Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
empirebison

HMS Edgar

19 posts in this topic

My grandfather Charles Henry Stevens was Engine Room Artificer on HMS Edgar from June 1915 to April 1918.

I know that she was at the Dardanelles but I wonder if anyone knows of the history of that ship between those dates or can give me a clue as to where I can find any information.

He was awarded "chevrons". I imagine that they were stripes. Can anyone tell something about them ?

Would I find his service details on-line at the National Archives or would I have to pay a visit to Kew ?

Information would be much appreciated.

Winchman

My grandfather Charles Henry Stevens was Engine Room Artificer on HMS Edgar from June 1915 to April 1918.

I know that she was at the Dardanelles but I wonder if anyone knows of the history of that ship between those dates or can give me a clue as to where I can find any information.

He was awarded "chevrons". I imagine that they were stripes. Can anyone tell something about them ?

Would I find his service details on-line at the National Archives or would I have to pay a visit to Kew ?

Winchman

There are 4 x Charles Henry Stevens whose records are available online. Do any of these stand out?

Name Stevens, Charles Henry

Official Number: 234767

Place of Birth: Eastbourne, Sussex

20 November 1887 ADM 188/416

Name Stevens, Charles Henry

Official Number: J17174

Place of Birth: Midhurst, Kent

20 August 1895 ADM 188/681

Name Stevens, Francis Charles Henry

Official Number: F45027

Place of Birth: Camden Town, London

21 December 1899 ADM 188/637

Name Stevens, Charles Henry Arthur

Official Number: 224314

Place of Birth: Bexhill, Sussex

09 October 1887 ADM 188/395

Winchman

H.M.S.Edgar (1898)

post-24387-1193401323.jpg

Stripes/ chevrons were issued for each year of war service and also a war gratuity for the years served.

RN Official (service) Numbers were unique and meaninful, so if you have that finding his record is much easier.

Edgar was damaged by a torpedo from the Austrian submarine U 29 on April 4, 1918 at 35°06'N, 14°24'E.

Best wishes,

Michael

H.M.S.Edgar was one of the group of nine first class cruisers that formed part of the Naval Defence act 0f 1889.She had 9.2in. guns mounted. one each end of the vessel, with four 6in. guns on the main deck and six on the upper deck.

displacement 7350t. and a crew of 544.

Winchman

Northern Soul

Thanks for that. Unfortunately My Charles Henry was born in Hull in Jan 1881. Maybe I should have mentioned that he was in the RNVR. Does that make any difference?

There appear to be some articles about H.M.S. Edgar in the Gallipolian Magazine:

Gallipoli Association

Best wishes.

Andy.

Andy, I've checked that site out and it looks very promising - I will check it out.

Thanks for that.

Peter

H.M.S.Edgar (1898)

Stan, that's a great picture. Thanks

PS I live just down the road from you in Eaglescliffe

Peter

Edgar was damaged by a torpedo from the Austrian submarine U 29 on April 4, 1918 at 35°06'N, 14°24'E.

Best wishes,

Michael

Michael, that's very interesting. My grandfather was on the ship in April 1918 but I don't have a date but I assume that he was on board at the time.

Do you mind if I ask you the source of your info?

Peter

Yes, it makes a lot of difference; RNVR records are not online and are stored in different files at Kew. They are in ADM 337, and are stored in service number order.

Do you mind if I ask you the source of your info?

Peter

Hi Peter,

see TNA-file ADM 137/3531 "damage by torpedo to H.M.S. EDGAR"

also diary of austrian U 29, who confirms the place and time.

U 29 didn't recognize EDGAR as an cruiser, not even as an warship, instead, she thought to have torpedoed an auxiliary-cruiser !

Oliver

I haven't anything to add but if researching HMS EDGAR don't get confused by HMS EDGAR, shore base next to the Forth Bridge although it is much later than the Great War era.

Aye

Malcolm

I haven't anything to add but if researching HMS EDGAR don't get confused by HMS EDGAR, shore base next to the Forth Bridge although it is much later than the Great War era.

Aye

Malcolm

Thanks to you all for the valuable information.

It will all go towards completing my family history

Peter

Hi Peter,

see TNA-file ADM 137/3531 "damage by torpedo to H.M.S. EDGAR"

also diary of austrian U 29, who confirms the place and time.

U 29 didn't recognize EDGAR as an cruiser, not even as an warship, instead, she thought to have torpedoed an auxiliary-cruiser !

Oliver

Thanks Oliver

I found the file on the TNA last night and will be ordering a copy.

My grandfather served on the ship until 22 April. I wonder if this was because of the torpedo attack.

Best wishes Peter

Hello,

My Great Uncle Samuel Williams served as a stoker on HMS Edgar for a time, as well as HMS Lion.

5391786851_c235a1a156_o.jpg

I came across this photograph of the crew on Flickr:

3644263167_f559541f71_b.jpg

The reference on Flickr is:

My link

David Blanchard