Photo

Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers 9th bn

6 replies to this topic

#1 inniskilling

inniskilling

Lieut-Colonel

• R.I.P.
  • 762 posts
  • Interests:Inniskilling Fusiliers All Irish regiments All scottish regiments first world war , battle of the somme

Posted 24 January 2009 - 07:47 PM

Hi there I am trying to trace Private Wilson McConnell s/n20773 9th bn Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers I beleave he was killrd on the 1/7/1916. at the Somme. I would like to know when he was born . and when and where he enlisted. and where he was living at the time. thanking you all the best yours Inniskilling cool.gif

#2 Devonmaid

Devonmaid

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:Family history research<br />Manchester's cotton mills 1800's<br />The Indian Mutiny<br />Reading<br />Computing<br />Love travelling

Posted 24 January 2009 - 07:51 PM

From SDGW

Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914-1919

Name: Wilson MCCONNELL

Regiment, Corps etc.: Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Battalion etc.: 9th Battalion.

Raised at Omagh in Sept. 1914 from the Tyrone Volunteers and included two companies of Volunteers who had already joined the 5th and 6th Bns. To Finner Camp in 3rd Bde. Ulster Div. 2.11.14 formation became 109th Bde. 36th Div. Jan. 1915 to Randalstown. July 1915 Ballycastle. Early Sept. 1915 to Bordon area. Oct. 1915 to France. 11.11.18 109th Bde. 36th Div. France; Roncq, north of Tourcoing.

Last name: Mcconnell

First name(s): Wilson

Initials: W

Birthplace:

Enlisted: Coatbridge

Residence: Moneymore, Co. Derry

Number: 20773

Date died: 1 July 1916

How died: Killed in action

Theatre of war: France & Flanders

Ellie

#3 Devonmaid

Devonmaid

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:Family history research<br />Manchester's cotton mills 1800's<br />The Indian Mutiny<br />Reading<br />Computing<br />Love travelling

Posted 24 January 2009 - 07:53 PM

From CWGC

Name: McCONNELL, WILSON
Initials: W
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
Unit Text: 9th Bn.
Date of Death: 01/07/1916
Service No: 20773
Additional information: Son of John and Elizabeth McConnell, of Ballinanallard, Co. Fermanagh; husband of Sarah Lauchlan McConnell, of Brown's Land, Gartcosh, Glasgow.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 4 D and 5 B.
Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Ellie

#4 inniskilling

inniskilling

Lieut-Colonel

• R.I.P.
  • 762 posts
  • Interests:Inniskilling Fusiliers All Irish regiments All scottish regiments first world war , battle of the somme

Posted 24 January 2009 - 08:02 PM

Hi there Ellie. thanks a lot fot that. that was just great. All the very best yours Inniskilling rolleyes.gif

#5 tommy mcclimonds

tommy mcclimonds

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 716 posts
  • Interests:13th Royal Irish Rifles, Banbridge War Memorial

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:52 PM

Hi Inniskilling

His name appears to be on Enniskillen War Memorial, which covers all of County Fermanagh, the town of Ballinamallard included, see link below.

http://www.ulsterwar..._fermanagh.html

Regards, Tommy.

#6 inniskilling

inniskilling

Lieut-Colonel

• R.I.P.
  • 762 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 11:50 AM

Hi there Tommy. thanks a lot for that . It was just great. All the very best yours Inniskilling rolleyes.gif

#7 Wesley Wright

Wesley Wright

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 354 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 12:55 PM

Wilson McConnell lived in Moneymore per SDGW--Moneymore is a small town near where I was born. He is not on " Moneymore Memorial".
He has been included in the "Cookstown War Dead" book published in October 2007. The information in the book is similar to what has been already posted. Cookstown War Dead Book is based on the present Cookstown Council Area.
Wesley Wright