Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Michelle Young

We Are All Flourishing

10 posts in this topic

Edited by Jan Chojecki and Michael Lo Cicero, this is the letters and diary of Captain Walter Coats MC. I thought this was an excellent book, published by Helion, it is the letters and diary of Walter Coats taking the reader from Mobilisation in August 1914 to his eventual demobilisation in May 1919. 

Printed on excellent quality paper, with footnotes  instead of the annoying end of chapters notes, and well illustrated, I thoroughly recommend this book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just bought this and started it last night. Beautifully produced book (as you'd expect from Helion), I'll report back when I've finished reading it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Footnotes!

 

Always my favourite way of presenting supplementary information. The only potential problem is where they threaten to overwhelm the actual diary or account.  They must never ever be allowed to spill on to the next double page, so need careful editing and discipline. The reader might just be less interested in "what the general had for breakfast" than the editor/ author.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

End Notes or Foot Notes?, that is the question.

 

I prefer foot notes for the supplementary stuff, but end notes for source notes and references.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a footnote person myself, endnotes at a pinch. What I do abhor, though, is that so-called Harvard system, of author's name and page no. in parentheses... In fact, I dislike it so much so that I no longer submit any of my articles to a certain journal which uses that style...

 

Oh, and while on footnotes, one source I came across while doing my Ph.D., and needed to use, was: A History of Northumberland, in Three Parts, Part II, vol IIi, (1840), which - according to my jottings - has a footnote on Roman frontiers and the like in Britannia, which starts on p. 257 and ends on p. 324, with footnotes within the footnote, if you see what I mean... As I recall it, for the first 20 or so pages there are about two lines of regular text at the head of the page, after which the footnote takes over the pages proper...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, trajan said:

I'm a footnote person myself, endnotes at a pinch. What I do abhor, though, is that so-called Harvard system, of author's name and page no. in parentheses... In fact, I dislike it so much so that I no longer submit any of my articles to a certain journal which uses that style...

 

Oh, and while on footnotes, one source I came across while doing my Ph.D., and needed to use, was: A History of Northumberland, in Three Parts, Part II, vol IIi, (1840), which - according to my jottings - has a footnote on Roman frontiers and the like in Britannia, which starts on p. 257 and ends on p. 324, with footnotes within the footnote, if you see what I mean... As I recall it, for the first 20 or so pages there are about two lines of regular text at the head of the page, after which the footnote takes over the pages proper...

I hate in-line Harvard referencing - the books I have being writing use a number and an associated foot note and how I reference within the footnote is my own choice.

Craig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unanimity on footnotes so far ............ I tell myself it cannot last.

 

Unless the main text is a personal diary or is autobiographical, the very act of adding a footnote requires a substantial decision from the editor/author; " does the reader need/ want this footnote?". 

 

On the other hand, endnotes can apparently be ladled on, with no constraint other than the publisher's demands. 

 

I confess that endnotes get scant attention unless an aspect screams for further reading .............. and then I lose the text page from which I departed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Muerrisch said:

... I confess that endnotes get scant attention unless an aspect screams for further reading .............. and then I lose the text page from which I departed.

 

Well, if the footnote is there then the need to know what's in it is quickly satisfied without having to tear away from the page in question and go to the endnotes and risk loosing the thread, as it were. With endnotes, my solution is to use two bookmarks, by the way, but I often find that the endnote I want to check is a page or so ahead of the bookmark place from when I last needed to check one...:( Now, let's not get onto things like op cit in a foot/endnote when there is no page reference to where the original citation is to be found...:angry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2017 at 14:29, Steven Broomfield said:

End Notes or Foot Notes?, that is the question.

 

I prefer foot notes for the supplementary stuff, but end notes for source notes and references.

I totally agree.

 

Ron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/06/2017 at 07:36, Michelle Young said:

Edited by Jan Chojecki and Michael Lo Cicero, this is the letters and diary of Captain Walter Coats MC. I thought this was an excellent book, published by Helion, it is the letters and diary of Walter Coats taking the reader from Mobilisation in August 1914 to his eventual demobilisation in May 1919. 

Printed on excellent quality paper, with footnotes  instead of the annoying end of chapters notes, and well illustrated, I thoroughly recommend this book.

Couldn't agree more - a superb read and a IMHO an important addition to the library of anyone with an interest in WW1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0