Remembered Today:

• Announcements

• spof

Forum upgrade completed   27/03/17

The forum upgrade has completed. While topics and posts are being re-indexed, the site may be slow and searching my not return all results. This should be finished in about 6 hours.
Alan24

Referencing SDGW Queen's Regiment original publication

8 posts in this topic

Hoping someone will be able to help here...

I need to quote a reference to a particular volume of SDGW 1914-1919 and would prefer not to reference Ancestry.co.uk but use the original source. 

What I need is Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914-19, Part. ??, The Queen's Regiment (Royal West Surrey). - or the correct wording thereof e.g. taken from one of the hard copy volumes that I already have, this would be the format.

Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914-19, Part 41, The Hampshire Regiment. Polstead, Suffolk: J.B. Hayward & Son; 1989.

Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914-19, Part 17, The Suffolk Regiment. London: HMSO; 1921.

I would also like to know on which page G/24486 Russell L Parkins of the 1st Battalion Queen's Regiment is listed, finally, the icing on the cake would be if someone could provide a scan of the actual entry for that particular soldier.

Many thanks,

Alan.

ID: 2   Posted (edited)

Here is a start (as per advertised on Amazon):

Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914-19, Part 7, Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment). ?????, ?????: J.B. Hayward & Son; 1989.

I would suspect the ???? above would tally with your example given that it is the same publisher in 1989

Don't have a copy, so not sure which page. Also not sure if the various editions were formatted exactly the same.

Russ

Edited by RussT

If you've not actually looked at the original, why cite it?  You've benefitted from the work done in digitising the material, cite what you've seen.

ID: 4   Posted (edited)

Thanks Russ,

That's a good start.

The 1989 version looks to be a reproduction of the 1921 (not re-type set, or whatever the technical term is) so would assume the page numbers remain the same. This version also makes reference to the IWM so it may be their copies that were reproduced.

David, would prefer to cite the original rather than a transcript. Has SDGW been digitised anywhere? If so happy to see and reference that.

Regards

Alan.

Edited by Alan24

There was the Naval and Military CD version, but that was more just a transcription, or perhaps reformatting to digital you might argue.  Some volumes might be on Internet Archive or similar.  Again though, if the transcript is what you've used for the research, that's really what you should cite.

On digging a bit, it seems that both ancestry's and FMP's databases are derived from the N&M digital version.

There's no obvious full digitisation of the originals, which is a bit surprising since as they were presumably Crown Copyright, which would have expired in the 1970s, and publishers are do facsimiles.

The entry for Russell Lewes Parkins is on page 15 of the 1989 facsimile reprint of S.D.G.W. as per the scanned image. If you need the whole page, or anything else, please PM me, the file of the whole page is too big to upload.

Parkins, R. L., S.D.G.W..JPG

Thanks Harry, you're a star.

David, thanks for digging into the origins of the FMP & Ancestry transcriptions.

Regards

Alan