Remembered Today:

Annette Carson

Research in TNA records

32 posts in this topic

Annette,

Another potential source could be the memoirs of Harold Harrington Balfour, 1st Baron Balfour of Inchrye? He served with 60 Squadron in the early years.

If I recall correctly, Peter Hart's "Somme Success" quotes from one of Balfour's memoirs; it was either about the crash involving Robert Raymond Smith-Barry or the aerial combat which resulted in the death of Smith-Barry's successor, Francis Fitzgerald Waldron.

The Balfour memoirs were "An Airman Marches" and "Wings over Westminster", but you'd need to check with the forum members here as to which one would be of any use.

(NB: Given that Balfour was a politician, there's every possibility of imaginative encounters with the truth. Alas I gather that he was also involved in the decision-making surrounding Heathrow? There's a tendency for some local councillors to say "oh those are MY double-yellow lines, my greatest achievement ... and this is THE pelican crossing, my crowning glory during my second term of office ...". Consequently you could end up wasting money on memoirs and find that they're largely filled with alleged political achievements, with perhaps some creative re-imagining of his military career).

Annette

Having had a dig around, it seems that the Roland D.I was a single-seat version of the C.II and around 20 were built by Pfalz Flugzeugwerke.  Given criticism of both its performance and downward view, I would doubt the type saw much (if any) front-line service.  I wouldn't rule out one being encountered while undergoing type-testing with a Jagdstaffel, but would think it more likely that Armstrong met an Albatros D.I. 

Graeme

Thanks for the tips, Josquin and Errol.

Many thanks to Josquin and Errol - I have fired off an email in the direction of Norman Franks.

19 hours ago, Airshipped said:

Annette,

Another potential source could be the memoirs of Harold Harrington Balfour, 1st Baron Balfour of Inchrye? He served with 60 Squadron in the early years.

If I recall correctly, Peter Hart's "Somme Success" quotes from one of Balfour's memoirs; it was either about the crash involving Robert Raymond Smith-Barry or the aerial combat which resulted in the death of Smith-Barry's successor, Francis Fitzgerald Waldron.

The Balfour memoirs were "An Airman Marches" and "Wings over Westminster", but you'd need to check with the forum members here as to which one would be of any use.

(NB: Given that Balfour was a politician, there's every possibility of imaginative encounters with the truth. Alas I gather that he was also involved in the decision-making surrounding Heathrow? There's a tendency for some local councillors to say "oh those are MY double-yellow lines, my greatest achievement ... and this is THE pelican crossing, my crowning glory during my second term of office ...". Consequently you could end up wasting money on memoirs and find that they're largely filled with alleged political achievements, with perhaps some creative re-imagining of his military career).

Thanks for this suggestion: I extracted as much as was useful from Balfour's memoirs and wrote to him in the 1980s, but although his response was immediate and helpful, his remarks were very general and he couldn't offer replies to my specific queries. I had the impression that the memories by then had faded. 

19 hours ago, topgun1918 said:

Annette

Having had a dig around, it seems that the Roland D.I was a single-seat version of the C.II and around 20 were built by Pfalz Flugzeugwerke.  Given criticism of both its performance and downward view, I would doubt the type saw much (if any) front-line service.  I wouldn't rule out one being encountered while undergoing type-testing with a Jagdstaffel, but would think it more likely that Armstrong met an Albatros D.I. 

Graeme

Brilliant - this is just the information I needed. The fact that DVA's Nieuport was damaged in the encounter suggests a more efficient German machine than this, but if I make contact with Norman Franks I may get to the bottom of why some reports say 'Roland' and some say 'Albatros'. Much appreciated.

As a quick update on DV Armstrong and his victory on 9 November 1916 reported in 'Above the Trenches': Norman Franks has been so good as to correspond with me and confirms that the record in that book definitely derives from a combat report. He is aware of the discrepancy with Joe Warne's mention in 'Sixty Squadron' but doesn't have an explanation for it. In the interests of accuracy I shall include both records in my biography, assuming I don't find anything more conclusive ... but am naturally inclined to accept an authority that cites its source. 

I am tempted to get back issues of 'Cross & Cockade' to check whether Warne gives more information in his series on 60 Squadron, but having ordered seven or eight digital back-numbers ten days ago which I still haven't received, I think I'll hold off until something appears before I shell out. It may prove less expensive to add this to my next visit to the British Library's archives.