Remembered Today:

Longton1971

Fenton (Stoke-on-Trent) War Memorial

33 posts in this topic

Sorry, know nothing at all about Stoke on Trent, and thanks for calling me an expert, but I'm just someone who has done a few Rolls of Honour and have learnt a few things from other Pals here, so happy to pass them on.

Strangely, the Rolls of Honour website doesn't have any S-o-T entry, but it does have a Fenton Boer War one, so that might help in tracing a few.

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Staffordshire/FentonBoer.html

If the War Memorial Minutes haven't survived, perhaps there are local newspaper archives in the library etc that might have details of local men, including those from Fenton.

Sorry as I don't think it's a job for the faint hearted to trawl through over 4 years of newspapers.....

Incidentally, the Redesdale family did have a connection to the Earls of Ashburnham, which is close by, and at least one of your men was in the 13th Bn Royal Sussex (Lowthers Lambs).

SMITH W H

He has surviving records. Home address = 24 Kent Street, Fenton

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/192859/SMITH, W H

SMITH, W H

Private
Service No:
Date of Death:
19/09/1917
Regiment/Service:
Royal Welsh Fusiliers

16th Bn.
Grave Reference:
II. F. 16.
Cemetery:
ERQUINGHEM-LYS CHURCHYARD EXTENSION

Edited by Hywyn

Also shows an address of 5 Kent Street, Fenton

19 hours ago, KevinBattle said:

TABBENOR, F T. Rank: Rifleman. Service No: R/10979. Date of Death: 25/08/1916. Age: 18.
Regiment/Service: King's Royal Rifle Corps 9th Bn. 
Grave Reference: Plot 2. Row B. Grave 74. Cemetery: CORBIE COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION.
Additional Information: Son of Frederick and Agnes Tabbenor, of 154, Park Road, Fenton, Stoke-on-Trent.

4 hours ago, ralphjd said:

84313 Hemmings Reginald 150 Seige Batt RGA kia 12 8 18 Heath Cem Harbonniers (re burial service record on Ancestry) CWGC has his initial as H not R. 31 Bridge St Fenton a coal carter b 1897

Park Road, Bridge Street, and Kent Street don't exist in Fenton, as it is now, they've been lost through slum clearance, or street renaming in the early 1950s.

Bridge Street is now called Ridley Street http://www.thepotteries.org/streets/re_old_b.htm

Park Road is now Fenpark Road http://www.thepotteries.org/streets/re_old_p.htm

There's a Kent Place just off Victoria Road, maybe Kent Street was somewhere round there.

which is the same address for another RWF casualty, perhaps brothers in law?

ALCOCK, AMOS. Rank: Private. Service No: 29188. Date of Death: 06/05/1917. Age: 23.
Regiment/Service: Royal Welsh Fusiliers 19th Bn. 
Grave Reference: VI. G. 13. Cemetery: FINS NEW BRITISH CEMETERY, SOREL-LE-GRAND.
Additional Information: Son of Mrs. Mary Ann Edwards, of 5, Kent St., Fenton, Stoke-on-Trent.

Thanks one and all. There are lots of threads to follow up here. 

Richard

Hi im searching for an photograph of my Great Uncle. 

Pte 23218 Frederick Bosson of the Royal Fusiliers in the cheshire regt i located a pension record for him, dated 9th September 1917 aged 19years and 6 months, his trade was Collier and address was South Street, Mount Pleasant, Mow Cop. 

Frederick had a brother called Harold (my great grandfather) and he married Miriam Gibson in Congleton in 1915. His father was Amos William Bosson and his mother was Hannah Washington. 

This is all the information besides his children that i have. 

if anyone could help me either find more records or any photographs would be brill.

bella1987,

It may be worth trying the archives for the Staffordshire Sentinel. That newspaper published a lot of photographs of local soldiers during the war including men who were killed, men who were wounded and men who were listed as serving. The Sentinel was the source of the only photo that I have of my great grandfather.

Regards,

Kev Loughnane