Remembered Today:

pjwmacro

22nd Battery Machine Gun Corps (Motors)

278 posts in this topic

Just now, pjwmacro said:

Post away if you have Ford van pictures!

Will do and have one that was in an accident and rather "bent up." 

19 hours ago, david murdoch said:

"Rangefinder + taker. This instrument gives the exact range of any object up to 20,000 yds away"

This image seemed more professional, and a company it is stamped on the back as "J.T.M. Gough", which I can only assume is the company used to develop the image, as it has a symbol indicating it was done in India. It's a large, high quality copy so I wouldn't be surprised if a fair few people already had this one. 

The equipment is a Barr & Stroud rangefinder and tripod - for some reason this picture seems familiar, and I'm sure I've seen it before! http://www.vickersmachinegun.org.uk/acc-rangefinder.htm

He is  Gunner John Travell Maton Gough 1068. He's on the BWM only roll in among the 22nd Battery names. He never got a GSM/clasp, but 22nd for sure  - check out his 22MMGS shoulder title! 

Baptised 15 Sep 1895 - Dinton, Wiltshire, England - died 28 Aug 1921 aged 26 at British Station Hospital, Murree, India! No CWWG listing for him, but he had discharged from army 72/03/1920. With a name like that easy to find on the archives - he was at Birmingham University 1912-1913. He had a sister Irene Alberta Ingeretha Maton Gough.

I've also identified "J Rodger" from one of the original postings. He is on this roll too  Gunner James Muir Rodger 1660

I've been through all names on this roll not previously linked to 22nd, and I'm pretty certain these are the others - just not positively identified. I've got 18 names (including the two above) 15 Gunners and three NCOs. basically a full section!

Of these only one has a GSM/clasp - when I cross checked him on the GSM roll he's listed as 22nd Squadron (MGC Cavalry) who were also there. I think it's a typo, as there is nothing on his MIC to suggest a transfer.

Another one transferred Commissioned to 2nd HLI same as Dowie.

IMG_0010.jpg.cf4aba6731d7989965eed70e837401b2 - Copy.jpg

Well done David - another result. But I felt sure though that JMT Gough wasn't an Indian photographer!

8 hours ago, david murdoch said:

JJ. Great photos - this is an important part of the story - where they came from, and what became of them after the war. Looks like the kids have got the old army hats out the cupboard for dressing up - think that's a Cameron Highlander on the right!. Part of my MMGS research is to find out where they came from,who were mates and joined up together and also these photos show they did stay in touch afterwards. The MMGS being an unusual unit as it only existed a short while, but recruited from all over the country. The common link to all of them is motorcycles. 22nd Battery is a little snapshot in time as they ended up stuck in India for the duration, and it's looking like for most of them the only unit they served. They were in hindsight probably lucky as they all survived, with Alan Gilmour's broken leg being the worst injury. Picking up their lives after the war or moving on - on the medal cards  have addresses from Canada to China, and now this lad who stayed on in India. Seen evidence Dowie got a speeding fine riding a motorbike after the war. I know my own grandfather bought a Clyno with sidecar with his saved up wages when he got back in 1920. I'm now getting the feeling that my grandfathers original mates who he joined up with were killed.

All

Quite agree with David's comment here that all this (incl what people got up to post war) is an important part of the 22 MMGS Bty story. Quite content to let this sort of stuff run - providing we maintain the common 22 Bty link. (In keeping with this i'll look to "freeze" the thread I had running under the soldiers section of this forum and signpost link to this thread - to try and keep the information in a single place).

In line with David's theme of post war motorcycling, I'll add my own family story (which my father reminded me of tonight) on this theme:

My grandfather too retained his enthusiasm for motorcycles after the war  - and the family story is that this extended, after he married my grandmother (Avis Prosser), to using a motorcycle and sidecar certainly until my father came on the scene in 1931. The story goes that one dark and wet night he was travelling in this mode - with my grandmother in the sidecar. The front securing bolt is supposed to have come loose, resulting in the sidecar assuming a nose up position, still secured by the rear bolt, with my grandmother tipped backwards and kicking her legs in the air!  As it was a wet and wild night, apparently she was unable to attract my grandfathers attention for a period of time, and he, appothrically, continued blithely down the road for some period of time before realising what had happened! Maybe a degree of "growth in the telling" 'over the years - but still gives me a laugh!

I think we still have some family photos of my grand parents with motorcycles and sidecars - I'll liaise with my Father to see what we can dig out and post.

Best to all.  Please keep the posts and photos coming - plenty more 22 MMGS Bty descendants still to reach!  Paul