 

Richard

There was a 7492 William Rhyles, North Staffs from Fenton. He served between 1904 and 1907, was called up from the reserve in August 1914 but discharged unfit in December 1907.

There is a death in 4th Qtr 1914 registered in Stoke for a William Rhyles, aged 27.

I believe this is your man.

ID: 5   Posted (edited)

3/4927 Private Peter Ryles, York and Lancaster Regiment, is on SDGW as having a Dresden (and Longton) connection. Could William R(h)yles have had a Dresden connection also? No Ryles on the Dresden memorial though, and there's only one William Ryles on both CWGC and SDGW.

However, Lives of the First World War has 11439 Corporal William Ryles, York and Lancaster Regiment  https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/3873983

and 16097 Private William Ryles, York and Lancaster Regiment  https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/3873983

Edit: - I'd go for IPT's suggestion, as I'm just fishing in the dark with the surname maybe being Ryles.

Edited by BereniceUK

Thanks both. I've passed the details on. 

Thanks again

Richard

I don't know if this helps or hinders, but on looking for "Daniel" links, I can't see this man, and wonder if somehow H E has been misread as "A E"
DANIEL, HERBERT EASTON. Rank: Corporal Wheeler. Service No: 313011. Date of Death: 10/05/1918. Age: 27.
Regiment/Service: Royal Garrison Artillery Staffs. Heavy Bty. North Midland Bde. 
Grave Reference: 3596. Cemetery: STOKE-ON-TRENT (HARTSHILL) CEMETERY.
Additional Information: Son of the late Henry Charles and of Eliza Daniel, of 128, North St., Stoke-on-Trent; husband of Annie Mary Brown (formerly Daniel), of 124, King St., Fenton.

You appear to have one George Harris.
This chap possibly was Fenton's earliest casualty, just 7 days after War declared....
HARRIS, GEORGE. Rank: Drummer. Service No: 10325. Date of Death: 11/08/1914. Age: 22.
Regiment/Service: Welsh Regiment 1st Bn. 
Panel Reference: Face 18. Memorial: MADRAS 1914-1918 WAR MEMORIAL, CHENNAI.
Additional Information: Son of Josiah and Mary Harris, of 70, Blurton Rd., Fenton, Staffordshire. Buried in Chakrata Cemetery.

or is it this George you have?
HARRIS, GEORGE. Rank: Private. Service No: 3023. Date of Death: 07/08/1916. Age: 21.
Regiment/Service: Staffordshire Yeomanry "B" Sqdn. attd. 10th Imperial Camel Corps 
Panel Reference: Panel 2. Memorial: JERUSALEM MEMORIAL.
Additional Information: Son of Richard and Harriet Harris, of Fenton Manor Farm, Stoke-on-Trent.

Unusual surname, couldn't see him on the Memorial
TABBENOR, F T. Rank: Rifleman. Service No: R/10979. Date of Death: 25/08/1916. Age: 18.
Regiment/Service: King's Royal Rifle Corps 9th Bn. 
Grave Reference: Plot 2. Row B. Grave 74. Cemetery: CORBIE COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION.
Additional Information: Son of Frederick and Agnes Tabbenor, of 154, Park Road, Fenton, Stoke-on-Trent.

Can't find any others of your Missing with links to Fenton - so far....

Thanks, Kevin. This is really helpful. I've passed it on. 

Thanks again

Richard

Richard, what is the situation with the memorial at present? There was a report a while back that it might be at risk.

1 hour ago, KevinBattle said:

Unusual surname, couldn't see him on the Memorial
TABBENOR, F T. Rank: Rifleman. Service No: R/10979. Date of Death: 25/08/1916. Age: 18.
Regiment/Service: King's Royal Rifle Corps 9th Bn. 
Grave Reference: Plot 2. Row B. Grave 74. Cemetery: CORBIE COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION.
Additional Information: Son of Frederick and Agnes Tabbenor, of 154, Park Road, Fenton, Stoke-on-Trent.

Can't find any others of your Missing with links to Fenton - so far....

He's named on the memorial plaque at Fenton Park Methodist Church though. Did his parents not want his name to be on the town memorial, I wonder.

Berenice 

As things are at the moment the memorial is safe. The Ministry of Justice couldn't find a buyer for the former magistrates' court who was willing to pay £500,000, so it was sold to a descendent of the man who built it. He's now refurbishing it and is looking for businesses to rent space there. From what I know, the MP for the area has his office there and a Polish school uses it on Saturdays. With the building being used, the memorial can remain safely on the wall. My friend is now researching the ones who weren't listed originally. The plan is to put a separate one up for them.

Not being from Fenton, I'm not sure about the boundaries that were set for inclusion  on the main town memorial. I'll ask someone more knowledgeable than me. 

Thanks for all your help

Richard

Mitford H.J. Kellys Directories Hector James Mitford 5 High Street Longton Hairdresser

Unable to locate in  Census

Eddie

Hector J Mitford 2/5 Gloucesters 240343 d of w 20 4 1918 Aire Comm Cem II E 5. Ralph

Hector John D Mitford b Chester 1890

Ernest Swettenham b 1889 Fenton son of Lewis and Ann 51 China St 1901

It is Pte HARRY Swettenam (you put the wrong initial on your list) 14063 North Staffs 7th Batt 5 9 15 Helles Mem 61 China St Fenton.wife - Polly.  Ralph.

