Remembered Today:

Ian Davison

davo5652

33 posts in this topic

Hi anyone who can help with 2 queries please.

1. My grandfather 6047 T/WO1 Henry Davison Scots Guards won the MM which was gazetted on 27th October 1916. I would be grateful for any information as to where/how he or the guards were at that time?

2. My great uncle 317454 Bdr Frank Davison (younger brother of grandfather) was serving with 332 Seige Battery RGA when he was wounded and subsequently died of these wounds on 26th September 1917. Also died with a few days of him was 125696 Cpl Fred Hull (from Trowbridge, Wilts) on 28th September and 168213 Gnr Duncan Lang (from Campbellstown) on 30th September. Any information on above would be gratefully received as it is my intention to take my younger brother and 2 sons out to Franks grave on 26th September. 

Hi

welcome to the forum

first info I found

First Name: Henry
Surname: Davison
Information: Attached Patrol Service, Gordon's Highlanders
Rank (2nd): Acting Regimental Serjeant Major
Service Number: 6047
Gallantry Awards:
Military Cross
Instituted on 28th December 1914 the Military Cross (M.C.) is the third level military decoration awarded to Officers.

This decoration was awarded to Henry Davison for an act or acts of exemplary gallantry during active operations against the enemy.

The Military Cross (M.C.) is awarded for gallantry during active operations against the enemy.

Henry Davison,as an owner of the Military Cross, is entitled to use the letters M.C. after his name.

Citations for the M.C. were published in the London Gazette during the Great War. However if the M.C. was a King’s Birthday or New Year award, details were not published and in most cases will not be available.
Gazette Info: Gazette Number 29886, M.C., The King has been graciously pleased to give orders for the following the award of the Military Cross in recognition of his services.
Gazette Date: 01/01/1917
Gazette Page: 33

Scots Guards action 1916

1st Btn

Battles Of The Somme - Battle Of Flers-Courcelette - 15/09/1916

Battles Of The Somme - Battle Of Morval - 25/09/1916

Battles Of The Somme - Capture Of Lesbouefs - 25/09/1916

2nd Btn

Battles Of The Somme - Battle Of Albert - 01/07/1916

and also as above 1st Btn

This then his brother

Bombardier
Service No:
Date of Death:
26/09/1917
Regiment/Service:
Royal Garrison Artillery

332nd Siege Bty.
Grave Reference:
V. F. 4.
Cemetery:
DOZINGHEM MILITARY CEMETERY

Additional Information:
Son of William and M. A. Davison, of 18, Plantation Rd., Faversham, Kent.

2 hours ago, jonbem said:

Hi

welcome to the forum

first info I found

First Name: Henry
Surname: Davison
Information: Attached Patrol Service, Gordon's Highlanders
Rank (2nd): Acting Regimental Serjeant Major
Service Number: 6047
Gallantry Awards:
Military Cross
Instituted on 28th December 1914 the Military Cross (M.C.) is the third level military decoration awarded to Officers.

This decoration was awarded to Henry Davison for an act or acts of exemplary gallantry during active operations against the enemy.

The Military Cross (M.C.) is awarded for gallantry during active operations against the enemy.

Henry Davison,as an owner of the Military Cross, is entitled to use the letters M.C. after his name.

Citations for the M.C. were published in the London Gazette during the Great War. However if the M.C. was a King’s Birthday or New Year award, details were not published and in most cases will not be available.
Gazette Info: Gazette Number 29886, M.C., The King has been graciously pleased to give orders for the following the award of the Military Cross in recognition of his services.
Gazette Date: 01/01/1917
Gazette Page: 33

OP states he was awarded the "MM" not the "MC".

Sam

ID: 6   Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Ian Davison said:

Hi anyone who can help with 2 queries please.

1. My grandfather 6047 T/WO1 Henry Davison Scots Guards won the MM which was gazetted on 27th October 1916. I would be grateful for any information as to where/how he or the guards were at that time?

