Wrexham Memorials

4 replies to this topic

#1 'Ticker' Riley

'Ticker' Riley

Sergeant-Major

• Members2
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 11:16 PM

I wonder if anyone knows if photographs and/or transcriptions of any of the memorials in Wrexham are accessible on-line at all? I understand from the UKNIWM that one of the main memorials is at St Giles' Parish Church in the town, and records the names of 343 Wrexham men who "died for their county in the Great War" on five brass plaques. Another series of plaques are apparently at Wrexham's Memorial Hall on Bodhyfryd, where the two for the First World War have 383 names listed on them. We are particularly keen to find out if Pte George Griffiths, 1st Btn Royal Welch Fusiliers, who died on 31st May 1915, appears on either, or both, of these memorials. We would also very much like to obtain pictures of them, if at all possible? Maybe a similar request has appeared on the Forum already, in which case perhaps someone could direct us to the relevant postings. Many thanks.

Martin

#2 geraint

geraint

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,640 posts
  • Interests:4th RWF TF; Mametz Wood.

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:47 AM

Martin
Have you had any response? I'm off to Wrexham today. I'll see what I can get.

#3 joseph boyle

joseph boyle

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 243 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:58 AM

Hi have you looked to see if he is on the north wales heroes memorial in bangor,its on the university website.
cheers julie
ps i'm sure geraint will sort it out for you!

#4 'Ticker' Riley

'Ticker' Riley

Sergeant-Major

• Members2
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:21 PM

Sorry I haven't replied before now Geraint, but I hadn't had a chance until now to sit down and look at the Forum today! Many thanks indeed for the offer to try and take some photos of the memorials in Wrexham for us we'd really appreciate that.

Yes we did have one reply, Alister Williams sent me a PM about things. He's already published a two volume work on all the Welsh Victoria Cross recipients, and apparently is now working on researching all those named on the town's memorials. He has kindly said he will also try and send us some pictures, and we have sent him a few bits and pieces we have about George for his project.

I must also thank you Julie for directing me to the Bangor University site, which took me to that for the Bangor Civic Society here - http://www.bangorciv.../arch/index.htm, where I could see there are actually two listings for 'Griffiths G.'. I should think George was one, though without any more details on the boards it's hard to know for sure. I hadn't known anything about this memorial, so thanks again for telling us about it.

Best regard

Martin

#5 'Ticker' Riley

'Ticker' Riley

Sergeant-Major

• Members2
  • 51 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:01 PM

I thought I'd just post up enlargements of some of the photographs that Alister Williams has kindly sent us of the Wrexham memorials. The first one is of the relevant part from the memorial in the Parish Church to "the men of Wrexham who died for their country in the Great War" showing two listings for Privates "G. Griffiths" under the Royal Welsh Fusiliers' section:

The next picture is from one of the two First World War plaques in the Memorial Hall on Bodhyfryd showing a "Pte. Griffiths, G. R.W.F."

Whilst the final one is of the Wrexham panel in the North Wales Heroes Memorial Arch Building at Bangor, where again we have two entries for "Griffiths, G.":

It is not clear why the Memorial Hall plaque only gives one G. Griffiths whilst both the memorial in St Giles and the North Wales Heroes Arch have two. It's worth noting here that the other name under "Pte. Griffiths, G. R.W.F." is for a "Tpr. Griffiths, C. D. Guards", who would seem to be a Charles Griffiths, 9954, 6th Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers), as the plaque looks to have been partly arranged by regiment/corps first rather than being strictly alphabetical.

We've also been looking things up on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission's website and in the relevant volume of Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914-19, and there would appear to have been two George Griffiths who fought and died with the Royal Welsh, and who both lived in Wrexham - our George Griffiths, 10916, 1st Btn Royal Welsh Fusiliers, and another George Griffiths, 6641, 16th Btn Royal Welsh Fusiliers. This second George Griffiths, who is also commemorated on the Menin Gate at Ypres, was originally from Brymbo and died on 31 July 1917 aged 41. As this other George Griffiths was not a native of Wrexham it may be that the "Pte. Griffiths, G. R.W.F." named on the Memorial Hall plague is indeed our George Griffiths rather than the George from Brymbo.

Anyway, many thanks to Alister for the pictures.

Martin