Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rewcastle2

WW1 (video) soldiers leaving Consett.

14 posts in this topic

Don't know if this has been posted before or not?

It's footage of soldiers leaving Blackhill railway station in Consett, Co.Durham, England for the 1st World War. (Durham Light infantry?)

The footage also shows the men at camp and some of the main street in Consett.

th__Z0000.jpg

You'll need flash player to watch it.

rewcastle2

Not seen this before, where'd ya find it rewcastle2 :D can't make it play though :(

Fantastic...what a great left hook :blink: there must be lots more of thiss kinda stuff hidden out there. Do we know the Regt.?

cheers rewcastle2 :D

some more footage here

Jon

Can you narrow the footage down to a date or battalion of the DLI ?

Mick D

The only info i can add at the minute is my mam recalls her mother talking about when she was a child.

My mam's mam was at the railway station waving the soldiers off, as the train went. (she might be on the footage with her brothers and sisters.)

The street's in the background were walton row and bottle bank ( all irish families) where my mam's mam lived.

My mam also recalls that her father had to meet his brother at the railway station to tell his brother that his wife and child had both died while he had been at war. :o

I know that there was a drill hall in consett and that they was a place to sign up. I'll have to have a look on historicaldirectories to find out where the drill hall was. I think the dli may have been the 1/6?

Some soldiers also went from consett to Newcastle to sign up with the Tyneside Irish/Scottish.

I will try and find out where the footage has came from to see if there is any more info?

rewcastle2

Nice footage, thanks for the link.

Andy

Great! The more so as it's only last week that I started showing any interest in moving images on my PC by seeing what all the excitement over YouTube was about. I wasn't very impressed, especially with the quality of many of the clips. I wondered if it was my basic screen, but rewcastle2's offering was fine.

Dunno what "flash player" is, but I don't think I've got it, but I must have something comparable cos I had no problems getting the clip to play.

Thanks for sharing such a fine piece of film with us.

Moonraker

yes it was great i can watch old films like this all day .any more out there. tom

Great piece of film rewcastle. Remember a Walter Willson's in Sunderland and a Salter's shop.Must have been prominent locally. thanks.

Being born just down the hill at Shotley Bridge,this was great to see.

You could poss date it a bit by the use of '14 ptn leather web on the train boarding troops but,not by much.

Thanks

Fantastic piece of footage, thanks for sharing

Andy

Absolutely superb, I really love old photage and particularly the archive which was recently show on TV, but can't remember the name - Kenyon I believe. Anyway this'll be 'G' AND 'H' Companies, 6th Bn, Durham Light Infantry, but may actually be footage of them on their way to annual camp in Wales, which was at the backend of July 1914 and which the War brought to a halt. My reasons for saying that are because none are wearing the Imperial Service broach and you occassionally get glimpses of their dark green Rifle pattern uniforms. Despite that it's still lovely to see something local.

Graham.

absolutely brilliant......theyre all in a bit of a hurry tho eh.is there any way of slowing down the film without impairing it ?? it would be even better to see it all,slowed down a bit !!!!