Remembered Today:

Ian Davison

davo5652

33 posts in this topic

On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 16:39, Ian Davison said:

My grandfather 6047 T/WO1 Henry Davison Scots Guards won the MM which was gazetted on 27th October 1916. I would be grateful for any information as to where/how he or the guards were at that time?

Ian,

Your Grandfather is not mentioned by name in either the War Diaries or the "official" history of the Regiment (The Scots Guards in the Great War 1914-1918) by F Loraine Petre, Wilfrid Ewart and Major General Sir Cecil Lowther, which was published in 1925. This is not unusual, as other ranks are rarely mentioned. Neither is he mentioned in a much more recent and comprehensive history, Till the Trumpet Sounds Again, by Randall Nicol, published in 2016, which does have greater detail of the Regiments war history and significantly more content and information about the men as well as the officers, but obviously cannot cover everyone.

I have no information as to which battalion he served with, but he might have served in both at some time or other, as transfers between the two battalions were common, particularly when returning from injury.

Being unable to narrow down the battalion or the date of the action which resulted in his MM award, it is difficult to say exactly where he was, but the Scots Guards in the Great War is available to read online at the link below (courtesy of the University of Michigan), and it will give you an idea of what the men of both battalions were up against around this time.

Link

Pages 139 to about 169 cover the period of September 1916.

I hope this helps.

Iain.

Iain,

Very many thanks for your reply, I understand that my grandfather only served with 2nd Btn prior to moving to take over as RSM of 6/7th Btn Gordon Highlanders on 17th January 1917. He was honoured with the MC in the 1917 New Years honours list.

i will look at the link you have attached.

Once again many thanks,

Ian Davison

Thanks for confirming the battalion Ian, and as you might have gathered, it is the same battalion that I also served in some 65 years later.

The Sergeant Major of the 2nd Bn at the start of the War was 8966 James "Jimmy" Moncur, although he did return to the UK some time later, but I am unsure of the date. It was perhaps following his departure that your Grandfather took over the position. 

It might also be of interest that on 9th October 1916 Major General G P T Feilding, Officer Commanding the Guards Division, attended a parade at Ville-sur-Ancre, where he presented medal ribbons to recipients of the Guards Division, including one DCM and fifteen MM's to the 2nd Bn Scots Guards. Maybe your Grandfather was one of them.

Maybe a medal expert would confirm if the medal ribbons would normally be presented before the publication in the London Gazette?

1 hour ago, TwoEssGee said:

It might also be of interest that on 9th October 1916 Major General G P T Feilding, Officer Commanding the Guards Division, attended a parade at Ville-sur-Ancre, where he presented medal ribbons to recipients of the Guards Division, including one DCM and fifteen MM's to the 2nd Bn Scots Guards. Maybe your Grandfather was one of them.

Don't want to appear picky but diary says 7th at 11a.m.

regards

Jon

2scotoct7th.png

2 hours ago, jonbem said:

Don't want to appear picky but diary says 7th at 11a.m.

No problem Jon. Accuracy is everything. :)

also 3 Gdr Bgde HQ diary 4th Oct 1917 (img 731 on ancestry Piece 1221/1-7: 3 Guards Brigade: Headquarters (1915 Aug - 1916 Dec))

quote "Honours list of immediate awards published, 15 awarded to the brigade"

But I can't find the list, then on next page for 7th Oct, "Major General distributed medals........"

now in Piece 1192/1-6: Headquarters Branches and Services: General Staff (1916 Jun - Dec) img pg 721

mentions G.O.C. visiting all Btns and distribute medal ribbands

notes to appendix 1147 & 1148.

but these do not relate to awards

Can I thank all who have helped with information. I would like to say that as a youngster when I was visiting my grandmother (my grandfather died when I was 5 years old), I would be allowed to hold the framed set of grandfathers medals, MC MM 1914-15 Star, War Medal Victory Medal and LSGC Medal. Whilst looking at these I would wonder how did he win these, where was he, when did he get them and so on. It was this that caused me to collect medals myself, sadly I do not have his medals, I have tried all places to locate them without success.

A very kind person put a photo of my grandfather with his adjudant, piper sgt and King George 5th, for some unknown reason I cannot find it any more. Believe me when I tell you that when I saw this photo I know what winning the lottery feels like - it was fantastic, absolutely fantastic. Could I ask if it could be sent again and cheekily ask if there are any other photos as well?

Once again a million thanks to all.

Ian Davison