Photo

210mm Krupp howitzer

18 replies to this topic

#1 Matt Richards

Matt Richards

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 789 posts
  • Interests:History and militaria of the World Wars, and the Royal Engineers in the Great War.

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:40 PM

Last year, a poster on the World War I forum of the Missing-Lynx.com plastic modeling site tipped me off to the fact that there was a big German howitzer in a park in Hickory, North Carolina. That's only about 45 minutes north of me, so after months of other pressing business and bad weather, I finally took a road trip up there to check it out.

It's a 210mm Krupp howitzer from World War I, captured by American troops in France and eventually hauled back to Hickory as a trophy by the American Legion and set up in Union Park in downtown Hickory. It's a neat area ... the whole place is set up to look like the downtown would have in the 1930s.

I'm not sure how accurate it is, but a guy on waypost.com says the 210mm is pretty rare and that only 5 of them are left in the world.
Here's some pictures:

"210mm German howitzer surrendered to U.S. 1918
Placed here in memory of the men from this community
Who participated in the World War

Erected by Hickory American Legion Post No. 18, 5-30-27"

#2 Matt Richards

Matt Richards

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 789 posts
  • Interests:History and militaria of the World Wars, and the Royal Engineers in the Great War.

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:42 PM

Huh ... apparently I can't post more than 3 photos at a time.

#3 Matt Richards

Matt Richards

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 789 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:45 PM

#4 Rob Connolly

Rob Connolly

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 429 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 06:24 AM

Nice shots, thanks for posting! I was thinking "That's in pretty good condition. They haven't left the breech-block on, have they?" until photo 5.

#5 MLW

MLW

Sergeant-Major

• Members3
  • 73 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:54 AM

That howitzer is in remarkable condition considering it is nearly 100 years old and it is outside. Just look at the tanks and guns at Aberdeen Proving Ground. Most of them are much younger and in far worse condition. Perhaps it was inside for some period of time.

In case you have not seen this webpage, it endeavors to list all the surviving WWI artillery pieces. It is incomplete, but is a great effort. Of note, 21cm howitzers appear to be a relative rarity. Maybe you should email your photos to the webmaster - http://www.passionco...anonsIndex.html

#6 RobL

RobL

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,010 posts
  • Interests:RFC, Tanks, Gallipoli, Mountain Gunners, anything with a motor, wheels or wings

Posted 09 April 2009 - 03:05 PM

Fantastic photos Matt, thanks for sharing. Rumour has it the presentation artillery piece in my town was buried under where the sandpit now changes in the local park - maybe I should go digging!

#7 Guns1418

Guns1418

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:WW1 history<br />WW1 Artillery<br />WW1 fuzes

Posted 02 May 2009 - 02:44 AM

Hi Matt

very nice photos, and a pretty well preserved gun !

I'm the webmaster of www.passioncompassion1418.com, and a section of this website is dedicated to the WW1 surviving guns in the world (around 500 up to now)

You will see there that I count 6 surviving 210mm howitzers, but I have localised at least 3 other ones, and yours is therefore the 10th I know.

http://www.passionco....html#Allemagne

Would you agree to add these pictures in the database ? Of course you will be named as a contributor !

Thanks !

Bernard

#8 Rob Bulloch

Rob Bulloch

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Cameron Highlanders. Battle of Loos. Commonwealth and Imperial Scottish Regiments

Posted 02 May 2009 - 05:52 AM

Matt. Is this another one of the 210's?? the photograph was taken last June at the Inniskilling Castle Northern Ireland.

Aye Rob.

Attached Files

#9 Guns1418

Guns1418

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 05:06 PM

QUOTE (Rob Bulloch @ May 2 2009, 06:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Matt. Is this another one of the 210's?? the photograph was taken last June at the Inniskilling Castle Northern Ireland.

Aye Rob.

