Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Krystyna

Uniform (women) WW1

6 posts in this topic

Please could someone identify the insignia which is on her left sleeve?  She was called Jessie Brunton (1889-1974) and the photo was found after her death so we couldn't ask her.  I didn't think women wore army uniforms except perhaps for First Aid Nursing Yeomanry?  Thank you all so much for reading this!

Jessie.jpg

Hello Krystyna
Welcome to the Forum - I hope you find it interesting.
I suspect that she has borrowed someone's uniform, belonging to a male friend or family member, simply for the photograph. I think that the arm badge is a Regimental Sergent Major's (Warrant Officer 1) Coat of Arms rank badge. WO's also wore Sam Browne belts.
Unfortunately, I cannot make out the cap badge due to the quality of the photograph. If you have the original photo, it may be worth re-scanning and enlarging the cap area as this may help in the identification of the Regiment.
I have also had a quick look in the WW1 Medal Rolls but I cannot see any "Jessie Brunton"s serving abroad during the war.

Hope this helps

Sepoy

This is really interesting. I've seen quite a few pictures from WW2 where women dressed up in their boyfriend's uniforms, but this is the first I've seen from WW1. 

Here's another one for you ^_^

My Great Aunt and her brother, my Great Uncle around 1919

Rose and Harry Shakespeare 1919.jpeg

ID: 5   Posted (edited)

Bardess's image makes a good point.  Such photos are not that uncommon and quite a number have been posted here in the forum over the years.

It was also a cultural tradition in both, Prussia and Russia for

young women of high birth to be photographed in specially tailored uniforms of regiments with which they were directly associated, rather as a form of mascot. Many of these photos were published in newspapers of the time and thus brought to the attention and consciousness of the British masses.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you so much for all you replies!  I expect she did use someone's uniform as no one in the family knew anything about it until after she died.  To be honest I don't think it's a nice thing to do, what's the point anyway?!  I am going to enjoy this site as I have uncovered a lot of ancestors and close cousins who won Military Medals in WW2.  I haven't quite got used to the site yet and how to reply to individuals!  I'm getting there though!