Remembered Today:

Mouse

Nurses from Newfoundland at Netley

8 posts in this topic

I have a photograph of Ruby Tessies Sister at The Royal Victoria Hospital Netley in 1919-20. On the photograph it says she came from Newfoundland. If any one has any information so i can forward a copy to relatives  I would be grateful.

Mouse

Unusual name but nothing showing for a nurses' service record or VAD card. Nothing in London Gazette and no medal card if she had overseas service before Netley.

But there are three records to 'Tessies' from Canada in the RAF during WWI;

A Tessies

JN Tessies

RMB Tessies

Perhaps a family connection?

TEW

ID: 3   Posted (edited)

Hi,

I had a look on LAC Ottawa site yesterday.

No surname of Tessie(s) listed. Several subjects with Ruby forename - male & female - including a Nursing Sister  - but no surname near to Tessies.

Steve Y

Edited by tullybrone

Thanks Looked again at the photo and her name could be Tessier. I think she was known as Ruby but her name was Annie. Thanks for looking.

Mouse.

Mouse,

She would appear to be Anna Isabel Ruby Tessier, born in St. John’s, Newfoundland on 13th November 1888. There are a lot of family trees with her on Ancestry, mostly copies of each other.

Ruby Tessier sailed from St. John’s, Newfoundland to Halifax, Nova Scotia in September 1920. She married [the] Honourable Lewis Smith at some time later. In 1921 she was living in Montreal and working as a Nurse.

Ruby died in New Brunswick, Canada on 29th October 1970.

Regards,

Alf McM

A medal roll on Ancestry shows she was awarded the British War Medal, so did not serve abroad. She is recorded as a Staff Nurse, Q.A.I.M.N.S.{R}.

Regards,

Alf McM

Thanks all. I think I have found one of her family on Ancestry and will be able to send a copy to them for their Family Tree. 

Thanks again. Mouse.