Remembered Today:

Longton1971

Fenton (Stoke-on-Trent) War Memorial

47 posts in this topic

Sorry, know nothing at all about Stoke on Trent, and thanks for calling me an expert, but I'm just someone who has done a few Rolls of Honour and have learnt a few things from other Pals here, so happy to pass them on.

Strangely, the Rolls of Honour website doesn't have any S-o-T entry, but it does have a Fenton Boer War one, so that might help in tracing a few.

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Staffordshire/FentonBoer.html

If the War Memorial Minutes haven't survived, perhaps there are local newspaper archives in the library etc that might have details of local men, including those from Fenton.

Sorry as I don't think it's a job for the faint hearted to trawl through over 4 years of newspapers.....

Incidentally, the Redesdale family did have a connection to the Earls of Ashburnham, which is close by, and at least one of your men was in the 13th Bn Royal Sussex (Lowthers Lambs).

SMITH W H

He has surviving records. Home address = 24 Kent Street, Fenton

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/192859/SMITH, W H

SMITH, W H

Private
Service No:
Date of Death:
19/09/1917
Regiment/Service:
Royal Welsh Fusiliers

16th Bn.
Grave Reference:
II. F. 16.
Cemetery:
ERQUINGHEM-LYS CHURCHYARD EXTENSION

Edited by Hywyn

Also shows an address of 5 Kent Street, Fenton

19 hours ago, KevinBattle said:

TABBENOR, F T. Rank: Rifleman. Service No: R/10979. Date of Death: 25/08/1916. Age: 18.
Regiment/Service: King's Royal Rifle Corps 9th Bn. 
Grave Reference: Plot 2. Row B. Grave 74. Cemetery: CORBIE COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION.
Additional Information: Son of Frederick and Agnes Tabbenor, of 154, Park Road, Fenton, Stoke-on-Trent.

4 hours ago, ralphjd said:

84313 Hemmings Reginald 150 Seige Batt RGA kia 12 8 18 Heath Cem Harbonniers (re burial service record on Ancestry) CWGC has his initial as H not R. 31 Bridge St Fenton a coal carter b 1897

Park Road, Bridge Street, and Kent Street don't exist in Fenton, as it is now, they've been lost through slum clearance, or street renaming in the early 1950s.

Bridge Street is now called Ridley Street http://www.thepotteries.org/streets/re_old_b.htm

Park Road is now Fenpark Road http://www.thepotteries.org/streets/re_old_p.htm

There's a Kent Place just off Victoria Road, maybe Kent Street was somewhere round there.

which is the same address for another RWF casualty, perhaps brothers in law?

ALCOCK, AMOS. Rank: Private. Service No: 29188. Date of Death: 06/05/1917. Age: 23.
Regiment/Service: Royal Welsh Fusiliers 19th Bn. 
Grave Reference: VI. G. 13. Cemetery: FINS NEW BRITISH CEMETERY, SOREL-LE-GRAND.
Additional Information: Son of Mrs. Mary Ann Edwards, of 5, Kent St., Fenton, Stoke-on-Trent.

Thanks one and all. There are lots of threads to follow up here. 

Richard

Hi im searching for an photograph of my Great Uncle. 

Pte 23218 Frederick Bosson of the Royal Fusiliers in the cheshire regt i located a pension record for him, dated 9th September 1917 aged 19years and 6 months, his trade was Collier and address was South Street, Mount Pleasant, Mow Cop. 

Frederick had a brother called Harold (my great grandfather) and he married Miriam Gibson in Congleton in 1915. His father was Amos William Bosson and his mother was Hannah Washington. 

This is all the information besides his children that i have. 

if anyone could help me either find more records or any photographs would be brill.

bella1987,

It may be worth trying the archives for the Staffordshire Sentinel. That newspaper published a lot of photographs of local soldiers during the war including men who were killed, men who were wounded and men who were listed as serving. The Sentinel was the source of the only photo that I have of my great grandfather.

Regards,

Kev Loughnane

Information is still needed on the following names from the Fenton (Stoke-on-Trent) War Memorial. Any help would be much appreciated as we try to conclude the task of putting some detail to the names. 

Adams J.H.
Chapman G.A.
Collis James
Daniel W. H.
Davies Percy
Freeman E.
Hill William
Harrison G.W. 
Johnson W.
Johnson A.J.
Knowles A.
Martin F.
Mitford F.
Mitford H.J.
Nixon Herbert
Pickering R.
Robins William
Smith Frederick
Stokes Charles
Swettenham E.
Williams R.
Webb R.

