Remembered Today:

robinsgt

10th Hampshire reg sept. 1918

6 posts in this topic

Can anyone help with any details about George Victor Osborne born 1887 Headley Hampshire. Killed in action Salonika 1/9/1918. He served in the 10th Batt. Hampshire Reg. his service no. was 24953.He is remembered in the Karasouli Military cemetery.

Many thanks.

Robin

Robin, he may be remembered there, but he is also buried in  Karasouli. He has a specific grave reference. I was among the  members of the Salonika Campaign Society who visited the cemetery a few weeks ago.

The war diary recording the part played by 10 Battalion is at the National Archives in Kew. It is not digitised. I have a few pages photographed somewhere, but can't find the images at present. I'll have to copy them again next time I visit.

There are about 3-4 pages on the action in which he was killed in the volume  "The Royal Hampshire Regiment 1914-1918" by CT Atkinson, and also about 4 pages in the Official History volume covering the final stages of the  Macedonia campaign. (Military Operation\ Macedonia, From the Spring of 1917 to the end of the war.

Keith

IMG_0717.JPG

Hi Robin,

He appears on a fragment of a record here on FMP dated 15th February 1917 which reads "Postings...24953  Pte G. Osbourne   Joined Battalion from Base and Posted to "B" Co 1-2-17". His medal roll record intimates that he only served overseas with 10/Hants. it might be, but I don't know though for sure, that it relates to overseas service with 10/Hants.

Regards

Chris

Looking at his war gratuity in the Soldiers' Effects record of £9 10s, it shows (via Forum member Craig's gratuity calculator) that he enlisted in July 1916. This matches near numbers in service records (he doesn't appear to have a surviving one - on Ancestry at least) - attesting in December 1915 and possibly being posted first to the 3rd Reserve battalion in early July 1916 before being transferrred to the 10th.

His sole legatee was "Emily M" who from a couple of Ancestry family trees was his widow (Emily Mary Harris).

Mike

Thanks for all of the help

Hi

a relative of mine was also in the 10th Hampshire

29 Infantry Brigade: 10 Battalion Hampshire Regiment. #14683 Private Albert V Dewy

more in this post