2 replies to this topic

#1 dargai

dargai

Sergeant

• Members2
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 12:51 AM

Hi
whilst visiting my head office ( H. Samuel Jewellers) in the Birmingham jewellery quarter i noticed a plaque on the wall as you left listing all those who lost their lives in the great war. I thought it would be fasinating to try and find out who they were. I persume that they all must have joined the Birmingham pals regiment as this was the most popular thing to have done at that time. Can any body give me some guidence. Dargai

#2 Chris_Baker

Chris_Baker

General

• Old Sweat
  • 13,980 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 06:31 AM

That's not a safe assumption, Dargai. Some may have enlisted into the City Battalions but equally could have been Territorials, Special Reservists, conscripts, in any other regiment ... or in the navy.

Terry Carter, a member of this firum, wrote the book on the Birmingham Pals and may be able to quickly confirm whether these men were Pals, if you can provide the names from the memorial.

#3 Terry Carter

Terry Carter

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 04:39 PM

Hi Dargai

Chris is correct. The men could have served various regiments or Navy and Flying Corps. Would it be possible to take a picture next time you visit? In fact, Forum member, Subutone, may already have the information from the memorial.

regards

Terry