As a Scots Guard a copy of his Service record may be in the Regimental archives for around a £30 fee, contact details here http://www.theguardsmuseum.com/Family-Research

If you check the medal rolls on Ancestry it may give you the Bn's of the Scots Guards and Gordon's he served with

Sam

Edited by roughdiamond

ID: 7   Posted (edited)

13 minutes ago, roughdiamond said:

OP states he was awarded the "MM" not the "MC".

the record above for MC came from forceswarrecords

found the Gazette entry for 27 Oct 1916...

1568 Cpl. W. H. Davies, L'pool R. 8357 Sjt. T. J. Davis, C. Gds. 6047 Coy. S./M. (Actg. R.S./M.) H. Davison, S. Gds. 62874 Sjt. J. W. Day, R.F.A.

Edited by jonbem

1 minute ago, jonbem said:

found the Gazette entry for 27 Oct 1916...

1568 Cpl. W. H. Davies, L'pool R. 8357 Sjt. T. J. Davis, C. Gds. 6047 Coy. S./M. (Actg. R.S./M.) H. Davison, S. Gds. 62874 Sjt. J. W. Day, R.F.A.

Did you check what medal it was for? The Military Cross (MC) was an Officer's medal, non Officers were entitled to the Military Medal (MM)! As he's listed with a Cpl and 2 x Sjt's in the LG and his Medal is from the "DCM & MM" list, it will be the MM he was awarded as per the OP.

Sam

Just now, roughdiamond said:

Did you check what medal it was for? The Military Cross (MC) was an Officer's medal, non Officers were entitled to the Military Medal (MM)! As he's listed with a Cpl and 2 x Sjt's in the LG and his Medal is from the "DCM & MM" list, it will be the MM he was awarded as per the OP.

Sam

my search only gave me the one page, hence couldn't get to header. But looking at the entries either side it should be MM

The other record for MC from FWR indicates Gazette 1/1/17 so trying to find that now

3 minutes ago, jonbem said:

my search only gave me the one page, hence couldn't get to header. But looking at the entries either side it should be MM

The other record for MC from FWR indicates Gazette 1/1/17 so trying to find that now

First page of the LG list 

Screenshot_2017-04-21-19-53-35.png

ID: 11   Posted (edited)

I note from this Roll his number changed to 2865546 Gordon Highlanders and W.O. Cl 2 crossed out

DAVISON.png

Edited by jonbem

well, the fantastic accurate Wikipedia lists him under the MC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1917_New_Year_Honours#Military_Cross_.28MC.29

scroll down to

• Captain Otto Hanbury Davies, Royal Garrison Artillery
  • Temp Lieutenant Thomas Henry Davies, Royal Engineers
  • Temp Captain John Ogilvie Davis, Royal Flying Corps, S.K
  • Company Sergeant Major Henry Davison, Scots Guards, attd. Gordon Highlanders
  • Captain Hugh Frank Dawes, Royal Fusiliers
  • Captain Alfred Dawson, Royal Field Artillery
  • 2nd Lieutenant Frank Dawson, Northumberland Fusiliers
  • Temp Captain James Maclaren Dawson, Royal Army Veterinary Corps

ID: 13   Posted (edited)

DAVISON2.png.de70184450b307413c7be5bf2eeac1b0.pngand reported in the Dundee Courier 2/1/1917

DAVISON2.png.de70184450b307413c7be5bf2eeac1b0.png

DAVISON2.png

Edited by jonbem

ID: 14   Posted (edited)

and page 33 of the Gazette, 5th down first column the header "to be awarded the MC is on pg29.

DAVISON3.png.pdf

Edited by jonbem

Johnbem

Henry Davison is listed as having been awarded the MM and MC see here   (click on the mage

The O P is requesting  info on  why the mm was awarded and where were the Guards at the time

He is not enquiring about the MC

Ray

other questioned if MC was correct so just backing up references. If that can lead to info of why then it may help

Welcome to the Forum,

Had a search for 332nd War Diary on Ancestry and at the National Archives but couldn't locate it. Frank Davison's entry in Soldiers Died in the Great War says he was with the Home Counties (Kent) Heavy Battery, which was part of 44th Division.

You might like to see this previous thread on the 332nd - and this thread from 2015 about Gunner Cullum of the HC (Kent) HB whose number was very close to Frank's - 317166.

Going forward, Dick Flory (first thread) is the man...

