16th Battery / 41st Brigade RFA on 21st March 1918

4 replies to this topic

#1 MAW

MAW

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 141 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 12:48 PM

I would like to know where 16th Battery / 41st Brigade Royal Field Artillery was stationed on 21st March 1918.

The 41st Bde RFA formed part of the 2nd Division and I think it was in the Arras area at the time (near the northern limit of the German Offensive).

Mark

[researching Corporal Thomas Fairgray, 16 Bty / 41st Bde RFA, killed in action 21/3/18]

#2 spyinthesky

spyinthesky

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 425 posts
  • Interests:1 Bty RFA, 45 Bde<br />RFA SDGW/ODGW Database<br />RFA dispositions<br />

Posted 05 August 2008 - 06:53 PM

Mark
All i've got is that they were taking part in Battle of St. Quentin 21-23 Mar 18

Regards
Paul

#3 MAW

MAW

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 141 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:22 AM

Thanks Paul,

I think the Arras area was right up in the northern reaches of this battle. My research subject (kia 21/3/18) is commemorated on the Arras Memorial.

Mark

QUOTE (spyinthesky @ Aug 5 2008, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mark
All i've got is that they were taking part in Battle of St. Quentin 21-23 Mar 18

Regards
Paul

#4 battiscombe

battiscombe

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 07:37 PM

On the morning od 21st March the 2nd Div were in Vth Corps reserve but the artillery were still in the line . the divisional history shows the Brigade on S side of Beaucamp village, west of Villers Plouch (if I read the map correctly), about a mile behind the front line of 47th division .. they will have been heavily shelled as the german offensive kicked off with bombardment at 4.40am.. "the 16th and 17th batteries near Beaucamp were neutralised during the beginning of the attack by gas .. both batteries fired for four and a half hours in gas masks, the 16th suffering several casualties ..' .. Corporal Fairgray was presumably one of them ..

#5 MAW

MAW

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 141 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 08:29 PM

Thankyou for this information - very useful.

Mark

QUOTE (battiscombe @ Aug 6 2008, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On the morning od 21st March the 2nd Div were in Vth Corps reserve but the artillery were still in the line . the divisional history shows the Brigade on S side of Beaucamp village, west of Villers Plouch (if I read the map correctly), about a mile behind the front line of 47th division .. they will have been heavily shelled as the german offensive kicked off with bombardment at 4.40am.. "the 16th and 17th batteries near Beaucamp were neutralised during the beginning of the attack by gas .. both batteries fired for four and a half hours in gas masks, the 16th suffering several casualties ..' .. Corporal Fairgray was presumably one of them ..