Remembered Today:

jonbem

Thomas Pickering - Military Foot Police

22 posts in this topic

Looking for help from pals please.

I think(?)  he was Grandmas cousins uncle!

Thomas Pickering #14/200 attested 14/1/16 
then TR/5/80442 B Company 90 TR Btn 14th Reserve East Yorks, then 264th Infantry at Astley Arms Camp, Seaton Delaval
Then t/f to Military Police approx July 1917 - to York I think. (He was a police constable prior to service)
#11866 - L/Cpl on discharge para 392 (xvi) No longer physically fit for war service in Oct 1918.

DOB July 7 1894, Mother Elizabeth. 142 Hardy St. Cottingham Road, Hull

I've read various other forum post and done several searches for more info but struggling.

My queries...

What was he doing for 18 months between attestation and t/f to the MFP. As a 6ft tall bloke in his 20's I wonder why he didn't get sent overseas?

Where in Britain would he have been serving from July 1917 to October 1918 (or stayed at York?) - all I can gather from service record is Home service, therefore no medals pair?

Would he have got the SWB?

Thanks in advance for any pointers

Jon

t-pickering1.png

t-pickering.png

t-pickering2.png

Just found a little bit more, it ties in a bit (!) with the transfer date

from http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/kings-own-yorkshire-light-infantry/

51st (Graduated) Battalion
Up to 26 October 1917, this was known as 264th Graduated Battalion and had no regimental affiliation. Before that it had been 90th Battalion of the Training Reserve and up to September 1916 had been the 12th (Reserve) Battalion of the East Yorkshire Regiment.

He did get the SWB, which has a column headed 5967da5fd87f7_swboseas.JPG.074a1910e8e91b5ca61b034bb4e09501.JPG which for him is marked NO.  (link is to Ancestry)

thanks Charlie

thought I had tried all the options on the search but couldn't find it

added to his record on my tree

ID: 5   Posted (edited)

You will also find a record of Pension on FMP that is named Frederick Pickering but has his number 11866 so I presume it is him. It says he was suffering from Neurasthenia

Edit   I see it is actually the first page of the service record you probably already have !

Edited by charlie962

ID: 6   Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

You will also find a record of Pension on FMP that is named Frederick Pickering but has his number 11866 so I presume it is him. It says he was suffering from Neurasthenia

Thought that was shell shock? Strange, the address is right also.

Had brothers Ernest & John Herbert so not sure where the Frederick is from.

Edited by jonbem
comment address

Mr Google may help explain that neurasthenia was used more widely than just for shellshock.

Service number and Discharge date match so I presume the name Frederick is a clerical error?

Hi Jon,

It's a bit frustrating really.

2 hours ago, jonbem said:

What was he doing for 18 months between attestation and t/f to the MFP

His service record shows that having attested, he was posted to 14/East Yorks, and then later (1st September 1916) posted to the 90th Training Reserve Battalion. In between the two there is a date stamp for 19th February 1916, but I can't make out what is written within it, or to the left. Per your post above, I wonder if it might relate to a posting to the 12 East Yorks?

Jon_1.jpg.b4f73172f3d93de9f5ed1ddd0b622ca6.jpg

Source - Findmypast British Army Service Records collection

Would he have got the SWB?

Yes. The record on Ancestry is here

Where in Britain would he have been serving from July 1917 to October 1918 (or stayed at York?) 

I think that it will be difficult to find out. There is a discharge record which shows Northern Command HQ, wherever that might have been. I did wonder if that was a way of getting him off the books, but there are other men classified as medical category bii who are listed as 'Area' A, B, etc

Jon.jpg.7bda710166f80ebcd6a60b2dba69985f.jpg

Source - Findmypast British Army Service Records collection

Regards

Chris

Chris

thanks

Discharge Centre is note as Ripon on one page of record.

Hi Jon,

I guess that begs the question of whether the Northern Command MFP HQ was based at Ripon, and if so whether he was he allocated his duties there at the base, or in the surrounding environs.

Regards

Chris

ID: 11   Posted (edited)

Sick report states "Station - York" - disease = "something" to hand or is it head?

t-pickering3.png

Edited by jonbem

ID: 12   Posted (edited)

OK Thanks everyone

got him on

http://www.corpsofmilitarypolice.org/soldier/9092/

I'll have to see what I can find about the MPs at York and of him after his discharge and if he returned to the normal police force.

regards to all

Jon

Edited by jonbem
add link

Here is his entry in the MP Corps Order Book. Do you happen to know which Police Force he was serving with prior to enlistment

Regards,

Richard

Thomas Pickering.jpg

3 hours ago, Provost said:

Do you happen to know which Police Force he was serving with prior to enlistment

Hull Watch Command

t-pickering4.png

3 hours ago, Provost said:

Here is his entry in the MP Corps Order Book. Do you happen to know which Police Force he was serving with prior to enlistment

Regards,

Richard

Thomas Pickering.jpg

So transferred to the "London District" of the Northern Command?

Richard, MP Corps order Book.  What a useful source. Where is this held? Is it indexed?

Jon, the names are underneath the transfer. London District relates to Pte Banks, doesn't it?

Charlie

Hi,

38 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Jon, the names are underneath the transfer. London District relates to Pte Banks, doesn't it?

That's how I would read it too, with Thomas being transferred from 264 Bn to MFP Northern Command.

Regards

Chris.

Charlie 962. It is held in the RMP Museum. Sadly it is not indexed, and there are a number of volumes missing - most frustratingly, the whole of 1915. 

Regards,

Richard

14 hours ago, charlie962 said:

Richard, MP Corps order Book.  What a useful source. Where is this held? Is it indexed?

Charlie

Of course! - just me being an unobservant reader!!

Another point of interest.

Tom Pickerings sister Mary Jane (1882-1972) married a police constable, Arthur William Norris. (1876-1941) although  I have no military history for him.

An introduction by her brother perhaps?

So far as I can find, his brother in law didn't serve with the Military Police.

Regards,

Richard

ID: 22   Posted (edited)

On 17/07/2017 at 17:14, jonbem said:

Hull Watch Command

t-pickering4.png

Do you happen to know which Police Force he was serving with prior to enlistment

Hull Watch Command

Hi,

Hull Watch Command above in previous post from jonbem should actually be Hull Watch Committee - the "employers" of officers serving in the then Kingston upon Hull City Police. Current Humberside Police may have some information in their archives.

Steve Y

Edited by tullybrone