9 replies to this topic

#1 sadsac

sadsac

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 1,770 posts
  • Interests:Submarines Naval U-boats War General

Posted 19 June 2008 - 07:33 AM

Hello all, do not quite know if this is appropriate to this Forum, but `Yer goes'.
Info sort on Steam / Sail ship S.S DRYDEN built 1888 ??? known to have sailed to Australia 19?? possibly as `Hospital ship' ? Any details most welcome.

Sadsac

#2 Kath

Kath

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,144 posts
  • Interests:Researching loss of HMT Royal Edward 13th August 1915.
    Preparing website on Royal Edward.

Posted 19 June 2008 - 09:27 AM

??????

http://www.history.n...snsh-i/iris.htm

See also!
http://1914-1918.inv...amp;mode=linear

Kath.

#3 Silent Warrior

Silent Warrior

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 577 posts
  • Interests:Retired Paramedic and Sportdiver of 35yrs -
    Hobbies/sport/interests - Writing books about diving, shipwrecks and submarines - Silent Warriors in 3 volumes. Diver's Guide to the Farnes & Holy Island; Shipwrecks of the North East Coast 2 volumes; Shipwrecks of the East Coast 2 volumes and The Ultimate Shipwreck Guide - Whitby to Berwick by Ron Young

Posted 19 June 2008 - 11:20 AM

The DRYDEN (Official No. 91268) was an iron-hulled 2,858-ton cargo steam ship that measured: 310.6 x 38.8. Hawthorn Leslie & Co., at Hebburn onTyne, near Newcastle built and completed her as yard No.264 in July 1885; she was launched on 22 October 1885 for Liverpool, Brazil & River Plate Steam Navigation Co., Ltd., Liverpool and Lamport & Holt was the manager. She was powered by a 2-cylinder compound steam engine.
In 1895 she was renamed MENEMSHA by new owners Mendota SS. Co., Ltd., Liverpool and T. Hogan & Sons, New York was the manager.
In 1897 she was registed to Miami SS. Co., Inc., New York, USA Official No.92784
In May 1898 she was renamed IRIS by the U.S. Navy as a distilling ship,
In 1904 converted to a collier,
In 1909 used as a torpedo boat tender
In 1917 owned by U. S. Shipping Board, San Francisco
1921 owned by Pacific Transport Co., Inc., San Francisco and Swayne & Hoyt, Inc. was the manager
Broken up in the 3rd quarter of 1928, sold to General Metals & Supply Co.

Cheers Ron wink.gif

#4 sadsac

sadsac

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 07:58 AM

Silent Ron, many thanks for the info supplied - great stuff.

Kath, many thanks to you for your info.

BUT - have now been informed that the ship in question could be SS DREYDEN ?????
OR is this a miss-spelling / ??? for DRYDEN does anyone think ????

Was there a DREYDEN of period 188? to 19?? - and if so what was that & what did she do ??

Replies SVP Sadsac

#5 Silent Warrior

Silent Warrior

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 577 posts
    Hobbies/sport/interests - Writing books about diving, shipwrecks and submarines - Silent Warriors in 3 volumes. Diver's Guide to the Farnes & Holy Island; Shipwrecks of the North East Coast 2 volumes; Shipwrecks of the East Coast 2 volumes and The Ultimate Shipwreck Guide - Whitby to Berwick by Ron Young

Posted 20 June 2008 - 09:27 AM

Hi Sadsac

Can't find any ship of that name, but the Dryden was also called IRIS too wink.gif

Cheers Ron

#6 historydavid

historydavid

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 10:06 PM

Sadsac, this is probably the one you are looking for:

On 28th March 1918 SS (da) Dryden built ?, 5,839 grt, hit mine laid by UC 75 in 49.28N, 02.55W and was damaged near Trinity Lightship, Liverpool Bay, Irish Sea but suffered no casualties and reached port.

Best wishes
David

#7 Silent Warrior

Silent Warrior

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 577 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 09:44 AM

That one was built in 1912 and originally laid down as the BOLTON ASTLE as Yard No.233 by Wm. Hamilton & Co., Ltd., Port Glasgow, for Lancashire Steam Shipping Co., Ltd., Liverpool and J. Chambers & Co. was to be managers
However she was launched as DRYDEN for Liverpool, Brazil & River Plate Steam Nav. Co., Ltd., Kiverpool and Lamport & Holt, Ltd. were the managersl
In 1933 renamed PANAGHIOTIS TH. COUMANTAROS by new owners Coumantaros Bros., Piraeus
In 1940 renamed EVGENIA by new owners Stavros Niarchos, Piraeus

She was damaged slightly on 15 May 1940 off Knokke by near misses in German air attack, abandoned by her crew, scuttled 18 May 1940 in Zeebrugge Roads, while on voyage from Antwerp to New Orleans, in ballast

Cheers Ron

#8 historydavid

historydavid

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 10:31 PM

Thanks for the extra info Ron.

Best wishes
David

#9 sadsac

sadsac

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 07:11 AM

David, Ron, many thanks for extra info. So I can `discard' that one.
No further on DREYDEN ??

Sadsac

#10 malcolmcelyn

malcolmcelyn

Private

• Members2
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:05 PM

Hello all, do not quite know if this is appropriate to this Forum, but `Yer goes'.
Info sort on Steam / Sail ship S.S DRYDEN built 1888 ??? known to have sailed to Australia 19?? possibly as `Hospital ship' ? Any details most welcome.

Sadsac

A friend has bought a drawing of a ship, steam powered but with sails. Wanting to know a bit about it, I entered it's name in Google and here I am. I realise it's an old post, but thought it might help someone. It's a drawing of "Dryden No1".

Posted Image

Not the clearest of images, and not quite the whole thing. I took it with my mobile phone in a narrow hallway. If it looks as if it's what you're interested in, I'll see if I can arrange to take a better photo.