7 replies to this topic

#1 r0an

r0an

Corporal

• Members2
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 01:16 AM

I hope you guys can help me out again.

267012 Private Alfred Windley - Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment)
Death Date: 29 Sep 1917

Im trying to find out if this Alfred Windley is one of mine, I have two Alfred's of age in my family.

Alfred Windley
Birth: 1895
Radford, Nottinghamshire, England
Born of Enoch & Harriet Windley

Alfred Windley
Birth: 1894
Nottingham, England
Born of Alfred & Phebe Windley

Any help gratefully received

Regards

r0an

#2 Esskay

Esskay

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 01:41 AM

SDGW has him as born and enlisted Nottingham - resided - New Basford, Notts

Presume you have seen his CWGC entry - where his widow is shown as Mrs M Windley
http://www.cwgc.org/...casualty=455104

A Mabel Belshaw married Alfred Windley in Nottingham in the 4th qtr 1916 (ref vol 7b page 567) - perhaps the marriage certificate might give you more information to pin it down

Cheers
Sue

#3 r0an

r0an

Corporal

• Members2
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 07:34 PM

QUOTE (Esskay @ Nov 25 2008, 01:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A Mabel Belshaw married Alfred Windley in Nottingham in the 4th qtr 1916 (ref vol 7b page 567) - perhaps the marriage certificate might give you more information to pin it down

Thanks sue rolleyes.gif

#4 mikebriggs

mikebriggs

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,519 posts
  • Interests:6th Battalion Sherwood Foresters (1908-1918) and the British Army in Tipperary (1920-22).

Posted 28 November 2008 - 10:50 PM

Medal role entry

Attached File  windley.jpg   28.37KB   5 downloads

#5 r0an

r0an

Corporal

• Members2
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 11:06 PM

Thanks Mike

biggrin.gif

#6 r0an

r0an

Corporal

• Members2
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 12:26 AM

Just to let you know, he was one of mine. So thanks for the help.

The Three Brothers

He actually was the third of three brothers to die during WWI.

Serjeant John Windley
Birth: 1888 in Nottingham, England to Alfred & Phoebe Windley. He married Nellie Gertrude Whiting in 1908 & had two Children, Nellie Elizabeth & Sonney. 265025, 1st/7th Bn., Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment). The photo is from the Nottingham Evening Post, 1917 Roll of Honour.

he is remembered in the obituaries, Nottingham Evening Post, 20th July 1917 Page 4

WINDLEY: Died of wounds. July 14th. Sergeant John Windley, Sherwood Foresters. 90 Sandon St, New Basford They miss him most who loved him best. From his loving sister Nellie and Arthur, also his two little children, Annie and Sonny.

WINDLEY: Died of wounds in France. July 14th. Sergt. Jack Windley, Sherwood Foresters. Beloved brother of Mrs and Mr. Dale, Coventry. A noble life laid down.

WINDLEY: Died of Wounds, July 14th; Sergeant Jack Windley. Sherwood Foresters, aged 29. Peace after pain. - Loving brother and sister, Mabel and Alf (in France).

Alfred is also remembered in the obituaries, Nottingham Evening Post 13th October 1917 Page 2.

267012, 2nd/7th Bn., Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment)

WINDLEY, Killed in action, september 29th. Pte. A Windley, Sherwood Foresters, aged 24. A bitter blow, a shock severe, to part with one I loved so dear; Christ will link the broken chain, closer when we meet again. - His sorrowing wife Mabel

WINDLEY, Killed in action, September 29th, Pte. A. Windley, aged 24, beloved brother of Mrs. and Mr Dale, of Coventry. Third brother to fall. For ever in our thoughts.

The third brother Im having problems finding details of his death. Henry, or as the family called him "Harry". He was born in 1891.

If anyone knows what the foresters were doing on the dates my uncles were killed id be very grateful to find out. Thanks again!

#7 BRONNO

BRONNO

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 634 posts
  • Interests:All Campaigns and Battalions of The Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regt) 45th/95th Foot

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:48 AM

QUOTE.

If anyone knows what the foresters were doing on the dates my uncles were killed id be very grateful to find out. Thanks again!

265025 Jack (John) Windley, D.O.W. 14.7.1917. (7th Battalion) Notts and Derby Regt.

Below is a section of the war diary, it is the last action in which the 1/7th Sherwoods were in before Jack died of his wounds. regards, BRONNO.

JULY. 1917.

LIEVIN LEFT SECTOR - BRIGADE RESERVE

1st July 1917.

Operations on night 29/30th June.

For Commanding Officers report on these operations in which the Battalion took and held ALARM TRENCH.
Move. During the night 30/6/17 - 1/7/17 Battalion was relieved in the Right Sub-sector by the 2nd Battalion SHERWOOD FORESTERS (Lt.Col. BRADSHAW) and moved into Brigade Reserve about CROOK and CRIMSON. Later on the same night A and B Coys moved into CRAZY REDOUBT.
Operations by 46th Division. On the morning 1st July the 46th Division attacked the German lines on a 3 Brigade front to secure the line from SOUCHEZ RIVER, ACONITE and ALOOF Trenches, joining up to our original front line by COLLEGE, CORNWALL and COMBAT Trenches. ZERO was at 2.47 a.m.
During the morning "D" Coy. 7th SHERWOOD FORESTERS was ordered to move to ALARM TRENCH to support the 2nd Battn. SHERWOOD FORESTERS in case they decided to attack again at noon. "D" Coy. got to their positions and reported to C.O. 2nd Battn SHERWOOD FORESTERS. The attack did not take place, and they rejoined the Battn on the evening of the next day. We had 4 casualties occur whilst getting into position. Two killed and two wounded.
Strength Decrease. 2nd. Lieut. G.A.P. RAWLINS (sick) was invalided to England on 28/6/17.

Casualties. During the fighting recorded during the last few days the following fatal casualties occurred in the Battalion:-
2 Officers and 16 Other Ranks.

14th July 1917

Parades. The Battn. was inspected by the C.O. during the morning in full marching order. The remainder of time was devoted to Kit inspection, Box Respirator and P.H. Drill, and fitting of equipment. Caps were worn, and Steel helmets strapped on back of pack. The P.H. was worn over right shoulder down right side, The Box Respirator over right shoulder down left side.

Strength Increase. 7 O.R. from Divisional Depot Battalion.

#8 r0an

r0an

Corporal

• Members2
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 05:45 PM

thanks a million Bronno

I guess Jack was one of the two wounded.

I found the third brother also: http://www.cwgc.org/...casualty=867460

Kind Regards

r0an