Remembered Today:

gary thomson

David Paterson City of Dundee Fortress Engineers

13 posts in this topic

Hi, I am currently assisting the Great War Dundee Project create an inclusive Roll of Honour. A member of the public sent in a very basic info on their relative who served on the home front in the Great War. They did not provide a service number so makes looking for info that much harder. I have had a look Ancestry using a friends account but could not find anything (my knowledge of using ancestry is very basic!!) Can anyone provide any info on this man please? for adding to an entry for him in the returnee section of this Roll of Honour. The info I have on this man is,

DAVID PATERSON/PATTERSON

CITY OF DUNDEE FORTRESS ENGINEERS

32OTH (CITY OF DUNDEE) SEARCHLIGHT BATTERY, 126TH ENGINEER REGIMENT.

Many thanks, Gary.

There is quite an interesting wikipedia entry for the Dundee Fortress Engineers Here.

It looks as if the last two units, 320th city of Dundee Searchlight Battery and 126th Engineer regiment are post WW1. I would have thought it unlikely that David Patterson served abroad in WW1, so no medal index card or medal roll entry. I could find no service record either. 

David

Hi David, thanks for looking. I came across the wiki entry  myself but other than that thats all I found.

Cheers, Gary.

Gary

From his 1917 six-figure number 410290  it appears to be A/Sgt David Patterson. His pre-1917 number was 489.

TR

Hi Terry, thanks for that. Can you confirm that he is on Ancestry ?.

Cheers, Gary.

Gary

He does not have a service record, just a mic and medal roll entry.

TR

Thanks Terry, what is a MIC Entry?

Cheers, Gary

ID: 8   Posted (edited)

Gary

I spent some time looking for service records for soldiers with numbers near David Patterson #422528, but none seemed to match with Dundee.

I did not notice Terry's suggestion but have tried the same routine to those numbers. I found service papers for William A C Simpson #410283 and #481 which show that he enlisted originally on 18/8/15 in Dundee for the City of Dundee (Fortress) RE. The papers are difficult to read but it will probably be worth your while looking at them to suggest, at least, what David R Patterson's war service might have been.

David

Edited by dgibson150

Hi David, Many thanks for your research,your kindness is much appreciated.

Gary.

39 minutes ago, gary thomson said:

Thanks Terry, what is a MIC Entry?

Cheers, Gary

MIC - Medal Index Card

Derek

Derek, thank you

Gary.

ID: 12   Posted (edited)

Dundee Fortress Company, became  1/1st Dundee Fortress Company which in 1917 was renamed 554 (Dundee) Army Troops Company. The unit war diary is available for download from the National Archives in WO95/330/1 and WO95/330/2.  His six-figure number was allocated to this unit in 1917.   

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Terry, many thanks for your continued information regarding David.