Remembered Today:

Paul Johnson

Private John ANDREWS - PW/4908 - 1st Middlesex Regiment

5 posts in this topic

I am researching Private John ANDREWS. KIA 23/04/1917 with the 1st Battalion, Middlesex Regiment. His Regimental Number is PW/4908, which indicates that he originally served with the 18th Battalion (Public Works) Pioneers.

There is no Service Record for him and his MIC shows that he was posted Overseas after January 1916.  I am busy looking at those men with the Regimental Numbers close to his, but does anyone on here have any evidence as to when he was Transfered to the 1st Battalion? It could be a case that he was Attached to the 1st Battalion rather than being Transfered to them but I am trying to narrow down the period he served with the 1st Battalion.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You

Paul J

Original Medal Roll shows only overseas service with 1 Battalion Middlesex. If he was originally 18 Battalion he was only with them on Home Service.

War Gratuity in Soldiers Effects gives a payment of £4 so it can be calculated when he enlisted and using the death date as the term of his service. Expert(s) here for that.

On ‎15‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 15:17, Paul Johnson said:

I am researching Private John ANDREWS. KIA 23/04/1917 with the 1st Battalion, Middlesex Regiment. His Regimental Number is PW/4908, which indicates that he originally served with the 18th Battalion (Public Works) Pioneers.

Paul

I'd make the suggestion that although John Andrews had a PW/ prefixed number he never saw service with the 18th Battalion (or 19th or 26th Battalions for that matter).  Based on service records for PW/4903 (Harry Sammson Bedding) and PW/4904 (James Smith) it would appear that John Andrews was likely to have either attested under the Derby Scheme and been mobilized in mid-March 1916 or been conscripted directly at that time.  Either way it would appear that he would have been posted to the 25th (P.W.P) Reserve Battalion of the Middlesex Regiment rather than one of the three battalions previously mentioned.

Regards

Steve

14 hours ago, sotonmate said:

Original Medal Roll shows only overseas service with 1 Battalion Middlesex. If he was originally 18 Battalion he was only with them on Home Service.

War Gratuity in Soldiers Effects gives a payment of £4 so it can be calculated when he enlisted and using the death date as the term of his service. Expert(s) here for that.

£4 net would give £6 gross - 14 months qualifying service for a Private.

Craig

PaulJ

There is a Hospital Admissions record for John Andrews 4908, 1st Middlesex, available through Forces War Records.

Dated Jan 1917 it shows he had enlisted 8 months previously and had been 1 month with the field force. At this point he is B Coy, 1st Middlesex.

Aged 35 and suffering from German Measels.

Charlie