Remembered Today:

Dragoon

Google earth image from a drawn map wanted please

7 posts in this topic

ID: 1   Posted (edited)

Hello,

I hope i'm on the right bit of the forum.

The attached map is from the 26th Bde RFA, i'm interested in seeing what the area looks like on Google earth or equivalent, I simply cannot work it out!, so experts needed. Especially the position of 117th Battery (about 1/4 from the top and 1/4 from the left on the map) please.

Also any military maps that show the area in around October 1914. 

If im in the wrong place please can Admin move my post please.

Your help and time, as always is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

43112_1250_1-00022.jpg

Edited by Dragoon

Here is a link to the area on Google Maps Gheluveldt. I've taken the spelling from your map, It's slightly different on Google maps. You also might find this interesting.

Best Wishes

Keith

The map is orientated east, i.e. with east at the top of the map.  The clearly-marked 'Chateau' I take to be Gheluvelt Chateau, in the centre of the village and to the north of the Menin Road.  The similar shape marked above and to the left of 'Hooge' I take to be Hooge Chateau. Re-orientating the map and stretching it out so that these two reference points on the sketch map match up as near as possible with their actual locations, 116th Battery would appear to have been north-east of Zandvoorde, in the approximate area of the British Cemetery. 

Rough work, though - without a scale and better reference points, the sketch map is, er, 'open to interpretation'!

- brummell

Sketch Map.jpg

Aerial photo.jpg

You're both stars thank you, and thank you for the additional info, greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

ID: 5   Posted (edited)

You can also access trench maps for free on the National Library of Scotland website here:

http://maps.nls.uk/ww1/trenches/

If you use the "As zoomable overlays of each map on a modern Google or Bing map" option there's a slider at bottom left of the screen which fades the map in and out to reveal the corresponding satellite view.

Takes a bit of fiddling at first and you need the correct map reference (and the year of interest in some cases), but they're quite straightforward to use once you get the hang of them.

Edited by Andy Wade

Great stuff, thanks Andy,

Chris

1 hour ago, Andy Wade said:

You can also access trench maps for free on the National Library of Scotland website here:

http://maps.nls.uk/ww1/trenches/

If you use the "As zoomable overlays of each map on a modern Google or Bing map" option there's a slider at bottom left of the screen which fades the map in and out to reveal the corresponding satellite view.

Takes a bit of fiddling at first and you need the correct map reference (and the year of interest in some cases), but they're quite straightforward to use once you get the hang of them.

I agree great site for pinpointing against modern map