Remembered Today:

Julian Dawson

27th July 1916

13 posts in this topic

90 years ago Captain Charles Fryat, of the liner "Brussels", was court-martialled and shot by German authorities in Belgium for attempting to ram a German submarine. An intriguing tale. Does anyone know any more?

Isnt he the guy who there was an uproar about & who was awarded a gallantry medal? On a memorial in Southend or somewhere similar? Sure I saw a programme on him, so I imagine a google would come up trumps Julian?

Member Regulus 1 has done a lot of work on Capt. Fryatt.

A search of this forum will turn up plenty.

Kath.

Isnt he the guy who there was an uproar about & who was awarded a gallantry medal? On a memorial in Southend or somewhere similar? Sure I saw a programme on him, so I imagine a google would come up trumps Julian?

he is buried & has a memorial in Dovercourt Cemetery near Harwich - He also has a memorial on Liverpool St station in London

Chris

Thanks everyone. I knew I could rely on you guys. :)

90 years ago Captain Charles Fryat, of the liner "Brussels", was court-martialled and shot by German authorities in Belgium for attempting to ram a German submarine. An intriguing tale. Does anyone know any more?

I have a photo of his grave but I do not know where it is my father took it, the story he told me was that as you say with the addition that he was captured at a later date and was only identified as the person who rammed the sub when they found a watch in his possesion given to him by the ship owners and inscribed with the event

FRYATT, CHARLES ALGERNON

Initials: C A

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Mercantile Marine

Unit Text: S.S. "Brussels"

Date of Death: 27/07/1916

Additional information: Son of Charles and Mary Fryatt; husband of Ethel Fryatt, of 42, Oakland Rd., Dovercourt. Born at Southampton.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Cemetery: DOVERCOURT (ALL SAINTS) CHURCHYARD

Was he brought home in the same railway truck as Edith Cavell and the body of the unknown warrior?.

Mo

Was he brought home in the same railway truck as Edith Cavell and the body of the unknown warrior?.

Mo

I know they brought him by train from Bruges (where he was killed) to Antwerp.

Then by ship to the UK. (you can see some of my pics in another topic).

The Local Hospital Was Named After Him

And the Pub in Parkeston!! And what about Fryatt Avenue?

Ray