Remembered Today:

gdc

Order of Battle for the Royal Garrison Artillery

10 posts in this topic

Hi,

Can anyone help me please.

I am trying to  find out how and where the attachment of the Heavy Batteries /Siege Batteries of the

Royal Garrison Artillery are recorded to the various Corps and Armies,as well as to the Royal Flying Corps

as their observers in 1917, and how to trace if they were say attached to the Australian or Canadian Armies .

I have looked at the some of the  'Order of Battle' but have only found a few  Heavy Battery references mentioned.

Thanks

Hello gdc

The file WO95/5494 at Kew has several sections, which include sections relating to Heavy Batteries, Siege Batteries and Heavy Artillery Groups (HAGs, later Brigades RGA). The allocation of batteries is usually just to HAGs and those of HAGs just to Armies but sometimes to Corps, including the I and II ANZAC and Canadian Corps. (IIRC there is also a separate section of the main file covering the Canadian HBs and SBs.)

Farndale's History of the Royal Regiment of Artillery: Western Front 1914-18 will have some information on the allocation of Groups to Corps. Regrettably, the 1917 volumes of the Official History, especially Volume II which covers 3rd Ypres, are poor on details when it comes to the artillery.

Ron

Thanks Ron,

Many thanks for the information it would seem that several areas of the armies involved  at this time seem to have a poor 'write up'

and seem to have little mention in official reports even though they had a major part in the action i.e bombardments/observations etc

and I have found very little on who told who to act. I guess It is just knowing where to find it

Thank you for the references I think it now will be a trip to Kew to follow up the dairies and the references and a hunt for the  book

Farndale's   History of the Royal Regiment of Artillery: Western Front 1914-18   -

As I am a 'rookey ' to all this ,any leads that are offered are much appreciated.

Thanks again

Graham

While you are at Kew, it might also be worth looking at WO95/5468, which gives the full BEF Order of Battle at roughly monthly intervals from Dec 1916 to Dec 1917. Normally these give allocations of HAGs only to Armies and no allocation of batteries to HAGs, but you may be lucky and find some allocations of HAGs to Corps. Each part has an index and that might just tell you a little more than the rest of the part. It is some time since I last consulted these so my memory is a bit sketchy. Incidentally, the previous file, WO95/5467 covers the earlier part of the war, and the following file, WO95/5469 covers 1918.

As to Farndale, try your local library first. If they haven't got a copy, they may be able to get you one through the inter-library loan service. I think it costs about £35, if not more, to buy.

Good hunting!

Ron

Thanks Ron 

Much Appreciated , bit busy just now planning to visit some locations in Northern France ,

connected with 3rd Battle of Ypres --But I will endevour to follow up some of your leads  before I go.

Thanks once again

Graham

Ron,

I have found a copy of Farndale's   History of the Royal Regiment of Artillery: Western Front 1914-18 

- Ordered copy of book from the library in time to read bits before trip.

Thanks

Graham

Graham

That's good news. I can recommend reading the Appendices/Annexes as well, as they have information about the make-up of HAGs and Brigades at various points during the War. Be very wary of the index, though: references to individual units all come in the R section under "Royal Regiment of Artillery", and since battery numbers are simply given by their number you have to look very carefully at the colons and semi-colons to tell which are the battery numbers and which are the page numbers! Also, some of the maps are very crude. I'm afraid that Sir Martin was not very well served by his editorial and production team!

Ron

Thanks Ron,

I have kind of got use to all this vagueness with HAGS,Siege ,RGA ,RFA, Brigades ,Corps and Armies, Roman and Arabic numerals, 

notation  so am quite use to all this ,but forewarned is forearmed as they say, sure to keep me busy for some time

But on the quiet am looking forward to what I might discover,thanks for the info.

Regards

Graham

Ron and All,

I have looked at the  History of the Royal Regiment of Artillery: Western Front 1914-18  but found nothing too much

but a mention about Italy in 1918   .

I have  just received  a copy of the diary for the 90th H A G / 90th Siege Garrison Artillery

and mentions they were in action in the Henin (Beaumont ??) area around November 1917 the period I am particularly

interested  with notation of the gun numbers and type i.e 261s

It also mentions Fontaine Church and mebus's  Vulcan,Uranus,Argus and  Bapaume and then later in the month

transferedto VI Corps.

Could any one please help give me a location of the mebuses mentioned and of the church, as I don't think it is in

Fontaine -les-Croissilles

I have also read about the 9th Royal Flying Corps ( 90th Sqn RAF) who seemed to be assigned to this area as

observers and also am reading some articals from Arthur Conan Doyle books from the 'Project Gutenberg Australia '

http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks12/1202601h.html#app

HISTORY AND POLITICS--also at Roy Glashan's Library in other formats

• A History of the Great War (Six Volumes)
    The British Campaign in France and Flanders V1--HTML
    The British Campaign in France and Flanders V2--HTML
    The British Campaign in France and Flanders V3--HTML
    The British Campaign in France and Flanders V4--HTML
    The British Campaign in France and Flanders V5--HTML
    The British Campaign in France and Flanders V6--HTML
  • The Great Boer War--HTML
  • A Glimpse of the Army--HTML
  • The War in South Africa--HTML
  • The Crime of the Congo--HTML
  • Great Britain and the Next War--HTML
  • A Visit to Three Fronts--HTML
  •  The German War: Some Sidelights and Reflections (1915)--HTML

Many Thanks

Regards         Graham

OOOPS!!!!!

On further investigation I have decided it is not Henin (Beaumont ??) but Heninel or Henin -s- Cojeul

near Croisilles, and the church is at Fontaine -les-Croiselles as the range of the guns would seem to fit the targets

mentioned in the diaries--But still unable to locate a position for the mebus's  Vulcan,Uranus,Argus