British Forces in Italy

55 replies to this topic

#1 Chris_Baker

Chris_Baker

General

• Old Sweat
  • 13,998 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 10:39 AM

Through my interest in the 1st South Staffords I have a broader interest in that very neglected campaign conducted by British and other forces in Italy, 1917-1918.

This thread is to sound out any pals interested in forming a special interest group along the lines of the Salonika Campaign Sociery or the Gallipoli Association.

My thinking is something along these lines:

> a small annual subscription
> a six-monthly members newsletter
> an annual day school or seminar
> an annual battlefield trip
> a members website
> encouraging more interest and research into the campaign
> encouraging links with historians/groups/local contacts in Italy.

I'd also try my University of Birmingham links as far as promotion/possible location for meetings, etc

So, big question, would anyone be up for this kind of thing? Any other/different ideas about how to go about it, comments etc all welcome.

#2 Steven Broomfield

Steven Broomfield

General

• Old Sweats
  • 14,079 posts
  • Interests:10th Royal Hussars (PWO), 11th Hussars (PAO), The Royal Hussars (PWO), The King's Royal Hussars

Posted 23 November 2008 - 10:41 AM

I'd be interested. It's certainly a very under-reported campaign.

Might be good to add the opposition forces to the overseas contacts.

#3 MartinWills

MartinWills

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,365 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 10:49 AM

Chris.

Kate & I would be interested - anything that is away from "The Western Front" gets our vote.

One of the strengths of the SCS is it's links with commemoration ceremonies both here and in "theatre" - just a thought?

ALSO - I don't think it should be restricted to the British involvement or limited to 1917-1918.

Martin

#4 Greenwoodman

Greenwoodman

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 11:38 AM

Definitely up for it.

#5 Charles Fair

Charles Fair

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 1,772 posts
  • Interests:Territorial Force (19th London Regt, 1 Hertfordshires)
    47th and 60th Divisions
    development of tactics 1914-18
    L'Armee Francaise de 1914-18
    Salonika Campaign
    British Commission For Military History
    Centre For First World War Studies (U of Birmingham) - this links to my profile on its site: http://www.firstworldwar.bham.ac.uk/friends/fair.htm

Posted 23 November 2008 - 11:47 AM

Gets my vote, and agree it should cover not just the British involvement. (I have a growing interest in Italy 1943-45 as well)

#6 bushfighter

bushfighter

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweat
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:East Africa & Middle Eastern Campaigns, particularly the activities of the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment

Posted 23 November 2008 - 12:35 PM

Definite interest, particularly in the activities of 2 BORDER, Labour units and Intellligence personnel.

#7 Nigel Cave

Nigel Cave

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 01:16 PM

Interested, though have done nothing very much about it.

We also have quite a big house (two actually) at Rovereto, where there is a large Italian (and Austro Hungarian, for that matter) ossuary and very interesting military museum; the house has about twenty or twenty five bedrooms (designed for boarders, but all en suite, so maybe quite useful for a summer time visit? Good rail connections to Verona and onwards to Padua and Venice, for those interested in less military type things.

#8 apwright

apwright

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 02:02 PM

Count me in!

Adrian

#9 ceebee

ceebee

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 507 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:44 PM

I'll put my hand up too.

Have recently touched on the RFC's role in Italy and always interested in the cemeteries and memorials.

#10 Anthony Bagshaw

Anthony Bagshaw

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,727 posts
  • Interests:Men from Mansfield Woodhouse and Forest Town, Nottinghamshire who gave their lives and those who served<br /><br />Sherwood Foresters

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:55 PM

I would be interested in this. I would love to learn more about the Campaign in Italy and the cemeteries and memorials. My interest really is with the 11th Notts and Derbys (like Richard) and the Mansfield Woodhouse lads who fault and fell there.

#11 Greenwoodman

Greenwoodman

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:42 AM

I would agree that it should not just be restricted to British involvement - I know little of the Italian effort and would like to learn more.

#12 Jonathan Saunders

Jonathan Saunders

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 09:11 AM

Three Royal West Kent battalions served in Italy so opportunity to learn more about the campaign is welcome.

However the major attraction is the opportunity of a repeat battlefield trip to Italy - logistically not an easy battlefield tour to arrange.

#13 Alan Tucker

Alan Tucker

Brigadier-General

• R.I.P.
  • 1,989 posts
  • Interests:Birmingham and the Great War
    Devonshire Regiment

Posted 24 November 2008 - 10:02 AM

Interested because of Warwicks Territorial involvement

#14 Ron

Ron

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 202 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 10:36 AM

Count me in.
Ron

#15 Chris_Baker

Chris_Baker

General

• Old Sweat
  • 13,998 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 02:50 PM

Thanks, all. I'm thinking of some kind of kick-off meeting. I shall do a little planning and get back to you. Meanwhile all ideas welcome.