Mike

ID: 18   Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, jonbem said:

Scots Guards action 1916

1st Btn

Battles Of The Somme - Battle Of Flers-Courcelette - 15/09/1916

Battles Of The Somme - Battle Of Morval - 25/09/1916

Battles Of The Somme - Capture Of Lesbouefs - 25/09/1916

2nd Btn

If MM award relates to Battle of Morval.

for further investigating of possible action, 1st Guards Brigade order number 77, 21/9/1917

map ref; 57.c.1 - 20,000

point 2. (b) 3rd Guards Brigade on left of Guards Division.

then

Supplement to order 77 - 23/9/17

The 2nd Scots Guards of the 3rd Guards Brigade will attack on the Left of the1st Btn Irish Guards. They will attack the1st and 2nd objectives.

After the action, on the 30th Sept, 2Btn Scots moved to camp south of Fricourt

Edited by jonbem

ID: 19   Posted (edited)

I've scanned through the 2nd Scots Guards diary for Sept 1916 (ancestry, image 323 onwards Piece 1223: 3 Guards Brigade (1915 - 1919))

Didn't find any ref to Henry Davison.

Edited by jonbem

7 hours ago, jonbem said:

2nd Btn

although this was detailed on one reference, the diary says otherwise.....

1/7/16  = at VLAMERTINGHE (ancestry, image 308 onwards Piece 1223: 3 Guards Brigade (1915 - 1919))

A few comments...

4 hours ago, roughdiamond said:

The Military Cross (MC) was an Officer's medal

Quite a few of whatwe now call Warrant Officers (i.e. senior NCOs) were awarded the MC. You can download free of charge a card index and pre-publication versions of the Gazette which include dates and locations of the actions which earned the MC from TNA in WO 389.

4 hours ago, jonbem said:

I note from this Roll his number changed to 2865546 Gordon Highlanders and W.O. Cl 2 crossed out

That 7 digit number means he was still in the Army in 1920 and there is a good chance his service record is still held by the MoD. It might be worth the OP contacting the Veteran's Agency.

2 hours ago, Langdon said:

Had a search for 332nd War Diary on Ancestry and at the National Archives but couldn't locate it.

Individual batteries rarely, if ever, had their own war diaries. They re normally grouped by Brigade or Heavy Artillery Group (HAG). The war record for the 332nd SIege Battery is

332nd

4, 6” Hows. (26 cwt) Made up to 6 1918. Personnel joined from 413th ?8.17.

Went out to Western Front18th May 1917. Joined 77th HAG 24th May 1917, to 52nd HAG, to 17th HAG 4.7.17, to 65th HAG 7.7.17, to 79th HAG 13.7.17, to 81st HAG 6.8.17, to 88th HAG 8.10.17, to 90th HAG 26.10.17, to 54th HAG 14.11.17, to 58th HAG 21.11.17, to 90th HAG 26.11.17, to 71st HAG 3.12.17. No subsequent change.

So for September 1917 we'd want the 81st HAG. TNA calls all SB groups as Brigades and therefore the relevant war diary is labeled 81 Brigade RGA and is in WO 95/230/1 and can be purchased cheaply from TNA or should be available on Ancestry.

Glen

Great stuff Glen, thanks.

Mike

ID: 23   Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, jonbem said:

I've scanned through the 2nd Scots Guards diary for Sept 1916 (ancestry, image 323 onwards Piece 1223: 3 Guards Brigade (1915 - 1919))

now checking diary 1st Btn Scots Guards

(ancestry Piece 1219: 2 Guards Brigade (1915 - 1919) image 511 onwards July 1916) Canal Bank, nth of Ypres

Edited by jonbem

13 hours ago, jonbem said:

however, for info here are approximate movements for September

https://goo.gl/maps/r1jwFJSwDmo 2nd btn 1-21 Sept 1917

flers https://goo.gl/maps/acWgPgicE7A2 2nd btn 22-30 Sept 1917

14 hours ago, jonbem said:

now checking diary 1st Btn Scots Guards

(ancestry Piece 1219: 2 Guards Brigade (1915 - 1919)

approximate movements 1st Btn Scots Guards September 1917

https://goo.gl/maps/Uk1W5am3KNE2