Richard

MITFORD, F C. Rank: Air Mechanic 1st Class. Service No: F/4290. Date of Death: 27/05/1917.
Regiment/Service: Royal Naval Air Service F Sqdn. 2nd Wing, R.N. Air Station (Mudros). H.M.S. "President II" 
Grave Reference: II. E. 12. Cemetery: STRUMA MILITARY CEMETERY

MITFORD, H J. Rank: Serjeant. Service No: 240343. Date of Death: 20/04/1918.
Regiment/Service: Gloucestershire Regiment 2nd/5th Bn. 
Grave Reference: II. E. 5. Cemetery: AIRE COMMUNAL CEMETERY.

From March 1915 to February 1918, Aire was a busy but peaceful centre used by Commonwealth forces as corps headquarters. The Highland Casualty Clearing Station was based there as was the 39th Stationary Hospital (from May 1917) and other medical units. Plot I contains burials from this period. 

The burials in plots II, III and IV (rows A to F) relate to the fighting of 1918, when the 54th Casualty Clearing Station came to Aire and the town was, for a while, within 13 kilometres of the German lines. 

but could there be a transcription error, as these two seem to have S-o-T connections to your neck of the woods...

MITFORD, CHRISTOPHER. Rank: Private. Service No: 3251. Date of Death: 13/10/1915. Age: 22.
Regiment/Service: North Staffordshire Regiment 1st/5th Bn. 
Panel Reference: Panel 103 to 105. Memorial: LOOS MEMORIAL.
Additional Information: Son of Christopher and Rosa Mitford, of Yew Cottage, Lawton Rd., Alsager, Stoke-on-Trent.

MITFORD, JACK. Rank: Private. Service No: 69866. Date of Death: 09/10/1918. Age: 19.
Regiment/Service: Royal Fusiliers 1st Bn. 
Panel Reference: Panel 3. Memorial: VIS-EN-ARTOIS MEMORIAL.
Additional Information: Son of George and Minnie Mitford, of Rode Heath, Stoke-on-Trent.

Thanks Kevin. Stoke certainly, but they lived well away from Fenton. I'll pass on their details to the chap who's doing the research. 

Richard

Herbert Nixon.  There's a 17 year old of that name resident at 33 Minshull Street, Fenton in the 1911 Census.  A colliery wagoner born in Chesterton, Staffs the son of Edmund and Mary Nixon.

With regards to service he may be 291177 Pte Nixon of the 1/8th Battalion Scottish Rifles kia 12 November 1917.  This soldier is described as from Newcastle Staffs and Chesterton is in Newcastle not Stoke.

Nigel

On 29/12/2016 at 18:48, BereniceUK said:

A possible for H. Bosson, on the St Edward's Hospital, Cheddleton, memorial plaque  - Sergeant Harry Bosson, 1st North Staffords. He's not named on the Cheddleton village memorial (nor included in 'A Debt of Honour,' the book about the men of Cheddleton and Leekbrook who were WW1 and WW2 casualties), so not local to Cheddleton.

This is probably 201272 North Staffs, 207074 Queens (Royal West Surrey), 497665 RAMC Harold Bosson, his medal card gives dates of service 14 April 1915 - 28 November 1919 discharged under para 392 (XVI).  So entirely possible he died early enough to be included on the St Edwards memorial.

There is a Harold Bosson in Fenton in 1911 census,  Aged 12 living at 17 Berdmore Street.

The arrangement of names is intriguing.  All the names for each initial letter appear to be grouped together which suggests that all the names were to hand when the memorial was designed and therefore that there may be some logic in the ordering within the initial letters.  If that logic was, for example, date of death then it might help to narrow down some choices?  The local memorial that I researched was in strict alphabetical order except where two brothers died, then the older preceded the younger irrespective of first name or initial.  That helped me in a couple of places.

Roger

Thanks everyone. I've passed on your comments. 

Richard

Not sure about this one..Ousden, Suffolk have a George Chapman on their memorial.. see my website www.undyingmemory.net, Newmarket Section, then Ousden

He moved to Fenton in 1906 and died there after medical discharge in 1915. I cannot find where he is buried  May not be your man as my chap was George William Chapman

If not the same, I would appreciate any help as to where the ex Ousden man may be buried. Trying to get him on to CWGC list at present.

Regards

Tony

Tony

I've contacted the chap who's doing he research and, unfortunately,he's not been able to find anything on Fenton's Chapman. This includes looking in local cemeteries. Our one is G.A Chapman, so he's unlikely to be your man. 

Richard

Pity, my man was definitely George William or William George.   Mind he was actually MURKIN, parents left it late to tie the knot !

Regards

Tony

Well, these things do happen. 

Richard

Progress, Actually established now that George is buried in Fenton (still awaiting exact grave number).The obliging doctor who signed his DC actually added his Army number and the cause of death ties in with the reason for his discharge so hopefully in the fullness of time and more work by In from the Cold we can get him properly recognised

A great result, Tony. Did he die within the IWGC time frame?  If so, it should be pretty straightforward to get him a new grave stone. 

Richard