Remembered Today:

bushfighter1

Loyal North Lancashires in East Africa

993 posts in this topic

Hi All

As you can see I'm a complete newbie, so please be gentle

The amount of knowledge on here is phenomenal, especially on such a forgotten campaign. It's great to see such interest.

I have to declare a personal interest here, my father

Vincent Walton No. 26236 and his cousin & best mate

William Ashcroft No. 26220

Both had signed up in August 1914 to the 3 Btn (Glorious) Gloucesters, in Cheltenham, this Btn seems to been on paper only as all the men were transferred to the 2 Btn LNL

They presumably did their initial training in Preston,

My Question is does anyone know when they were shipped to EA ? and as a complete new company or to replace fallen troops ?

Thanks for your time

SOF

Soffers Greetings. For the first year drafts were sent from India where the Battalion Depot was located, in Bangalore. Then the Depot moved back to UK to Fulwood Barracks, Preston. I suggest that the lads were drafted out to replace medically evacuated Loyals sometime during 1916. Harry

Hi Bushfighter

Thanks for very quick reply, but this does give me (not you, though) a problem, as by the end of September 1914 these lads had been transferred to 2 LNL.

Any suggestions as to where I begin looking for details ?

Thanks again

Soffers

Soffers

Firstly, the Medal Index Cards for Vincent and William only show overseas service with the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment and have no 'Star' entitlement nor date of entry into theatre which is indicative of overseas service sometime from 1916 onwards. It's therefore highly likely that your two men were UK based until 1916 at least.

When service records etc. don't survive for the specific man/men in question, records for those with similar numbers that do survive can often be used to give some idea as to likely scenarios.

In this instance records survive on Ancestry for three men with Loyal North Lancashire Regiment numbers (#26216, #26222 & #26250) in the same range as Vincent (#26236) and William (#26220) which suggests that they were part of a sizeable draft from the 3rd Bn. Gloucestershire Regiment to the 3rd Bn. Loyal North Lancashire Regiment, a depot/training unit, at Felixstowe on 8th July 1916. Authority for this transfer was given as W.O. Telegram No.1877 AG2a dated 5th July 1916.

They were Posted to the 2nd Bn. Loyal North Lancashire Regt. on 19th August 1916 which was also the day they embarked at Devonport bound for East Africa, they disembarked at Kilwa G.E.A. on 29th September 1916. The arrival of a sizeable draft of men may have been noted in the 2nd Battalion's War Diary which Harry may have a copy of.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Thanks to you both, fills yet another gap in my knowledge as well as in the family history, the old man as with most PBI's who saw action never spoke of it

Soffers

Soffers

Just a little extra info, the draft sailed for East Africa on the 19th August 1916 aboard the 'Beltana'.

Not sure why the embarkation return shows the detail in the way it does but there were two drafts bound for the 2nd Loyal North Lancashire Regt. aboard the 'Beltana'. The first (and largest) consisted of three officers (Second Lieutenants E. Fellowes, N. McDonald & N. Baldwin) and two hundred and eighty one men, the second consisted of one officer (Second Lieutenant J. R. Godfrey) and twenty men.

Regards

Steve

Reference the 2LNL War Diary for this period.

The CO (who kept it) and almost everyone else in the battalion was going down with malaria in the Kilwa area and the diary just becomes a list of the numbers reporting sick on eash day.

Thanks for the shipping information Steve.

Harry

Hello I hope i have found a new LNL man for your list. I bought a Silver war Badge B334110 which was awarded to John Kenna in the Labour Corp. i was intrigued by his enlistment in 1908 which indicated earlier service. His MIC confirmed my suspicion and he was intially in the LNLR as Private 9424 and this shows he first landed in East Africa on 16 Oct 1914 (date he left India I believe.). Sadly I have not been able to find his service papers but I have found him in the 1911 Census in India with the 2nd LNLR. He was born in Liverpool in C1889.

If you can add anything more on him in particular I would be pleased to hear.

It was whilst I was researching the 2nd LNLR in East Africa that I came across your 40 pages on the East Africa Campaign. What an amazing link I am in awe and very grateful to you for making it so widely available

Best wishes

Andrew

Thanks Andrew. I guess that I used the best years of my retirement to go and find those East African campaign sites - I'm over 70 now and have to be more careful. I have nothing special on John Kenna but he must have landed at Tanga. Then I guess that later he was medicalled out of the infantry because of tropical illness and he was posted to the Labour Corps. Harry

I have no information to add, just another thank you to Harry for taking us to distant locations most of us can only dream of visiting, and always ready to help us with research.

Cheers

Shirley

Harry,

Interesting write-up as usual.

Jean-Paul

Fantastic piece of work Harry.....thank you for that.

I found the piece on the visit of the 2nd Loyals to Simonstown particularly interesting.

Nevertheless Colonel Jourdain, whilst resting his troops, also trained them and on 31st May he held an officers training exercise in the hills overlooking the barracks. Unfortunately that evening Major H.A. Robinson, the Senior Major, suddenly died from a heart attack; he was buried the next day at Simonstown.

I'm not surprised that Major Robinson suffered a heart attack. Those hills above Simonstown are mantled by a thick deposit of boulder-gravel hillwash which is notoriously slippery under foot and difficult to hike on.

Keep up the good work.

Kallag

post-25609-0-57103900-1379141905_thumb.j

Hills above Simonstown

Just bumping this as it may have been lost :)

Roop

Hello everybody.

Claude Rex Cleaver (post #893 and following) was my great great uncle.

Hope you don't mind me posting this on this thread, but I'm sure some of these individuals will have seen service during the East African campaign. It's an image of the 2nd Loyal North Lancs Regimental Police taken at Poona in 1913. Unfortunately un-named.

post-59858-0-31271700-1434582435_thumb.j

Thanks Mike. It's a good find.

I wonder if any of those lads were buried in Africa or off-shore at sea.

Harry

I've only skimmed through thus far, I'll be returning to read in  vast detail! If anyone can help me, I think it may be the wonderful contributors here. I have my g grandfather, James Bantry Beavers as private 355824 3rd Bn Loyal N Lancs. I know he was born in Kamptee and lived and died in felixstowe. I wonder if anyone could offer any pointers in locating his father who on my G grandfathers marriage certificate is listed as George Paris  Beavers, a government prosecutor. I'm faity new to all forms of genealogy and military research so really anything anyone can offer would be lovely. My thanks in advance, Mouldi