Photo

Trones Wood/ Guillemont. 1916. small-gauge railway

10 replies to this topic

#1 20thdivision

20thdivision

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:15th div Ammunition column .
    20th div Ammunition column
    2/23rd London Reg't France/salonika/ Palestine.
    Battle of Tel-el-Sheria. Nov 1917.
    Ancient coins & medals.

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:08 PM

My Grand Dad worked at an Ammo' dump in Carnoy--his unit war diary talks of ammunition being taken forward from here by small-gauge railway,to Guillemont Station in OCTOBER after Guillemont had been re-taken ( and presumably this line/station rebuilt). I have some pics of "Guillemont Station" after it had been "wrecked"-but does anyone have any photos / info of the small-gauge railway that travelled this route during or just before the Somme offensive? ----Carnoy----Bernafay wood ?Trones wood etc? "thanks". Dave B.

#2 Havrincourt

Havrincourt

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 770 posts
  • Interests:Yorkshire Regiments that fought in the Great War, visiting battlefields ,researching trench maps and aerial photo's. Researching for our site http://www.tadcaster-ww1-memorials.com

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:19 PM

Hello Dave

Here is a map of the wooded area showing part of the rail route, It would be nice to see those pictures of the wrecked station

Hope this helps

Andy

Attached File  uy.jpg   76.98KB   2 downloads

#3 20thdivision

20thdivision

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 227 posts
    Ancient coins & medals.

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:25 PM

Hi Andy-Thanks for that-----it explains a lot. Didn't realise the line also went up northwards before Guillemont station!--Don't know its destination on this "spur" do you?
The photo is well documented in the batleground europe series "Guillemont" for example-can get a copy to you-but still not really sure how to get a photo up on the forum!!( I'm not too good with the ole computer). I will try over the weekend.
again "thanks". Best wishes Dave B.

Edited by Andrew Hesketh, 30 April 2009 - 05:33 PM.
Quote of text and image removed - just saving bandwidth!

#4 Havrincourt

Havrincourt

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 770 posts
  • Interests:Yorkshire Regiments that fought in the Great War, visiting battlefields ,researching trench maps and aerial photo's. Researching for our site http://www.tadcaster-ww1-memorials.com

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:30 PM

OK Dave that would be good, keep pressing the buttons and see what you can do, I've heard that before somewhere biggrin.gif

In the meantime here is a picture of one of the pill boxes in Trones wood......the light railway sits in the foreground

Andy

Attached File  trones.jpg   53.92KB   1 downloads

#5 20thdivision

20thdivision

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 227 posts
    Ancient coins & medals.

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:09 PM

QUOTE (Havrincourt @ Apr 30 2009, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK Dave that would be good, keep pressing the buttons and see what you can do, I've heard that before somewhere biggrin.gif

In the meantime here is a picture of one of the pill boxes in Trones wood......the light railway sits in the foreground

Andy

Attached File  trones.jpg   53.92KB   1 downloads

Andy-That's fantastic!!------------couldn't have hoped for a better reply-really appreciated Thanks.-good to see a bit of what my Granddad would have seen whilst taking up the ammunition!! I've been to Trones wood a couple of times ( bit different now!)-don't suppose I could really chance my luck by asking if you know wherabouts in trones wood the pill box was? ( probably a stupid question as there aren't too many landmarks are there!!)--and one of ours ? or one of theirs?
I really must learn to master the skills of getting an image onto a posting!!------I will persevere at weekend--you MIGHT have an image of GILLYMONT station---or there again----??!!
Anyway-really pleased with the photo you sent-thanks again!!
Best wishes Dave B.

#6 Mick D

Mick D

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:Western Front
    Depeche Mode
    Prodigy
    Stereophonics

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:00 PM

Dave,
Excuse me butting in, but the pill box in the photo is no more, there was a thread about this a while ago. Also the famous photo of the underground bunker in Bernafay Wood gives false hopes, it is also lost !

Mick

#7 Havrincourt

Havrincourt

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 770 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:21 AM

Yes Dave as Mick says this pill box is long gone , but it does show you a view of the light railway back then

Thanks

Andy

#8 Fat Frank

Fat Frank

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 173 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 08:31 AM

QUOTE (Havrincourt @ May 1 2009, 09:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes Dave as Mick says this pill box is long gone , but it does show you a view of the light railway back then

Stupid question and a hi-jack of the thread (sorry) but what happened to the pill boxes?

#9 Havrincourt

Havrincourt

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 770 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 01:24 PM

Hi Frank

Good question , these things where destroyed or taken apart as the locals wanted to return to working fields/woods or to take the area back to its natural beauty

Someone here on the Forum might know when unsure.gif

Andy

#10 20thdivision

20thdivision

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 227 posts
    Ancient coins & medals.

Posted 04 May 2009 - 05:12 PM

QUOTE (Havrincourt @ May 4 2009, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Frank

Good question , these things where destroyed or taken apart as the locals wanted to return to working fields/woods or to take the area back to its natural beauty

Someone here on the Forum might know when unsure.gif

Andy

Hi again Andy---I've found the original thread on the subject "pill box in trones wood" from october 2006. Very interesting-did anyone ever suss out the exact location of the pill box last seen about (10? ) years ago along the west side of trones wood by "trenchtrotter"?------and do you think this might have been the one in the 1919 photo? Was this "siting" ever resolved or ever "re-discovered" as far as you know? Interesting about the "branch line" in the photo. Can't locate a pill box ( from the sketch map originally sent by stebie9173 on this thread) anywhere near the "junction" to the east of Trones wood---again--did this issue ever get resolved as far as you know?
( hope you don't mind this barrage of questions about a 3 year old thread).
With many thanks. Dave. B.

#11 20thdivision

20thdivision

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 227 posts
    Ancient coins & medals.

Posted 04 May 2009 - 05:27 PM

QUOTE (20thdivision @ May 4 2009, 06:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi again Andy---I've found the original thread on the subject "pill box in trones wood" from october 2006. Very interesting-did anyone ever suss out the exact location of the pill box last seen about (10? ) years ago along the west side of trones wood by "trenchtrotter"?------and do you think this might have been the one in the 1919 photo? Was this "siting" ever resolved or ever "re-discovered" as far as you know? Interesting about the "branch line" in the photo. Can't locate a pill box ( from the sketch map originally sent by stebie9173 on this thread) anywhere near the "junction" to the east of Trones wood---again--did this issue ever get resolved as far as you know?
( hope you don't mind this barrage of questions about a 3 year old thread).
With many thanks. Dave. B.

p.s.--------STILL unable to work out how to get the picture to you of the destroyed rail station at GUILLEMONT. I will keep trying--I will have to go back to basics i think ( i.e. have a word with the 6 yr old computer genius who lives next door!). You WILL get it Andy "promise".!!
Best wishes dave.