The DRYDEN (Official No. 91268) was an iron-hulled 2,858-ton cargo steam ship that measured: 310.6 x 38.8. Hawthorn Leslie & Co., at Hebburn onTyne, near Newcastle built and completed her as yard No.264 in July 1885; she was launched on 22 October 1885 for Liverpool, Brazil & River Plate Steam Navigation Co., Ltd., Liverpool and Lamport & Holt was the manager. She was powered by a 2-cylinder compound steam engine.
In 1895 she was renamed MENEMSHA by new owners Mendota SS. Co., Ltd., Liverpool and T. Hogan & Sons, New York was the manager.
In 1897 she was registed to Miami SS. Co., Inc., New York, USA Official No.92784
In May 1898 she was renamed IRIS by the U.S. Navy as a distilling ship,
In 1904 converted to a collier,
In 1909 used as a torpedo boat tender
In 1917 owned by U. S. Shipping Board, San Francisco
1921 owned by Pacific Transport Co., Inc., San Francisco and Swayne & Hoyt, Inc. was the manager
Broken up in the 3rd quarter of 1928, sold to General Metals & Supply Co.