Remembered Today:

drlbuchanan

May Duggan - Staff Nurse

9 posts in this topic

Hi , I am doing research on Family relative, along with her brother who served with the 8th Field Artillery Brigade.

Following info. at hand. I have gathered all her paybooks, passport, Nursing Broach, Army I.D. Tag and relevant Army Files from the Australian War Memorial. I have just received a couple of photos. from a relative of her with a couple of friends- Names Sr. Clarke, Matron ?, Sr. Hunt, Sr. Mary Duggan.

Also included 2 photos. captioned "Dartford - Christmas"

Would anyone have an idea who the Matron may be ?

My Great Aunt was on Nursing Staff. Her file dates her returning to Australia H.T Kyber - embarking 31/8/1919. She did two tours, returning to Australia on the Runic 12/5/1916.

Following info. @ hand: Enlisted June 1915 - Discharged July 1919

1st A.G.H Heliopolis

14th A.G.H Abbassia

3rd British General Hospital-Havre

38th Stationary Hospital - Calais

3rd A.C.C.S

38TH Stationary Hospital Genoa

3rd Aust. Aux. Hospital Dartford.

Cheers;David Buchanan

Hi

I am also researching May Duggan- my father was the son of M.J Duggan - May and Daniel's brother. I have some photos and medals- grateful for any other information you have. Very best. Kate Duggan

Hi there David and Kate

Fantastic that the two of you have connected here! The matron of 3AAH Dartford in 1918 was Matron Bessie Pocock. There are some photos of her in the AWM collection if you need to compare faces.

Let me know if I can help with anything else on Mary (May).

cheers

Kirsty H

I am also researching a relative - an Australian nurse, Ethel Lloyd, serving with the 38th at Genoa from mid 1918 to the end of the war. I have basic information and some of her records. Anyone know anything about her?

regards

Liz

Hi there, if you want more info about Ethel Graham Lloyd, pre or post war, let me know and I'll have a look for you.

Thanks Kirsty. I have collected a lot of information from Trove re Ethel Graham LLOYD.

I thought I knew what I was doing until I read the War Diary of Lieut-Colonel MW Falkner, commanding the 38th Stationary Hospital in Genoa. According to his notes, the 38th detrained at Genoa on 21 nov when he "Took over Christoforo Colombo Hospital". This same hospital was demobilised in January 1919. Until now I was confident that the 38th worked out of a school in Genoa! Mr Google is not helping me find any reference, past or present. I thought Matron Davidson's narrative may help but that has proved almost impossible to request a copy quickly. Does this make any sense to you?

Hello David and Kate,

I know it has been a while since anyone replied to your actual request David. I found a (very) brief mention of Sister Duggan in the 38th Genoa war diary:

"2/7/18 Sisters Duggan & Doyle A.A.N.S. departed on leave to UK".

There is no other mention of them and very, very little mention of any other nursing staff. The Matron there was Ethel Sarah Davidson. She was only mentioned by name once in this diary - when she went on leave in Sept 1918.

regards

Liz

Thanks Alf, I do have Ethel's record. It's the contradictory details I am struggling with.

regards

Liz