Remembered Today:

Dust Jacket Collector

Robert Graves & Siegfried Sassoon

29 posts in this topic

ID: 26   Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

Apart from Silkin, is there any semblance of a bibliography of war poetry out there??

There certainly is. Catherine Reilly's 1978 'Poetry of the First World War : a bibliography', which listed some 2,225 published poets & has been an invaluable source of information for me and others over the years. She also compiled an anthology of women poets of the War, 'Scars upon my Heart'.

Edited by Dust Jacket Collector
Wrong number used

ID: 27   Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

There certainly is. Catherine Reilly's 1978 'Poetry of the First World War : a bibliography', which listed some 2,225 published poets & has been an invaluable source of information for me and others over the years. She also compiled an anthology of women poets of the War, 'Scars upon my Heart'.

Ah yes, buried deep down in my memory-  I hope Sir is down to single figures in completing a set of inscribed copies of the entire canon!!

(Oops- and the picture on Abe reminds me that I have a copy of this buried away amongst a store of unused reference books-Mea Culpa)

Edited by voltaire60

58 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

Ah yes, buried deep down in my memory-  I hope Sir is down to single figures in completing a set of inscribed copies of the entire canon!!

Fortunately, the majority of the poets she lists only get the odd poem in an anthology or a magazine. I've restricted myself to the 16 commemorated in Poets Corner plus a few others I, arrogantly, consider worthy of inclusion. There was a lot of truly awful stuff printed at the time. Signatures tend to come as a bonus, usually when some amateur dealer has failed to open the book they're selling!

And I usually contact the seller these days to ask "when you say first edition are you sure it doesn't say '5th printing' after it"!

50 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Fortunately, the majority of the poets she lists only get the odd poem in an anthology or a magazine. I've restricted myself to the 16 commemorated in Poets Corner plus a few others I, arrogantly, consider worthy of inclusion. There was a lot of truly awful stuff printed at the time. Signatures tend to come as a bonus, usually when some amateur dealer has failed to open the book they're selling!

And I usually contact the seller these days to ask "when you say first edition are you sure it doesn't say '5th printing' after it"!

Ah-but at least one of my colleagues has a way around that- 5th printing?   -"First edition thus" (Well, it is the "first edition" of the 5th printing). I had a customer once- a wealthy Canadian collector of Churchill- His assistant carried his own print-out version of the Woods bibliography-while the man himself carried a micrometer to measure paper thicknesses and thus identify "variant" printings over and beyond Woods. Your mania has a long way to go yet. Give it time.