Remembered Today:

Cloquirk

Trying to age these photos

6 posts in this topic

image.jpgimage.jpg

Trying to age these photos by uniforms being worn. Any clues ?

The first one, unhelpfully presented:

possibly in a narrow time frame after about 1902 and before the Great War: Wolsely helmet in but old mandarin collar and pocket flap shape remaining.

possibly India

probably mounted troops ............. bandoliers .......... but this can include infantry transport, ASC, RA, RE and others.

ID: 3   Posted (edited)

13 hours ago, Muerrisch said:

The first one, unhelpfully presented:

possibly in a narrow time frame after about 1902 and before the Great War: Wolsely helmet in but old mandarin collar and pocket flap shape remaining.

possibly India

probably mounted troops ............. bandoliers .......... but this can include infantry transport, ASC, RA, RE and others.

As you know Grumpy, trying to date KD is very difficult - and no less so here. That pocket flap shape and the mandarin collar were a feature of wartime manufactured items too - as below.

The pages attached are from Chris Pollendine's Campaign 1915, the jacket is mine.

When i get back to my full set up, I'll add them as jpegs as well.

Cheers,

GT.

C15 KD.pdf

Edited by Grovetown

GT. Absolutely agree. Hence my "possibly". The hose tops and puttees could also equally be Great War, in fact, shorts worn in portraits tend to be rare pre-War. It is just that I got a pre-war "feel".  Hair-style? Girl's frock .............. ??

ID: 5   Posted (edited)

The "girl" could be a boy. Not uncommon for small boys to wear dresses in those days. In fact the child does look more like a boy than a girl. The dressing of boys in skirted garments died out about 1910 ish. So that would set the photo date as pre WW1.

re the men, does the fact that there are an assortment of hairy & clean shaven upper lips mean anything. I fancy I remember something about mustache being compulsory until 1916.

Edited by Angrybudgie

Like Muerrisch, my guess for the soldiers with Wolseley helmets would be pre-war.  Apart from the things mentioned already, they do not wear the hose-tops (under puttees) that became fairly universal after WW1.