Munitions workers

3 replies to this topic

#1 Joy Dean

Joy Dean

Sergeant-Major

• Members3
  • 73 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 09:48 PM

I understand that my Granny Eva Brooks and her sisters Minnie Harrison and Prissy Monks worked in munitions.
Would anyone be able to tell me anything about munitions workers, please, and where they might have been? - Woolwich Arsenal? They lived in Lambeth / Vauxhall.
Thank you.
Joy

Attached Images

• Eva__Minnie__Prissy.jpg

#2 Pete Wood

Pete Wood

Brigadier-General

• Banned
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 06:24 AM

Lambeth and Vauxhall are (just) in SE London. But it is a fair distance to Woolwich, so I suspect that the sisters probably worked closer to home.

There were hundreds of firms making munitions - or parts of munitions - all over London (and the rest of the UK), so you would only be guessing about their place of work.

However, I recently discovered that SOME records of munitions workers have survived - and are in the following place:

Mr I. C. Todd
Civilian Records Management for Director (D S D C )
Ministry of Defence
Defence Storage and Distribution Centre
Llangennech
Llanelli
Carmarthenshire
SA14 8YP
Tel 01554 822 352
Fax 01554 822 350

Mr Todd is a very enthusiastic historian, and is always keen to help. You will need to give him as much information as possible - full name, date of birth (if known) etc.

Don't expect miracles. It is like stepping back in time, dealing with this place, and you'll get funny replies such as "What's an email.....?" blink.gif

If you strike lucky, tell me the secret of your success. I have given them a dozen names so far, without any 'hits.' But it has to be worth a phone call.....

#3 Rosemary Clarke

Rosemary Clarke

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 258 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 08:36 PM

I'm sure there is a feature article on munitions workers in the current issue of Family History Monthly that may give some more pointers.

#4 Joy Dean

Joy Dean

Sergeant-Major

• Members3
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 09:07 PM

Thank you very much for both responses, very helpful.
Joy

Reply to this topic