Remembered Today:

HolymoleyRE

James Rixon RHA, RGA & RFA...a leap of faith.

17 posts in this topic

ID: 1   Posted (edited)

Another War Memorial puzzle.

 

Is this the same man?

 

Hermitage Memorial Tablet has a J Rixon

 

1901 Census James Rixon living Newbury working as a Clerk

 

1911 Census James Rixon (from Reading) RGA Spithead Fort Portsmouth.

 

1921 Kelly's Directory James Rixon Dairy Farmer Hermitage.

 

MIC #495 James Rixon BQMS RHA then commissioned.  Address on the MIC is Beedon, Newbury (3 miles from Hermitage and a farming area).

 

Service records from 1903 for Bmdr 1"495"2 James Rixon RGA from Reading on FMP and Ancestry upto March 1914 on discharge. Previous occupation as a Clerk

 

TNA has records for Lt James Rixon RFA

 

The same man GWF?

 

REgards.

Andy

 

Edited by HolymoleyRE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another one to add to the list for TNA I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Andy

If Rixon was a Baptist would he be on the tablet in Holy Trinity Church ? I don't know how these things worked.

Charlie

 

I see this is the tablet heading 596bd825cac0f_Hermitagetablet.JPG.13f1a33ffb853b5d039c494089c43161.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ID: 4   Posted (edited)

50 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Andy

If Rixon was a Baptist would he be on the tablet in Holy Trinity Church ? I don't know how these things worked.

Charlie

 

I see this is the tablet heading 596bd825cac0f_Hermitagetablet.JPG.13f1a33ffb853b5d039c494089c43161.JPG

Cheers Charlie, 

 

Not being a religious expert either, the thought hadn't crossed my mind, other than HT isn't a Catholic Church and most from records found were CofE.

Also the criteria for entry on to the plaque was very loose...As Arthur Cyril Chilton Johnson (The Vicar's Son) didn't commission into the Sherwood Foresters until Dec 1919.

 

Andy

 

 

20170615_211644.jpg

Edited by HolymoleyRE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14952 Bdr. James Rixon is the same person you have found in the 1901 and 1911 Census. He gives his father as George and younger brother as Frederick George which tallies with 1901 details and he is in Portsmouth for most of his RGA service. The officer file you have located must be that of the James Rixon who was also 495 in the RHA. The low number and the fact that the file is in WO 374 points to a Territorial soldier. I would suggest this James Rixon, going by the number, enlisted in Berkshire RHA in August 1914 and could well be the man with 11 years previous experience in the RGA which also led to a commission.

 

Incidentally for Berkshire RHA, 494 William Harry Brain became 616163 and 496 Alfred William Cox became 616165. So I would expect to see in his file that James Rixon was renumbered 616164 but may have been on a commission course by then so it is missing from the MIC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ID: 6   Posted (edited)

The LG shows


Capture.JPG.a7258afe55160ee6514229ac98f80528.JPG

 

It looks like Rixon was commissioned within the battery.

 

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers Gents,

 

So looking probable it is the same man, it would appear he commissioned from the 2/1st Berks Bty RHA 158 Bde RFA, into the the West Riding Battery RHA then

 

There are a few 616### RHA men from the Village also, but first pre 1917 I have seen, which threw me.

 

A trip to TNA to confirm, me thinks

 

Cheers Andy

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

It looks like Rixon was commissioned within the battery.

 

Thanks for that Craig, I was not looking hard enough. Just found 495, 616164 who was Lionel Horatio Brain. So he did not enlist in Berkshire RHA after all and there is a West Riding connection. Not only that 495 in West Riding RHA puts him enlisting around January 1914, which rules out the RGA man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers again, 

 

But the Beedon address on the #495's MIC is 3 miles from Hermitage......and along way from West Riding.....

 

So agreed they are perhaps different men, but just with some close coincidences....and #495 James Rixon decided to settle here post war....just in time for the memorial.?

 

Andy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, David Porter said:

 

Thanks for that Craig, I was not looking hard enough. Just found 495, 616164 who was Lionel Horatio Brain. So he did not enlist in Berkshire RHA after all and there is a West Riding connection. Not only that 495 in West Riding RHA puts him enlisting around January 1914, which rules out the RGA man.

I used the FMP LG search - if you have access it's far better as a search engine.

Craig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, HolymoleyRE said:

Cheers again, 

 

But the Beedon address on the #495's MIC is 3 miles from Hermitage......and along way from West Riding.....

 

So agreed they are perhaps different men, but just with some close coincidences....and #495 James Rixon decided to settle here post war....just in time for the memorial.?

 

Andy

 

It's a lot of little coincidences.

Craig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

It's a lot of little coincidences.

Craig

Hello Craig...

 

I am struggling to get past that two Men with the same name are living in the same area, both have links to the Artillery and have 495 in their number...

 

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ID: 13   Posted (edited)

52 minutes ago, HolymoleyRE said:

Hello Craig...

 

I am struggling to get past that two Men with the same name are living in the same area, both have links to the Artillery and have 495 in their number...

 

Andy

Something doesn't sit right but I suspect it'll need the service record - unless the unit war diary adds any info regarding the commission (I'm sure they would mention something to do with the BQMS)

 

The time line would allow pre-war Rixon to have re-enlisted on Aug 1914 (the numbers just a co-incidence I think) and be appointed BQMS before he was later commissioned.

EDIT:

It looks like the West Riding RHA remained in England before it was added to the 5th Lowland Brigade, RFA in 1916 and sent to the Middle East.

 

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ID: 14   Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, David Porter said:

 

Thanks for that Craig, I was not looking hard enough. Just found 495, 616164 who was Lionel Horatio Brain. So he did not enlist in Berkshire RHA after all and there is a West Riding connection. Not only that 495 in West Riding RHA puts him enlisting around January 1914, which rules out the RGA man.

Thanks David.....In aroundabout way!   Lionel Horatio was on the 1911 Census for Hermitage, so one more on the list.....

 

Cheers

 

Andy

Edited by HolymoleyRE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

Something doesn't sit right but I suspect it'll need the service record - unless the unit war diary

 

Craig

The WDs will be from 1916 though..??

 

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, HolymoleyRE said:

The WDs will be from 1916 though..??

 

Not relevant I think, the James Rixon you are interested in was first in France in March 1917 so was not with the first line to Egypt in early 1916.

The officer's file holds the key. The reason for his commission move should become clear.

 

How do you know the J stands for James?? It could be Jack, Jacob, Jake, John, Joseph, Jeremy, Jermyn, Jeremiah, Julian, Justin and many more

You need more information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, David Porter said:

 

Not relevant I think, the James Rixon you are interested in was first in France in March 1917 so was not with the first line to Egypt in early 1916.

The officer's file holds the key. The reason for his commission move should become clear.

 

How do you know the J stands for James?? It could be Jack, Jacob, Jake, John, Joseph, Jeremy, Jermyn, Jeremiah, Julian, Justin and many more

You need more information.

Agreed the Officer's file should put this to bed...Definately James Rixon, Kelly's Directory 1920.

 

Andy

Screenshot_20170717-220031.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now