Edited by ralphjd

There is a card for 60884 HARRY Biddle discharged 8 1 17 with a  SWB and a HENRY Biddle same number on CWGC buried Bucknall St Marys Staffs died 31 7 20 driver 9th Bde RFA. He was born 1887 Bucknall son of William/Sarah Ann as HENRY. 

84313 Hemmings Reginald 150 Seige Batt RGA kia 12 8 18 Heath Cem Harbonniers (re burial service record on Ancestry) CWGC has his initial as H not R. 31 Bridge St Fenton a coal carter b 1897

Google shows a CAMBridge Street in Fenton, or a Bridge Street in Brindley Ford, about 7 miles away - not criticising, as info on CWGC may be duff...... or Bridge St Fenton renamed...

James COLLIS A/Bmdr 16221 RGA KIA 31 10 14 b Winchester r Fenton 1911 201 Duke St Menin Gate Panel 9.

Thanks Eddie & Ralph. It never ceases to amaze me how helpful GWF members are. 

Richard

There is an Alfred Barnett S/2358 13th Royal Sussex 25 9 17 Larch Wood Railway Cuttings Cem III A 8  81 Hope St HANLEY (a mile or two from Fenton and the husband of Jane BOSSONS nee Barnett) 

May be a complete distraction but...

There is only one H J Mitford in CWGC, so presumably you need to find a link to Stoke on Trent/Fenton?

MITFORD, H J. Rank: Serjeant. Service No: 240343. Date of Death: 20/04/1918.
Regiment/Service: Gloucestershire Regiment 2nd/5th Bn. 
Grave Reference: II. E. 5. Cemetery: AIRE COMMUNAL CEMETERY.

similarly there seems to be just this one...

MITFORD, F C. Rank: Air Mechanic 1st Class. Service No: F/4290. Date of Death: 27/05/1917.
Regiment/Service: Royal Naval Air Service F Sqdn. 2nd Wing, R.N. Air Station (Mudros). H.M.S. "President II" 
Grave Reference: II. E. 12. Cemetery: STRUMA MILITARY CEMETERY.

... although you're having difficulty, so could the "F" be part of a double barrelled surname such as

FREEMAN-MITFORD, The Hon. CLEMENT B. OGILVY. Rank: Major. Date of Death: 13/05/1915. Age: 38.
Regiment/Service: 10th (Prince of Wales's Own Royal) Hussars "A" Sqdn. Awards:D S O 
Grave Reference: I. E. 8. Cemetery: VLAMERTINGHE MILITARY CEMETERY.
Additional Information: Son of the late Algernon Bertram Freeman-Mitford, Lord Redesdale and Clementina, Lady Redesdale (nee Lady P. Ogilvy); of Batsford Park, Moreton-in-Marsh; husband of Lady Helen Mitford, of Hydecroft, Lowfield Heath, Crawley.

... but again, no obvious link to S-o-T

There must have been at least one Mitford family nearby...

MITFORD, CHRISTOPHER. Rank: Private. Service No: 3251. Date of Death: 13/10/1915. Age: 22.
Regiment/Service: North Staffordshire Regiment 1st/5th Bn. 
Panel Reference: Panel 103 to 105. Memorial: LOOS MEMORIAL.
Additional Information: Son of Christopher and Rosa Mitford, of Yew Cottage, Lawton Rd., Alsager, Stoke-on-Trent.

Is it possible that some of the initials may have been wrongly read?

Have you been able to access the Minutes of the War Memorial committee?

EDIT: If, for example, the Memorial was commissioned after 31 August 1921 (CWGC cut off date) then local deaths of servicemen after that date may have been included on the Memorial, but not show in CWGC.

Edited by KevinBattle

Afternoon Kevin

No, the minutes don't exist as far as I know, but I will check at the local archive. 

Thanks for the tips on tracing down possible links. It's bits like that from an expert that can really help. 

Do do you know Stoke-on-Trent?  The aristocracy are notable only by their absence here. Apart, that is, from the Lewson-Gowers of Trentham hall, who were the owners of various coal mines and iron works nearby.  A road near Longton park is named after a scion of the family I think: Major Chaplin RFC

Richard

3 hours ago, ralphjd said:

James COLLIS A/Bmdr 16221 RGA KIA 31 10 14 b Winchester r Fenton 1911 201 Duke St Menin Gate Panel 9.

Is there a memorial or roll of honour in St Paul's Church, Mount Pleasant? It's one of the SoT churches I've never been inside, and it's possible that men on the Fenton memorial went there. Thomas Bertram Collis was from Heron Cross, and Duke Street isn't that far from St Paul's, so maybe James Collis is remembered there.

Good point, Berenice. I'll ask. 

I've  checked the archives and the memorial committee's minutes haven't survived unfortunately. 

Richard