Hi Rob,

here is the list of the 210's I knew up to now :
21cm Mortar 1899 - Royal Army Museum - Brussels, Belgium pictures in here

21cm Mortar 1910 - Melbourne, Australia pictures in here
21cm Mortar 1910 - Plaines d'Abraham, Quebec, Canada pictures in here
21cm Mortar 1910 - Canadian Wars Museum, Ottawa, Canada pictures in here
21cm Mortar 1910 - Oregon Military Museum, Clackamas, USA pictures in here

21cm Mortar 1916 - Royal Army Museum - Brussels, Belgium pictures in here
21cm Mortar 1916 - Artillery Museum, Hameenlinna, Finlandpictures in here

I know there are these other ones, bu I did not add them to my database, as I do not have the pictures, or the autorization of the pictures owners to publish them :

21cm Mortar 1910 - Isis, Australia
21cm Mortar 1916 - Citadelle of Quebec, Canada
21cm Mortar 1916 - Washington Park - Waterbury CT, USA
21cm Mortar 1910 - somewhere near New York, New Jersey, USA
21cm Mortar 1910 - Jonkoping, Sweden

Now, we have two other ones :

21cm Mortar 1910 - Hickory, North Carolina, USA (see this post - I hope I'll be authorized to post it in that database website)
21cm Mortar 1910 - Inniskilling Castle, Northern Ireland (see this post - I hope I'll be authorized to post it in that database website)

This makes - at least - 14 surviving 21cm Mortars all around the world !

Any picture will be welcome !

Thanks

Bernard

#10 Gunner Bailey

Gunner Bailey

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,028 posts
  • Interests:WW1 Field Gear mainly hand and rifle grenades, V1s / V2s and their sites. The Somme, in all its aspects.

Posted 02 May 2009 - 05:26 PM

Welcome to the forum Bernard. Thanks for the information.

Gunner Bailey

#11 Rob Bulloch

Rob Bulloch

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Cameron Highlanders. Battle of Loos. Commonwealth and Imperial Scottish Regiments

Posted 02 May 2009 - 09:54 PM

Now, we have two other ones :

21cm Mortar 1910 - Oregon Military Museum, Clackamas, USA (see this post - I hope I'll be authorized to post it in that database website)
21cm Mortar 1910 - Inniskilling Castle, Northern Ireland (see this post - I hope I'll be authorized to post it in that database website)

This makes - at least - 14 surviving 21cm Mortars all around the world !

Any picture will be welcome !

Thanks

Bernard
[/quote]

Bernard.
You are more than welcome to use the photograph. Sorry I don't have one with just the Gun.

Aye Rob

#12 Matt Richards

Matt Richards

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 789 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 11:58 PM

You're very welcome to use them on your site, Bernard!

The howitzer is in Union Square in Hickory, N.C.

If you need more photos of the howitzer, I have them here

http://www.facebook....mp;l=17b3270d2a

#13 Guns1418

Guns1418

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 03:47 AM

Hi Rob and Matt

Thank you so much !

I will post your contributions on the blog and the website asap.

Friendly,

Bernard

#14 monarto

monarto

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:31 PM

I believe that I know of another one of these 21cm howitzers. A war trophy gun was allocated to the city of Footscray, a suburb of Melbourne, Australia. I have old newspaper clippings showimg the howitzer in a park. Some years ago there was a road widening project and the howitzer disappeared. Then, many years later there was some excavation work near the old Melbourne Exhibition building and 2 large gun barrels were dug up. One was taken over by a private military museum owned by a guy named Bernie Dingle. I believe that there is a reasonable chance that this is the Footscray howitzer. All I have to do now is work out how to post images and you will see what I mean.

#15 DavidB

DavidB

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,413 posts
  • Interests:genealogy and classical music.

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:09 PM

To think I worked at Victoria Barracks for ten years and never realized the significance of that gun. Marvellous condition
David

#16 monarto

monarto

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 01:52 AM

QUOTE (monarto @ Dec 10 2009, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I believe that I know of another one of these 21cm howitzers. A war trophy gun was allocated to the city of Footscray, a suburb of Melbourne, Australia. I have old newspaper clippings showimg the howitzer in a park. Some years ago there was a road widening project and the howitzer disappeared. Then, many years later there was some excavation work near the old Melbourne Exhibition building and 2 large gun barrels were dug up. One was taken over by a private military museum owned by a guy named Bernie Dingle. I believe that there is a reasonable chance that this is the Footscray howitzer. All I have to do now is work out how to post images and you will see what I mean.

#17 monarto

monarto

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 02:00 AM

QUOTE (monarto @ Dec 11 2009, 01:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#18 monarto

monarto

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 02:32 AM

QUOTE (monarto @ Dec 11 2009, 02:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are details with this clipping which are not correct. It is the Footscray 21cm howitzer I'm sure.

#19 monarto

monarto

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 02:46 AM

Here is another 21cm howitzer, located in Tasmania.

(Photo from Bill Billett's book "War Trophies".