Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yperman

A book on coastal forces?

13 posts in this topic

Good morning,

I am developing an  interest in hospital ships, Great War era merchantmen and coastal forces (from light cruisers and below, including the trawlers and drifters) and their various engagements. I wondered if anyone can kindly suggest some book titles? (I have the Osprey/vanguard series, Bacon's 'Dover Patrol' and Dunn's 'Securing the Narrow Seas'). Many thanks for your help,

Yperman

What about "Ships used as places of detention"? There's a chapter with this title in Prisoners of War in British Hands during WWI by Graham Marks and published by the Postal History Society.  Not an easy book to find, and photocopying the A4 pages is difficult. (There are 12 pages in the chapter.)

It notes ships near Ryde (Isle of Wight), Gosport, Hull, Southend-on-Sea, Rouen and Plymouth that were used to house internees and PoWs.

The book also lists German ships detained at ports in Devon and Cornwall on the outbreak of war, as listed in a supplement to The London Gazette of October 2, 1914. (Presumably enemy ships were detained in other British ports.)

Moonraker

Thank you for the ideas - Amazon time!  Yperman

On your first topic how about '50,000 miles in a hospital ship' by 'a padre', published by RTS in 1917.

ID: 6   Posted (edited)

Available to read online is E. Keble Chatterton's 'Danger Zone', published in 1934.

https://hdl.handle.net/2027/mdp.39015074797567

From the book's preface:

This is the full and thrilling story of those naval operations carried out in an area which a German Admiral once described as "the decisive U-boat theatres"; for these waters were "the highways of the world's traffic."
Whilst the general reader is familiar with what happened in many other War theatres, he has till now been unable to appreciate all that was done under the Queenstown Command. With its mystery ships, sloop flotillas, its armed trawlers, drifters, M.L.'s; and—during the second phase—its American destroyers, submarine-chasers, British and American submarines as well as rescue tugs, all serving under Admiral Sir Lewis Bayly, this immense miscellaneous fleet was responsible for the safety of shipping passing through the submarine zone to keep the United Kingdom from starvation.

Edited by Ralph Currell

Tigris Gunboats: The Forgotten War in Iraq 1914-1917, by Wilfred Nunn.

Thank you all very much. These will keep me quiet!

Yperman

Chatterton also wrote a number of other books on the War at sea in WW I.

Happy to lend you Nunn if you like, yperman!

Thanks both again - I've left the "odd hint" that Nunn would be acceptable for a birthday present - if not taken I will be happy to take advantage of your kind offer seaJjane.  Yperman

"Swept Channels" by Capt. Tafrell Dorling.   As you would expect from the tile, about minesweepers.

Edwin

Thanks Edwin duly Amazoned. Yperman