Remembered Today:

TheRecordKeeper

Searching for Sister Lantz

7 posts in this topic

Hello,
I'm currently working on a research project containing four 'Record Books' owned by a Canadian/American nurse called Sister B. Genevieve Lantz (the B stands for Birdie) in Camiers, France at the 22nd General Hospital. Sister Lantz had her patients write their experiences in the record books, so I have very detailed information about the men (most of whom were Canadian), but next to nothing about Sister Lantz herself, at least during the War.
The story of these record books is a little vague right now: they were found at an estate sale in Klamath Falls, Oregon and made their way to the university where I work. I have scoured the furthest reaches of the internet for Sister Lantz or any information about the 22nd General, but to rather fruitless results. I've found a couple of photos of Camiers itself and one photo of one building in the 22nd. I'm hoping that someone on this forum might have some more answers or at least could help point me in the right direction. I was directed here from the Canadian Expeditionary Forces Study Group, because we are pretty sure Sister Lantz did not join as a Canadian.
All I know about Sister Lantz right now is that she was (maybe) originally from Boston but moved to Canada (I'm pretty sure Nova Scotia at the moment) and then...somehow ended up in Camiers. Right now I'm looking for any and all information/media related to the 22nd General Hospital, Sister Lantz, or the Camiers base.
No detail is too small!
Thanks in advance.
P.s. I am a first-time poster in these forums, and relatively new to archives work, so go easy on me!

ID: 2   Posted (edited)

Welcome to trhe Forum.

Genevieve is recorded in the 1910 US Census as B. Genevieve Lantz, Nurse, English Canadian with English Canadian parents. She was 28 on her last birthday, and became a U.S. citizen in 1909. She was living in the County of Middlesex, Massachusettes, and working at the Mount Zion? Hospital.

I'll see what else I can find out.

Regards,

Regards,

Alf McM

Edited by alf mcm

Ancestry have a record of Berthe Genevieve Lantze, Nurse, born about 1888 arriving in England from New York on 31st May 1916.

They also have a medalroll  record for B. Genevieve Lantz, Nursing Staff, Harvard Unit. This is for the British War Medal. She had arrived in France on 11th May 1916.

Regards,

Alf McM

There is a family tree for Birdie Genevieve Lantz on Ancestry showing she was born in Nova Scotia in 1888. She married Walter Smith in California in 1920, and died in Oregon, U.S.A. on 1st November 1963.

Regards,

Alf McM

On 2/2/2017 at 15:34, alf mcm said:

There is a family tree for Birdie Genevieve Lantz on Ancestry showing she was born in Nova Scotia in 1888. She married Walter Smith in California in 1920, and died in Oregon, U.S.A. on 1st November 1963.

Regards,

Alf McM

Thanks! I was able to find these things out by searching Ancestry.com and I have also found a couple of photos of the hospital where she works. The search goes on!

TRK

Do you have detail on the operational daily Diary of the Hospital ? There are three which are downloadable from the National Archives Discovery database:

WO95/4084/6 May 1915 to Dec 1916.

WO95/4084/7 1917

WO95/4084/8 Jan 1918 to 1919.

Each costs £3.45 to download.

ID: 7   Posted (edited)

On 2/13/2017 at 13:11, sotonmate said:

TRK

Do you have detail on the operational daily Diary of the Hospital ? There are three which are downloadable from the National Archives Discovery database:

WO95/4084/6 May 1915 to Dec 1916.

WO95/4084/7 1917

WO95/4084/8 Jan 1918 to 1919.

Each costs £3.45 to download.

I really hadn't planned to purchase anything, but if I did, would they take American dollars?

Edited by TheRecordKeeper