Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chwiliwr

action prior to Passchendaele - location??

7 posts in this topic

I am trying to find location of action by 7th Bn South Staffs Regt. on 27 July 1917. I have an extract of the war diary for that date which describes how reconnaissance patrols were sent out that evening to areas of various farms on West side of STEENBECK. Some of the locations mentioned are: CIVILISATION FARM, ?ULTUR FARM, RACECOURSE FARM, MULLER COTTAGE, BELOW FARM, HINDENBURG FARM, KRUPP FARM, ESSEN FARM, CHEMINS EST. 

I have no idea whether any of these place names still exist, or even if they were the correct names at the time but would appreciate any help in finding the exact location. A great uncle of mine lost his life in the action and I hope to retrace his final footsteps later this summer if at all possible.

I know that one of his comrades Pte Thomas Barratt, was awarded the Victoria Cross for his efforts in covering the retreat of the patrols.

Thanks in advance for any information that is available.

ID: 2   Posted (edited)

Chwiliwr

In the WD of 33 Infantry Brigade (WO 95/ 1811/1) the map quoted on Brigade Orders for July 1917 is 28 N W 2 St Julien. The map is in the Brigade WD at pages 37 and 38/512 on Ancestry. Civilisation Farm and Kultur Farm are in square C 16 c, Racecourse Farm C 16 a, Muller Cottage and Below Farm C 15 a, Hindenburg Farm C 8 d, Krupp Farm, Essen Farm and Chemin Est in C 14 a. If you do not have Ancestry the map is on the NLS system.

Brian

Edited by brianmorris547
correction

Hi Chwiliwr,

I found at least 8 of these on the National Library of Scotland maps.  Find the farm, then change the opacity with the slider on the top right.  Start at http://geo.nls.uk/mapdata3/trench/101464639http://geo.nls.uk/mapdata3/trench/101464639 and scroll to the south west.

Bill

Please find attached location list.

regards

John

Locations.pdf

Locations.pdf

Please find attached map.

Locations aDJ.jpg

ID: 6   Posted (edited)

And you can overlay that map on to the Belgian IGN 1:20,000 map Poperinge-Leper number 28 1-2 using the villages of Pilkem and Sint Juliaan as your reference points. Pilkem is in Square C 2 and St J is in square C 12 in the link in post 3. I got my Belgian IGN maps from Standaard Boekhandel in Roeselare but they are in most towns. Look for the Owl shop sign in the High street.

Brian

Edited by brianmorris547
additional info

Many thanks to Brian, Bill and John. I apologise for not replying earlier to express my thanks but it has been a hectic week.

This information will prove invaluable when I get to Belgium.

Dai