#16 accypal11

accypal11

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 12:13 PM

Hi Chris As Unit coordinator of the York and Lancaster Regiment of the Great War Society I and some colleagues had the pleasure of attending the 90th Anniversary of the Battle of the Solstice at Nervesa Della Battaglia (Piave River) which was fantastic, with over 250 living historians from all over Europe taking part. We are hoping to return to Italy next year to visit our italian friends and see the Asiago Plateu are in the mountains.

#17 Dagwood

Dagwood

Sergeant

• Members2
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 06:27 PM

I'm interested, my grandfather served in the RFA and was captured at Canove on the Asiago Plateau on 15 June 1918.

Stephen

#18 DavidWFox

DavidWFox

Sergeant-Major

• Members2
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:My father's regiment - 1st Sth Staffs 1917 - 1919, Flanders and Italy.<br />WFA member - tour organiser, speaker finder. <br />Other interests - social history - effects of Great War on British society - attitudes to class, roles etc..<br />

Posted 28 December 2008 - 04:49 PM

Chris
As I hve a similar interest in the Italian front - because of my father's serviuce in the 7th Div with the 1st South Staffs please count me in.
David Fox

#19 JulianB

JulianB

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 899 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 07:04 AM

I am researching the 123 Bde, part of 41 Div which was on the Montello between Nov 1917 and early March 1918. I have bits of information / reminiscence but I'd be interested in learning more.

#20 Terry Carter

Terry Carter

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 02:58 PM

I would imagine the Royal Warwicks had more battalions serving in Italy during 1917-18, than any other regiment (unless, you know better). So, you can count me in aswell.

Terry

#21 lenandoliver

lenandoliver

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:Huntingdonshire Cyclists
    1/20th London Regiment (Blackheath & Wookwich)
    1st Royal Berkshire Regiment
    7th Bedfordshire Regiment
    2nd Battalion York & Lancs Regiment

Posted 02 January 2009 - 05:20 PM

Chris,

I would be extremely interested as my Grandfather was in Italy.

See my signature.

Regards Frances

#22 chrisharley9

chrisharley9

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 6,451 posts
  • Interests:Norfolk Regt, Cambridgeshire Regt, Western Front, Medical Staff of All Nationalities, Non Commemorated War Dead

Posted 02 January 2009 - 05:25 PM

Did someone mention a battlefield trip - did someone mention trains - seriously as the Norfolks were involved in that campaign I would be interested

Chris

#23 francis mackay

francis mackay

Private

• Members2
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with the Italian, Serbian and Albanian Fronts; 'anything' covering American, Austro-Hunagarian, British. Bulgarian*, Czech, French, German and, of course, Italian, also Montenegran and Serbian forces and civlian-manned hospitals, canteens, reading-rooms, etc.<br />* little more than a Military Mission and some observers of mountain warfare, tunnelling and the like.<br />Also, anything about visits to either side of the fronts by military respresentatives of neutral nations.

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:12 PM

And count me in, too; a great idea!
The Italian Front/Campaign has something for everybody; fighting from sea-level in the marshes near Venice (heavy artillery on barges..) to skirmishes among high peaks in the Dolomites (and a medium artillery pieced hauled up to 12,000 ft or so, mainly by Russian PoWs). Railways; standard guage including a Hungarian-built armoured train used to raid Monfalcone station, Italian and French railway guns... narrow gauge, including rack-and-pinion on the ascent to the Asiago plateau, and a RE Railway Operating Company plus French-operated lines and numerous Italian street'road tramways. Air? RFC/RAF including Tony Benn's father helping parachute an Italian agent onto a mountain pasture; Italian flying bombs (including a biplane one...), and much, much more.
A fellow enthusiast (and an experienced italain battlefield guide), Dale Hjort, currently off-line, is also interested.
Francis Mackay
in cold and snowy Scotland

#24 paul guthrie

paul guthrie

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,733 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:22 PM

Hello Francis, glad you are still kicking! Dale too. I have been back to Italian Front since our Flanders Tours trip and spent time in Slovenia too. beautiful there as well as Asiago, I may try to get US Branch WFA there later, our 09 trip is F & F as usual.

#25 francis mackay

francis mackay

Private

• Members2
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with the Italian, Serbian and Albanian Fronts; 'anything' covering American, Austro-Hunagarian, British. Bulgarian*, Czech, French, German and, of course, Italian, also Montenegran and Serbian forces and civlian-manned hospitals, canteens, reading-rooms, etc.<br />* little more than a Military Mission and some observers of mountain warfare, tunnelling and the like.<br />Also, anything about visits to either side of the fronts by military respresentatives of neutral nations.

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:34 PM

And hello, to you,too, Paul/Pete! Glad all goes well with you and the Chapter. Italy looks better and better every time I go; still much research to be done, mind. Going to support Chris's idea? Regards, Francis

Reply to this topic