Remembered Today:

trajan

An EK 2 and 'Hindenburg' combatant's pair

85 posts in this topic

One must also remember that in society, officers were called upon to wear their medals in various arrangements, so medal bars with 5,6, 7 or more medals may have required the ownership of  several arrangements apart from the standard military horizontal. I have actually seen a large group including the Ek2 designed to be worn in a diagonal arrangement in line with the lapel of a formal evening dress. Sorry I can't recall where I saw it.

khaki

one of my sets, would appreciate ID of last three medals, Iron Cross has no makers stamp on ring, of interest the gold colored medal stamped 1915 - 1918??

regards

Bob R.

20170426_204325.jpg

20170426_204418.jpg

20170426_204513.jpg

20170426_204437.jpg

8 hours ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

... Yes, that is right: West Wall Medal. It simply reads: '1-11-40 Deutsches-Schutzwall-Ehrenzeichen (Nr. 42151) F. d. R. Hofmann, Major.' (Für die Richtigkeit: proved to be correct.)

Fascinating story! And thanks for explaining that text - Deutsches-Schutzwall-Ehrenzeichen and the F.d.R I had unscrambled the 'wall' in the first but was otherwise quite lost!

Best wishes,

Julian

2 hours ago, Khaki said:

... I have actually seen a large group including the Ek2 designed to be worn in a diagonal arrangement in line with the lapel of a formal evening dress.

In one of my web forays I saw something similar - a photograph of an elderly chap sitting down next to his standing wife, if I recall it correctly, with his medals in a diagonal arrangement... Hopefully in an idle moment I'll come across it again... 

1 hour ago, robins2 said:

one of my sets, would appreciate ID of last three medals, Iron Cross has no makers stamp on ring, of interest the gold colored medal stamped 1915 - 1918??

Nice group there!

Just to be going on with - as this is outside my field - the middle one is - I am pretty certain - the Hungarian version of the KuK WW1 commemorative medal (Hungarian coat of arms and legend 'For Country and God'), and the last one is a long service medal of some kind - for the KuK army?

Note that not all EK apparently have their suspension rings maker-marked. As for the 'Hindenburg Cross', I have a list of maker-marks I downloaded from somewhere but I can't find a set of initials to match yours...

Trajan

Bob,

The last three look like the Hungarian war remembrance medal, the Bulgarian war remembrance medal and a 3rd class medal for 9 years service issued to NCO's and OR's, awarded between 1913 and 1924 http://www.ehrenzeichen-orden.de/deutsche-staaten/militar-dienstauszeichnung-3-klasse-1913.html

Julian the mark on Bob's Hindenburg cross is PaKü for Paul Kuest.

Interesting that the German Cross of Honor (design committee) if there was such a thing elected to use 1914/1918 as opposed to the 1914/1919 (victory medal), considering that fighting inside Germany continued between the Freikorps and the Communists, and in the case of the returning soldiers who were with the various Freikorps units this was recorded in their soldbuchs, or so I believe.

khaki

thank you Tony/Trajan

2 hours ago, Tony N said:

The last three look like the Hungarian war remembrance medal, the Bulgarian war remembrance medal and a 3rd class medal for 9 years service issued to NCO's and OR's, awarded between 1913 and 1924 http://www.ehrenzeichen-orden.de/deutsche-staaten/militar-dienstauszeichnung-3-klasse-1913.html

Julian the mark on Bob's Hindenburg cross is PaKü for Paul Kuest.

Bob, Tony,

What a mix, eh? German. German, Hungarian, Bulgarian, and German (or is that last one just Prussian?). 

Tony - Thanks for identifying the 'Hindenburg' marking - it was bugging me. Also, on the German site, I see reference to the 3rd class medal inlcudes the note: OEK Nummer: 1976 I guess that refers to a reference book of some kind, but which one?

Julian

23 hours ago, robins2 said:

regards

Bob R.

20170426_204325.jpg

20170426_204418.jpg

20170426_204513.jpg

20170426_204437.jpg

Pro Deo Et Patria:  For God and Country